The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2004, 09:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Rolling Thunder XVII was in Bartlett, TN on May 25 !!

Rolling Thunder XVII was in Bartlett, TN on May 25 !!

Ride for Freedom -- Operation : Carry the Flame

They were at the Bumpus Harley-Davidson dealership not far from my home. I took a bunch of pics that I will post soon. They started in Barstow, CA on May 18. There were about 100 or so riders, many Vietnam combat veterans. Some of their nicknames I copied down were :

Artie, Greasy, Freeway, Bungee, King, Puff, Big T, Big Sky, Wizard, Canada, Lucky Strike, Skywalker, Billboard, Sleeper, and many others...

more info at : www.rollingthunder1.com

I took my yougest son and we stayed about 3 hours. I found one vet who flew choppers for the 25th Avn. in 1970 and probably supported my company. One dude had some of the most interesting tatoos I have ever seen..I hope the pics turn out..and guess what..he was from the 101st !!! I have his name and unit somewhere...

I was able to meet most of them and give them a "Welcome Home". a lot of great stories. The VA brought some vets in wheel chairs and otherwise, but unfortunately many of them were really drugged up. I sat across from one and tried to carry on a conversation, but his mind was elsewhere. He looked right through me....

There was a speech by the leader which brought up some new info about the treatment of American POWs from 1952 forward gleaned from a Russian officer. I believe it was initially given to the Senate and was classified. It is being made public and essentailly means our men were used as guinea pigs in various experiments......

At the end there was a ceremony where a torch was lit and passed around with those on the ride.

In the dealership, were many antique motorcycle all the way back to 1911. I took pics of these also. I made a contribution and got a pin and patch. I am going to put the pin on my boonie hat ( was a size 7 and fit great in 1970..( doesn't fit so good now after gaining 90+ lbs. LOL ) and will mail the patch to the first person who PMs me and gives me their mailing address..

Gosh, the prices of bikes !! Yikes !! I didn't see any lower than about $ 8,000 and a few over $ 20,000...they even rent them out for $ 100 per day with a $ 2,000 deposit !!

It was a very good day. I hope my pictures will do it justice.

Larry
Old 05-28-2004, 04:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Dude

White Oak is riding with this group. Keep riding Danny.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:23 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry
just wanted to say hi here, see how youre doing.
This must have been fun and to take your son with you must have been good too. My son's coming up to work for me for a little and then he's off to Costa Rica for the summer.
I sure enjoyed Memphis, thanks for going around with me there. Have you been back to that music store yet?
I'm heading off to do some El Toro sailing up in Whiskeytown Lake up in Northern CA, this holiiday weekend, there's races there (self not in but people I go with are)
Later dude

James
Old 05-29-2004, 02:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James :

That was a nice day with you on Beale St. Glad you enjoyed it. We are going down one day again to get some items for my friend in Germany who invited us over in July. I have been listening to the CDs I purchased. The one recorded in Angola penetentiary in 1959 is blues at the gut level.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Please do me a favor. Send me the specs / brand on the digital camera you were using. How often do you have to change the battery ? I understand that this is a problem on the cheaper models. Yours seemed to be just what I need for our trip to Europe. Thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have a safe trip !

Larry