The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Revolutionary War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2004, 05:46 AM

Default Eh?

No anniversary tributes to the shot heard round the world? In the name of the Republic, you are all stripped of your citizenship and property under suspicion of loyalist sympathies.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Oooops, Day Late!

Concord Hymn
Ralph Waldo Emerson

By the rude bridge that arched the flood.
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world.

The foe long since in silence slept;
Alike the conqueror silent sleeps;
And Time the ruined bridge has swept
Down the dark stream which seaward creeps.

On this green bank, by this soft stream,
We set to-day a votive stone;
That memory may their deed redeem,
When, like our sires, are sons are gone.

Spirit, that made those heros dare
To die and leave their children free,
Bid Time and Nature gently spare
The shaft we raise to them and thee.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:33 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default April 19th

I don't know if anyone else celebrated, but I sure did. I spent Saturday, the 17th, at the Hartwell Tavern in Lincoln, MA where I set up my surgery and lectured about rev-war era medicine to tourists then "treated" the wounded of both sides from the re-enactment of the fight at "The Bloody Angle".

The next night was the Colonel's Dinner at Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA. All of the contemporary colonel's of The Sudbury Companies of Militia & Minute meet there annually for dinner and drinks and jokes and drinks and stories and drinks and, oh yeah, we have a few drinks.

On Monday the SCMM recreates the "March to Concord". We meet at the Universalist Church in Wayland (MA) center (in 1775 it was known as East Sudbury), march to Sudbury Center then to North Bridge in Concord. It's about a 20 mile walk. Yesterday's weather was perfect, about 75 degrees with low humidity. Due to the heavy spring rains, about the last 100 yards of the path to North Bridge from the Buttrick Mansion was under a foot of water but it was nice and cool and great comfort to the feet. At the bridge we fired a 3 volley salute to the men of both sides who died there then it was back to the Wayside Inn for some drinks, the changing of the flag from the Union Jack to the Grand Union flag, some drinks, a post-march picnic, and some drinks.

This coming Friday night is our Regimental Ball when we dress in our colonial finery or our best uniforms (I'll wear my white 85eme Regiment de Saintonge grenadier corporal's uniform) and contra-dance the night away...and have a few drinks.

On a historical note, the only reason North Bridge is arched today is because of Emerson's poem. On April 19, 1775 the bridge was flat.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default revwardoc

Thank you for setting us straight on the proper marching order, uniforms, surgical and other procedures, and assorted reasons for having a drink, proposing a toast, liquidly remembering lost friends, and otherwise supporting the local purveyors of adult beverages!! Sounds you had a ball, not to mention a drink or several. Thank all the good ancestors up your way for what you did several centuries ago - we kinda followed along similar paths back in 1836 down here!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote