The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Enduring Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2010, 07:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default British sniper avenges his friend by killing Taliban

British sniper avenges his friend by killing Taliban

A sniper has spoken of avenging the death of his close friend in an extraordinary act of marksmanship in which he killed five Taliban.

By Thomas Harding, Camp Bastion
Published: 9:25AM GMT 08 Feb 2010

The joint assault is expected to clear the last remaining Taliban stronghold in central Helmand Photo: AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Fusilier Martin Williams described shooting the insurgents as a “vendetta” against those who killed his friend Robert Hunt, who was the 200th soldier to die in Afghanistan.

For nine hours without a break he manned a compound rooftop with a few sandbags hiding his position as he picked off the enemy.

“It’s hard to explain, and I know it sounds like something out of a film, but I felt that I have done my bit for Robert,” he said.

The 22-year-old soldier spoke as Bob Ainsworth, the Defence Secretary, confirmed that talks were continuing between Taliban leaders and Afghan politicians that would give more insurgents a chance to change sides before the launch of Operation Moshtarak. The assault, which involves 15,000 British, American and Afghan troops, is expected to clear the last remaining Taliban stronghold in central Helmand.

Fusilier Williams, of the 1st Bn The Royal Welsh, had passed the rigorous sniper school selection where only six out of 50 on the course were selected.

His skills were put to the test when his patrol came under fire after it moved into a compound in an area north of Lashkar Gah in central Helmand last Monday. He took up his position and waited patiently for enemy troops to appear. His victims included two Taliban shot in a ditch at a distance of about 800 yards, including one who was hit in the throat.

“He put his hand out as if asking someone to help but not one came,” the Welshman said. “There was definitely less movement after I dropped them.

“The Taliban are used to machine guns but as soon as you get a sniper on the ground, it puts the fear of God into them.”

While Fusilier Williams was happy to avenge his friend, it was not without cost.

“Night-time is the worst time because you cannot get the images out of your head, especially what happened to the young lad I hit in the throat,” he said.

For the Taliban it does not seem good news that the soldier is deploying again on Operation Moshtarak.

The name of the sniper has been changed to protect his security.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...g-Taliban.html

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Several years ago, in fact it was 2005 -2006, my duaghter Holly was working in the town of Lashkar Dah (I think it's a 'D' instead of a 'G'), in Helmand province. Thankfully, she's no longer there, but working instead in Kuwait City, for a commission headed up by Tony Blair.

Good for the Brit sniper! We need more like him.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote