The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Unhappy Designer Dogs

Please allow me this rant. I'm open to hear other opinions on this subject, but let's keep it civil, thank you.

Designer Dogs
This has become a growing trend lately, in my area at least. As a long time dog owner and trainer (Basic and Advanced Obedience, Agility, Fly Ball, Herding, Drug Intervention) I find this new trend alarming! I've owned a number of Pure Bred dogs, Akitas' (1 rescue), Corgis- Pem's and Cardi's, (1 rescue of each) Australian Shepard along with a few rescued Mutts. All were/are well trained and very much loved. I purposely bought these breeds for the inherited traits, protection, herding.
With all the dogs out there that are put up for adoption, wind up in various breed rescues, and are just plain given away as pets; WHY, would anyone purposely set out to breed MUTTS??? Why would anyone pay outrageous amounts of money to buy one of these MUTTS??? A Labradoodle (F-2*) for $1500, that's just plain crazy! Some of these other MUTTS are being sold for $700-$900 in some Connecticut Pet Stores.
The breeds listed below are fine all by themselves, there is NO sound reason to breed these animals together! Some of these breeding's are going to wind up with animals that are uncontrollable or just not what the new owner wants! In a case that I have first hand knowledge of: the owner of a Goldendoodle has his hands full. This is the second generation of this dog. {* A Golden Retriever bred to a Standard Poodle, it's off spring gets the classification of F-1. This dog is a Goldendoodle bred to a Goldendoodle, thus an F-2. People in the business of breeding these MUTTS state that it will take at least an F-5 breeding before this dog develops the ability not to shed!} I wonder how many first generation (F-1) animals were sold under the premise that these dogs do not shed? This particular dog acts like a young Golden, not a more reserved Standard Poodle.
The Fly Ball crowd may have started this trend. Over the years I've been involved with this sport more and more purposely bred MUTTS have been showing up on the circuit. Animals such as the Staffy-Jack, a Staffordshire Terrier bred to a Jack Russell Terrier, a crazy small dog with amazing jaw power. The Border-Jack, a Border Collie bred to a Jack Russell Terrier. Bred for the speed of a Border Collie and the size of a Jack Russell. And yes, they command the same crazy prices as I mentioned before.
I'm disgusted with the whole mess!
Here's some of the MUTTS:
Beagapoo - Beagle/Poodle Beagapoo - Beagle/Poodle Bich-Poo - Bichon /Poodle Boxerdoodle - Boxer/Poodle Cairnoodle - Cairn Terrier /Poodle Cavapoo - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel / Poodle Chi-Poo - Chihuahua/Poodle Cockapoo - Cocker Spaniel/ Poodle Doodleman Pinscher - Doberman/Standard Poodle English Boodle - English Bulldog/Poodle Eskapoo - American Eskimo Dog / Poodle Goldendoodle - Golden Retriever/Poodle Labradoodle - Labrador Retriever/Poodle Lhasapoo - Lhasa Apso/Poodle Malti-Poo - Maltese/Poodle Papoo - Papillion/Poodle Pekepoo - Pekingese/Poodle Pomapoo - Pomeranian/Poodle Pugapoo - Pug/Poodle
Saint Berdoodle - Saint Bernard/Poodle Schnoodle - Schnauzer/Poodle Scoodle - Scottish Terrier/Poodle Shepadoodle - German Shepherd/Standard Poodle Shih-Poo - Shih-Tzu/Poodle Weimardoodle - Weimaraner/Poodle Westiepoo - West Highland White Terrier/Poodle Whoodles - Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier/Poodle Yorkipoo - Yorkie/Poodle Cocabichon - Cocker Spaniel/Bichon Malti-Pom - Maltese/Pomeranian Pomchi - Pomeranian/Chihuahua Peek -A-Pom - Pekingese/Pomeranian Puggle - Pug/Beagle Yorktese - Yorkshire Terrier/Maltese

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My ex-wife got what was supposed to be a pom-chi.....it turns out it is about 80% chi...anyway we found this site when she got the little pup...truly, truly disturbing....

www.dogbreedinfo.com/hybriddogs.htm
Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

It's appears to be nothing more than a poormans way to sell an "All-American" dog. Name something that doesn't have papers and couldn't get them anyway and try sell it. THEY"RE MUTTS, PEOPLE.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MUTT,...

