Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Riley

Riley
Let me tell you about Riley!

I’m sitting here with my Golden Lab / Shepard cross dog Riley. (It is now 1 am 01/12/2009 PST) In March he was diagnosed with anal cancer. We were told to expect the worse in a couple of months it is now January of 2009 nine months later. He was doing great Saturday, but then acted a little funny late that evening, began to shake all over I believe he had a seizure or stroke.

He has acted very dossal since then, patting heavily.

Now for the rest of the story.

My wife Marlies and I were married in 1990, I inherited three-step sons! At the time they were 18, 14 and 3 1/5. Talk about stepping into it!

The youngest began to show sign’s of ADD and depression so we got him a cockatiel, but it is hard to hug a bird!

So one day in the local Petaluma rag they had a section for the local pound, there was a picture of this lab with a “band aid” on his nose, birthmark. He was 10 month’s.

So I told Marlies let’s go see about a dog for my son something he could hug and hold more than he could ever do with the bird. She was very afraid of big dogs, but agreed to go and check it out. I on the other hand have always had dogs in my life.

We go to the pound, they bring in the dog, He sniff’s me, he sniff’s my son but he putt’s his head in my wife’s lap!!! The dog now get’s more respect from Marlies than I do, he is truly “the love of her life” thank god not in the “biblical sense” <☺

As we leave, I head out, 25 minutes latter I get the call “go get the dog” that was ten years ago.

So now, wife, my son and I sit here with a dog that is the “child” we never had on our own but is such apart of our life’s. To decide when to put him asleep, probably tomorrow or the next day. I’ll keep you posted. We will spread his ashes’ at Doran Park, Bodega Bay, his favorite place to play.

I find it amazing how deeply animals can take our hearts and are such an integral part of our life’s!

Dave
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Dave puttings ones dog down is one of the hardest things in the world to do. Dogs have away of growing on you. they will stand by you no matter what. here's a poem for you. Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I love animals...

Dogs and cats. Due to a few factors, we have cats instead of dogs. Had to put one down a few years ago and it broke my heart. Pets ARE FAMILY. Please don't let him suffer too long. I did that with my cat and you know, it was more for me then her. I realize that now and will never do it again. My heart goes out to you and your family Dave, it really does. Hang in there and let him go to a better place with no pain, like Chris has said.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Prayers out for you and your family Dave , it's a very hard journey but your doing the right thing for Riley. My dog , Bart , had to be put down several years ago and I still miss him but the day he died my wife went to the pound and got our new son Frank that was going to be put down that day. He is a joy to this old heart. Wishing you and Riley peace.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Guy's

We thank you for all your kind words.
Just came back from the Vet and she is coming to the house tomorrow, isn't that fantastic!

We will sure miss Riley as he is always ready to go to the beach his favorite place. Fortunately being in the photography business we have lots of pictures to remember him by.

Again thank you so much!

Dave
Riley 1999 - 2009
Riley.jpg
Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You know, I never heard of a human making a dog a better dog but the number of dogs that have made himans better humans is beyond number. This is Sam. We only had him a short while but I miss him every day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0280.JPG (31.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 1CAVCCO15MED; 01-12-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Dave,
I sympathize. Animals are closer than we seem to think when they've been part of the family. I lost a german shepherd/husky mix. She disappeared July, 3 2004. I still hide the sand from anyone. She was 14, the runt of the mix and the smartest.
Good luck tomorrow. Prayers out.
Steve

P.S. Ironically, I also had a yellow lab named Riley.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Sam looks like a character !
And you are so right on how they "train" us!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:55 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Two of the dogs are 9 years old now. Pricilla is a larger sized dog but seems to be going strong. Hate to think of the day it'll happen.

Pets are our family. I know not to everyone but they are to me.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I am sorry for your loss. Our Sheltie, that we had for 9 1/2 years, had to be put to sleep 4 years ago about the time my ex-wife and I separated. I have been looking for another Sheltie for about six months and may have found one near Jackson, TN. The litter should be born this week.

Dogs are special.

Larry