The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Revolutionary War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2005, 07:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Bluehawk,

I may have told this story before but:

A former co-worker is a member of a Civil War re-enactment battery (Union). Their "commander" is a wealthy man who has often purchased civil war era cannons from communities. On a business trip to Georgia, he was driving through a small town and noticed a cannon in the local cemetery. It had several coats of grey paint but still looked in faily good conidition. He inquired about it and was told that it had been there for as long as anyone could remember and that kids would toss M-80's and cherry bombs down the barrel on the 4th. A purchase price was agreed upon and he had it shipped home. He arranged for it to be x-rayed for cracks and made a startling discovery... it was still loaded with double cannister shot...and the powder was still good! Fortunately the touchhole was covered over so it couldn't be fired. Now that would've made a very big bang on a 4th celebration.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by revwardoc Bluehawk,

I may have told this story before but:

A former co-worker is a member of a Civil War re-enactment battery (Union). Their "commander" is a wealthy man who has often purchased civil war era cannons from communities. On a business trip to Georgia, he was driving through a small town and noticed a cannon in the local cemetery. It had several coats of grey paint but still looked in faily good conidition. He inquired about it and was told that it had been there for as long as anyone could remember and that kids would toss M-80's and cherry bombs down the barrel on the 4th. A purchase price was agreed upon and he had it shipped home. He arranged for it to be x-rayed for cracks and made a startling discovery... it was still loaded with double cannister shot...and the powder was still good! Fortunately the touchhole was covered over so it couldn't be fired. Now that would've made a very big bang on a 4th celebration.
Good grief... what a story! Good thing those kids had not paid attention to their history ordnance lessons on PBS

I think the news article I read about the cannons had to do with someone who was intentionally buying up cannon solely for resale... who knows, it could have been sour grapes.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Unhappy

Blue , The person from PA that is buying up cannons for resale is buying them at Under value and some of his purchases have been illegal because some were still on loan from the Federal Army from 1865 to the Communities they were stationed at. Others were assumed to be the property of a cemetery or American Legion hall and the titles weren't correct. So, the legal owners were ripped off! One community in Maryland had to pay 27,000$ to buy back the cannon they misappropriated from a Cemetery that was owned by the Local VFW(cannon) ,not the City Running the Cemetery!
I posted the Article on PF earlier http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/sh...threadid=43921 about said person from PA . I hope this clears it up and that it wasn't Sour grapes referred too. But History being misappropriated from Communities and being left with a reproduction 5000$ cannon for a 50,000 dollar Civil War Parrot cannon.