The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2006, 05:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Individual Unemployability (IU) next 'target' of politicians??

My wife thinks the work I do with veterans issues and volunteer work keeps me busy and is something I seem to enjoy...she says it looks like I'm just waiting for government officials, beauracrats and politicians to say stupid things. There's some truth to that...so, here we go again.

From VA Watchdog.

Senator Larry Craig (R-ID), Chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs, just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get in his two cents worth recently in a Senate hearing on IU. VA NEWS FLASH here...

http://www.vawatchdog.org/newsflash/...-25-2005-3.htm

and Senate pages on the hearing, including testimony here...

http://veterans.senate.gov/index.cfm...arings&rID=290 .

Shortly thereafter, Craig's office issued a press release about the hearing and his proposals dealing with IU. Notice that Craig confuses unemployed with unemployability. Press release here...

http://www.vawatchdog.org/senatecvan...ws10-28-05.htm

The title of the press release refers to "unemployed" veterans...but the graph he uses represents claims awarded to "unemployable" veterans. Right off the bat we know Craig's off-base.

For Senator Craig's sake, here is the difference (I apologize to all the veterans who read this because I know that you know the difference).

UNEMPLOYED = NOT WORKING

UNEMPLOYABLE = CAN'T WORK

Now that Senator Craig has been clued-in, let's look at what he's trying to do.

Veterans getting IU benefits have been declared unemployable because they CAN'T work. Those veterans just didn't say, "Hey, I haven't worked in three years....so......" Competent medical authority verified their unemployability and that information was accepted by the VA.

Now, Craig wants IU veterans employed. Craig said, "...the presumption must be that every individual with disabilities can overcome barriers to employment." Really? Then why does the VA offer IU compensation?

Craig also said, "The IU benefit should be viewed as the benefit of last resort." It already is. If a veteran can't work...they get the benefit after the VA determines the validity of the claim.

This, folks, is about MONEY. ONLY MONEY! Just like the review of PTSD awards...this is about lots and lots of money.

Also from Craig: "I reject the notion, put forth by some at the hearing, that veterans with disabilities can?t work, that we shouldn?t waste resources even making the effort to try, and that looking for work is somehow demeaning. We should provide people with every opportunity for financial growth."

I challenge anyone to find testimony made during that hearing that backs up Craig's above statement. It didn't happen.
Craig's agenda is to cut IU benefits...plain and simple.

Craig wants all you 50- and 60-something Vietnam era veterans who are collecting IU to get off your butts...go find a good paying job that isn't taken by a younger person...and make sure the employer gives you plenty of time off for VA healthcare visits and doesn't mind that you're medicated. (Maybe a greeter at Wal-Mart?)

This is absurd...but, this is what veterans have to look forward to from this administration and a Congress that views VA benefits as just another expense.

Get out that jar of 'vaseline' folks, it's coming at us again!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2006, 09:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Let's see...all of our airlines are so far in debt is it is unfathomable....Ford and GM will likely have to merge to survive.......There are maybe 30,000,000+ ( no one knows the real number ) of illegal aliens in this country who will ( the bill is in Congress ) soon be declared American citizens ( "guest workers" ), because they illegaly live in this country, pay no taxes, and do nothing else we as citizens have to do....the budget deficit is so far in the red, no one gives a damn....the "war" in Iraq is "unwinnable", with no end in sight.....the drug companies in this country continue to overcharge everyone and seek to hook very young children and animals on their high priced meds....Our food and drink are laced with poisons called "sugar free" ( Aspartame and all its realtives ) that promote obesity and diabetes....High frustose corn syrup is in everything which also has a link to diabetes. Our public school system is so dumbed down that many college freshmen spend a year or more doing "makeup" work at college..... The recent medicare "drug plan" is a complete disaster.....Lobbyists run wild in Congress, even though there have been bill after bill passed in the last 40 years to stop this......Half the country is too damned lazy to even register to vote, and many that do mindlessly re-elect pompous lying, corrupt, incumbents that could care less about their citizens.....Most corporations in this country are being rapidly sold to foreign investors....The "war on terror" is a vile joke when our borders are so porous that there are tunnels underneath big enough to march an army through....Mexican soldiers in humvees come across the border any time they want to to safeguard drug trafficking....

But NO....it is open season on veterans who have paid their taxes, served their country, and jumped through all the many hoops that the VA put in the way.........

F**K em.

Larry
Old 02-03-2006, 03:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

Well said my friend!...........I couldn't have said it better myself!

Anyone who is currently getting Individual Unemployability should have reason for concern.

Nothing seems to be 'untouchable' to these jerks!..............
:cd:

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote