Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Passing down our Civil War History

reprinted from the commentary section of patriotfiles.com

By Tamaroa, Sunday, August 19, 2001

Our children and their lack of knowledge as it relates to Civil War history should be carefully examined. The thought surfaced as a result of witnessing reactions I received after presenting several lectures at local libraries. It didn?t sink in right away but a couple of days later an idea occurred. Maybe I was going after the wrong audience! All along my efforts have been addressed to the county?s and state? s citizens who had some political power or knowledge of the situation. But, what about our children?

They are our most valuable resource. We pass down to our progeny not just our physical traits but our thoughts and interests as well. In today?s economy when it is often necessary for two parents to work in order to maintain a comfortable household, something else suffers and that is the nurturing of a child?s mind. Coupled with the requirements for two income families, we have in addition, a state government that presents to our schools a syllabus so crowded with information that teachers often leave out important events in our history.

As a result our children suffer. Who chose what material to leave out in order to accommodate an ever-increasing time line for the fixed period of a semester? The subject most susceptible to this constant editing is of course, history, Civil War history in particular. It takes up time but how important is it? How can we learn from our past mistakes if we are not taught what happened before us. Paraphrasing Shelby Foote, the Civil War transformed the nation. It changed our perception of ourselves (It used to be the United States are?.. now it?s the United States is??.) removing forever the state?s right to secede and making us whole. To ignore the men on both sides and their reasons for fighting is to not only ignore what we were but what we have become.

I once presented a short sketch of the life of a Civil War soldier to my daughter?s class at North Rockland High School. Once the presentation began, it was made clear to me that the students had absolutely no knowledge about the Civil War itself. They knew the standard time worn reasons why the war started. They knew that the North subjugated the South during reconstruction. But they did not know then, nor do they know now why Billy Yank or Johnny Reb fought the war. They didn't know about his music or his fears of being caught dead, literally with a pack of cards or a pipe in his haversack.

It is not being suggested that the schools go into detail about the battles in the Civil War. But, spending no time at all discussing the soldiers themselves is to dismiss the profound impact that the war?s experience may have had on them. One example that comes to mind is Woodrow Wilson. He was an isolationist President of the United States from war ravaged Virginia. Imagine the stories he heard from his family.

Here is a partial list of books that are real eye-openers for young adults as regards the average Civil War soldier:

Hard Tack and Coffee by John D. Billings, Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia by Carlton McCarthy, Four Years in the Stonewall Brigade by John O. Casler, Gone for a Soldier by Alfred Bellard and finally Thirteen Months in the Rebel Army by William G. Stevenson.

There are a host of others, but these few books will give them an insight into the heart and soul of the fighting soldiers who wore both blue and gray. These books give you insight into some questions. Why did that Federal soldier make 9 separate charges against an impregnable Confederate position at Fredricksburg, marching forward with heads bent down as if walking through a rains storm instead of a storm of musketry? Why did that Ragged, shoeless Rebel charge across an open field at Gettysburg, in mid charge to stop and dress their lines, face front and continue the charge? Two thirds of them killed or wounded at day?s end.

At Fredricksburg, why did Confederate Richard Kirkland from the 2nd South Carolina Infantry jump over the stone wall with armloads of canteens to succor the wounded Federals on the other side of the walls, risking his own life? This is the stuff of drama. It is the American pagent and it is wholly ignored in schools. It is not politically correct to even suggest that the Southern soldier had even a modicum of bravery in his stout heart.

Consequently the Northern soldier suffers as well. The above-mentioned books should at least be required reading to correct that problem.

Today this is especially true when the many states are in the midst of projects to preserve their flag collections that the Civil War soldier so cherished in that bygone era. These, should be preserved by everybody. Businesses, Civil War hobbyists and school children, everybody should be involved.

But the sad fact is that these kids can?t tell you anything about the companies of men raised by their county or town for the Civil War. You cannot know where you are going unless you know where you have been. That is why it is so important to educate the youngsters in our schools about the Civil War. Yes, the causes are important and yes reconstruction marked a new chapter in our young country?s life but 625,000 men gave their lives fighting for their dream of what the country should be. Do we not owe them? Our children should read about the Civil War soldier, his hopes and dreams, the horrors he endured. They should know what these veterans gave up to understand what we are today.

Tamaroa
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 05:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

A good letter Tamaroa another good book for kids to read is "Co Aytch" by Sam Watkins from Columbia,Tenn CSA soldier in the War for Southern Independance aka Civil War (sic)
Old 05-27-2005, 03:26 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

In conjuction with our Rev War hobby, my wife and I frequently lecture at historical societies and historical venues. In fact we recently lectured at the Paul Revere House in Boston and will be at Old Sturbridge Village in MA and Fort Adams in Newport, RI later this summer.

We've tried to lecture at schools but, for the most part, have been rebuffed since their entire curriculum is geared towards the students passing the end-of-year MCAS exams. They simply don't have the time for extras like living history re-enactors.

I've noticed that the lack of knowledge of the American Revolution is absolutely appalling, and getting worse. For that matter, American history in general. Today, people would rather spend money on MP-3 players and going to the movies than buying a book.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

A few things to say about the Civil War for those who may just be cruising thru here. Slavery was dead wrong. No argument about that with me. The Civil War could have been averted if reasonable men in the North and South had worked on this. The issue was about money...isn't it always ? The international bankers wanted the North to take total control of the South, in violation of the Constitution of the United States. The acts committed by Sherman during his "March to the Sea" would be classified as war crimes now. I celebrate those ancestors of mine who fought for their homes and families against an invader who circumvented the Constitution of the United States and the laws of war. My relatives who fought in this war didn't own slaves, because they were just poor dirt farmers. 'Nuf Sed.

Larry
Old 10-20-2005, 07:28 AM

David,
Very well said! I write a veterans column for my local newspaper. This past week I wrote a little bit about the "Palmyra Massacre" that occured on 10 October 1862 in North East Missouri.
It is the first in a series of articles that I am doing on our local, regional and American history. These are pretty condensed versions as I have limited space but I hope to get something out to folks about our history and our heritage that they are not getting at school.
I too have spent hours at our local schools talking about Veterans, Veterans Day, the military, our Flag and other subjects. I used to spend almost all my time at the High School until I realized that I was missing the boat!
I then started going to the 4th & 5th grade several years ago. This age group just soaks in everything! They really want to hear and learn about these subjects. They ask pretty good questions, too!
The teachers have been very supportive as well! Anyway, it's a start. I just hate to see our history and our heritage just slide away into nothing.
TC
Old 10-21-2005, 09:01 PM

Distinctions
Staff 

I would like to add to the list of books "The Story of a Common Soldier" by Leander Stillwell.

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote