The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2005, 11:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Robert Lee's June Bride

On June 30, 1831, Robert E. Lee, son of "Light-Horse Harry" Henry Lee and Ann Carter, was blessed in marriage with Mary Custis, only daughter of Mary and George Washington Parke Custis, at Arlington House... the home built on land inherited from Mary Custis' grandmother, Martha Washington... which is now Arlington National Cemetery.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

My Baby Sister was Born on June 30th 1974 I can now tell her that she shares her birthday with Gen Lee's wedding aniversary
And to add to this The Field HQ's of the Army of the Potomac were established in Arlington House and then to punish Robert E Lee and his kin they turned his fields into a National Cemetery to say "Take this old man" And did the US Government pay Gen Lee and his kin for the eminent domain stolen Land ,Nope not one red cent all coverd under the 13th Amendment . As Paul Harvey says "and thats the rest of the story"
Old 06-17-2005, 07:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry D My Baby Sister was Born on June 30th 1974 I can now tell her that she shares her birthday with Gen Lee's wedding aniversary
And to add to this The Field HQ's of the Army of the Potomac were established in Arlington House and then to punish Robert E Lee and his kin they turned his fields into a National Cemetery to say "Take this old man" And did the US Government pay Gen Lee and his kin for the eminent domain stolen Land ,Nope not one red cent all coverd under the 13th Amendment . As Paul Harvey says "and thats the rest of the story"
About four weeks ago, I was assigned by the professional association to which I belong to do a collections evaluation and site visit at the National Building Museum, in DC.

Turns out, the architect of that magnificent building was none other than General Montgomery Meigs... the very same Union General who ordered the confiscation of Arlington, and buried the first Union fallen in their front yard. It was he, too, who engineered the trumped up charge that Mrs. Lee had not paid her back taxes, and therefore their home was taken. The way he did it, was to see to it that the tax BILL never got sent.

Their son sued the government to regain the family home, and eventually settled for a cash payment. By that time, many dead had been buried there, in what was then thought of as a "Potter's Field."

Happy Birthday, to your little sister
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote