The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I have a VA outreach clinic within 20 minutes. Just have to go to the main hospital to be assigned a doctor, and go from there now that I Am 40%. I really need an hearing exam, since the hearing loss was denied by the VA, and that I had a pre-exisiting condition when I was drafted, and as was shown in My pre-induction physical. Total BS! Did not start a hearing loss that was detected by the army until a physical in 1981 12 years after induction.??? I'm still applying for the ringing in the left ear.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM

Keep in mind that preexisting conditions, to include hearing loss or anything else, can be adjudicated to be a service connected condition. I had a preexisting injury to my right knee from junior high school. It would give out on me when walking, marching and such. I hid it on my induction physical and took the butt-chewing when it would cause me to mess up when marching. Then in Viet Nam I had the good fortune to get shot in that same knee. The VA says, "No problem."

I even hid the fact that it was a preexisting condition from the VA when I first got out of the Army. But then I learned that as long as it was aggrivated by military service the whole problem was theirs. I am rated 10% service connected for what in reality was a preexisting condition. It was just that some Viet Cong helped me cut through the government red tape. Gee, I hope he isn't too dead.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Topp

Quote:
Originally Posted by formergrunt70 View Post
Now correct Me if I'm wrong. Maybe I had a mis-understanding. I retired in 1989 in pretty good health. In 1991 I started with the high blood pressure stuff (hypertension). So I went to the VA medical center in Memphis to schedule an appointment. The front desk asked Me several questions concerning eligeability. It was determined that I had no service connected disabilities, and in receipt of retirement pay. Therefore I was over the VA threshhold. Stated that I fell in Category 8, and would be required to pay a co-pay if seen
by the VA. From that point on I was always under CHAMPUS and utilized the Naval air station clinic where I was assigned a Primary care doctor. Now that it is TRI-CARE, and under TRI-CARE prime. I get all of My medical through them to include medications. Now
that I have a service connected disability of 40%, and being retired do I still fall into the category 8 group? Hope You are understanding all of this. Bottomline: Am I eligeable for
VA health care at no charge?

Sorry it took me this long to respond, I've been REAL busy lately and unable to get "on line" for a couple of days now.

Short answer-----No, you're not.

If you are at "40%" like you said, you fall into category or priority group 2.

You must be at 50% or better to get further benefits.

You can check your own "eligibility status" at the VA web site below:

www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/

I have also copied & pasted the actual rating chart that describes in limited detail at what percentage rate qualifies you for.( and anyone else for that matter)

All Enrollment Priority Groups

Priority 1:

Veterans with VA-rated service-connected disabilities 50% or more disabling

Veterans determined by VA to be unemployable due to service-connected conditions

Priority 2:

Veterans with VA-rated service-connected disabilities 30% or 40% disabling

Priority 3:

Veterans who are Former Prisoners of War (POWs)

Veterans awarded a Purple Heart medal

Veterans whose discharge was for a disability that was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty

Veterans with VA-rated service-connected disabilities 10% or 20% disabling

Veterans awarded special eligibility classification under Title 38, U.S.C., § 1151, “benefits for individuals disabled by treatment or vocational rehabilitation”

Priority 4:

Veterans who are receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits from VA

Veterans who have been determined by VA to be catastrophically disabled

Priority 5:

Nonservice-connected veterans and noncompensable service-connected veterans rated 0% disabled by VA with annual income and net worth below the VA National Income Thresholds

Veterans receiving VA pension benefits

Veterans eligible for Medicaid programs

Priority 6:

World War I veterans

Compensable 0% service-connected veterans

Veterans exposed to Ionizing Radiation during atmospheric testing or during the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Project 112/SHAD participants

Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations after November 11, 1998 as follows:

Currently enrolled Veterans and new enrollees who were discharged from active duty on or after January 28, 2003, are eligible for the enhanced benefits for 5 years post discharge

Veterans discharged from active duty before January 28, 2003, who apply for enrollment on or after January 28, 2008 are eligible for this enhanced enrollment benefit through January 27, 2011

NOTE: At the end of this enhanced enrollment priority group placement time period Veterans will be assigned to the highest Priority Group their unique eligibility status at that time qualifies for.

Priority 7:

Veterans with income and/or net worth above the VA national income threshold and income below the VA National Geographic Income Thresholds who agree to pay copays

Priority 8:

Veterans with income and/or net worth above the VA National Income Thresholds and the VA National Geographic Income Thresholds who agree to pay copays

Veterans eligible for enrollment: Noncompensable 0% service-connected and:
Subpriority a: Enrolled as of January 16, 2003, and who have remained enrolled since that date and/or placed in this subpriority due to changed eligibility status

Subpriority b: Enrolled on or after June 15, 2009 whose income exceeds the current VA National Income Thresholds or VA National Geographic Income Thresholds by 10% or less

Veterans eligible for enrollment: Nonservice-connected and:

Subpriority c: Enrolled as of January 16, 2003, and who have remained enrolled since that date and/or placed in this subpriority due to changed eligibility status

Subpriority d: Enrolled on or after June 15, 2009 whose income exceeds the current VA National Income Thresholds or VA National Geographic Income Thresholds by 10% or less

Veterans not eligible for enrollment: Veterans not meeting the criteria above:

Subpriority e: Noncompensable 0% service-connected

Subpriority g: Nonservice-connected

---END---

Hope this helps to explain the "system" a little better for you Topp.

Sorry you've had problems with some of the employees at your local VA clinic. I've had a few problems with some of the "clerical" types at my old VA hospital in Atlanta and a doctor as well.

But-----since I've moved back down here to Tampa and I'm now enrolled at the James A. Haley VA Medical Center I can honestly say.....without question!....I am getting WORLD CLASS medical treatment AND being treated with great respect from ALL employees as well.

It's good to hear that many others are getting the same, like they described on this thread.

Stay Healthy!,

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks
I'm very clear on this matter. Just pray for Me tommorrow as I try to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth that carries a history of 40 years to the exact date. October 69-October 2009. I'm a bit nervous for some reason, but I will get through this. C&P exam
with a psychologist (VA) and what they call a psychology exam is the second part of the exam.
Take care
(nervous in the service)
Old 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default You got it Topp!

I'll make SURE that you will be in my prayers tommorrow!

Good luck....and try and get plenty of rest tonight.

God Bless.........

Gimp

PS---I hear ya loud and clear about that "40 year stuff"! Three days from now (November 5) I'll be "celebrating"???-----my FORTY-TWO (42) YEAR "anniversary" of my getting wounded in Nam. It was 8:04 PM on a Sunday night, November 5, 1967. The day that changed my life forever. The good Lord saw fit for me to make it through that night (and the remaining 18 months and eleven more operations later) alive and still "kicking"----even though I don't "kick" quite as well as I did BEFORE that night!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Got You Brother! After all the stuff We went through. We are still blessed to be 6' above ground, and in the vertical position.