The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2005, 09:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "Her Gentlemen from Vietnam"

I think this has been posted before, but...it's good for a second read.

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann-Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann-Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann-Margret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'"

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he was the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears. "That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army," he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann-Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2005, 10:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up ANN-MARGRET:

has always been a classy lady........and not too hard to look at, either. Great post Steve.

Happy New Year, Bro.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Kid, you home? Will give a shout if you are.

Happy New Year!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-03-2005, 07:12 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Thank You Ann Margret

Now there is ONE CLASSY LADY

GOD BLESS YOU ANN MARGRET

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again state:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 01-03-2005, 09:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

She's always been a sweetheart in my book
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

amen to that
Old 01-04-2005, 09:45 AM

Bob Hope always got the best people in his shows. They had class and always gave it their all for the troops. Ann - thank you for your contributions to us service folk. I'd give you a big hug - but we know that will never happen - ha ha .

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 01-04-2005, 10:10 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Ann

Bob Hope and his people visited lovely Cu Chi for a Christmas show, all went well. After if was over a young officer met her and said he wished that his men on the bunker line had a chance to see it, to see her. Ann asked where his men were. He said they were guarding the West Gate. In her red and white mini-mini skirt and white knee high boots she jumped into a jeep and visited those men, lifting their spirits, etc.

From that day on, west gate at Cu Chi was officially know as Ann Margret Gate. Someone took pictures of her on the bunker line. Those pictures, or copies, floated around for years.

Stay healthy,
Andy