...Now I got a MUTT,...

...After my ex. left mine out in 01 to git tagged by a local motrotrvehicle, I ended up havin' to replace man's best friend, yes friends it was bad enough, but to have to go up on the mountain to git dis dog i got now was sumptin like Woody en his friend agrued about in04 on the Southern mountain,.......

...This place was straight out of DELIVERNCE, dark at noon, several other motrovehicles scatted around the yard up on ce-ment blocks, did'nt see no adults, just one stringey haired little girl who drawled, "you heeer for the puppy", and I'm ""like"", errr, is your mother here???????????????????, no responce, she just walked away, I didn't even want to peer around the corner of the door, well let's go back a step, cover the listing in the newspaper for the dog,...

...Rottweiler/Boxer/Lab mix,...........................hmmmmmmmmmmm? what would that be like, well got one dead dog, and being that the options were limited at that time of year, I caved in, and drove the 60 miles to go look at the critter, mostly out of curiosity/ amusment,....

...BUT THEN I WAS RUDLY SNAPPED BACK TO REALITY WHEN, The ugliest dog in the world growled at me from accross the plywood barrier blocking its removal from the kitchen, yep that 36" piece of 1/4 inch plywood gonna save my ass, right, she was brindle in color, brown, and white tiger with a PHUCKIN ROTTWEILER HEAD, she looked like Bob had been nursing on her for six weeks, I thought with her low gutterence of growls, it was either I'm going to kill you, and let these puppies knaw on your remaining flesh, but it was more of "get these little b*#%$*&s away from me,...

...by now about 5 minutes had passed, and the little stringy haired girl came back, and handed me a pure black puppy, real long, and, sumthin was wrong, just couldn't place it until, I got to the truck, and realized this dog ain't got no tail, and my first shuddering thought was "they ate it", but quickly cleared my head, and handed the pup to the awaiting children in the rear, and the said, "HE AIN'T GOT NO TAIL", so now it's time to be quick on the feet, and explain why they remove certain tails on different breeds, etc, whew, they bought that line of sdfghj,....

...I still think they ate it,...

...I still got him although his is responsable for giving me that concussion, SOB,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I have:

Two males:
Miniature Poodle, Miniature Dashund. Both pure breds. But, I've had various mixes that we got from an animal shelter. The mix breed dogs were just as smart and just as good of pets as the pure breds. The smartest dog we every had was a cockapoo, half spaniel and miniature poodle. We got her at an animal shelter. The problem with many pure breds is they have bred the brains out of them in puppy mills. Some breeds have real problems with various diseases but if mixed with another breed they are healthy as pets. The best hunting dog I've ever had was a half britiany spaniel and half golden lab. I have never nor do I advocate mixing breeds, but that's how new breeds do come along.

Keith
Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

My sister has a mix breed dog thats part beagle and part Dachshund with the Beagle genes this dog hasn't the arthritis that aka dachshunds get and it looks a lot like a small Basset hound. But when them puppy mills are turning out the dog dujour just to make lots of money then its ridicules. A dog thats bred to make it healthier is a good thing but the ones bred for a newest toy aspect are ridiculous!
Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

They have been cross breading animals for a very long time,
A boxer is-------
A mule is-------

People don't buy them , then people wouldn't make them.
Besides that they don't taste any different at all.

Ron
Old 01-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Curtis :

Where did you get this dog ? In New York ? I doubt folks talk like that up yonder .....LOL

Larry
Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry,...

...You have yor mountains, we have our hills, and some of them are back in thar' so to speak, NY isn't all I beams, and glass, lot of rolling hills, steep inclines, canyons, and"wildcats',...

...You can hit the hills, live off the land, provide shelter etc with relative ease, abundence up here, but Mayfield, was just one of those out there kind of Towns,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 01-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Jerry

Jerry our Dashund is 12. Still thinks he is 2 however he is a little over weight. But no signs of arthritis he is an AKA dashund.
ScooterDDawgHixson. Have to have strange names. Scooter the Dog Hixson. He also has a very loving sweet temperment.

Keith