The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Kath you beat the hell out of us west siders, we had 18" on the ground onr morning but all we have now at my place 7 inchs, but the roads are bare and wet and it is warming up to the 40's. When I was a kid in the 50's we lived in a Logging camp on the south slopes of the olympic mountians close to the coast of washington state. We had a snow fall in either 53 or 54 of six feet on the ground we made forts and had many snowball wars. the snow had a blue color if you tunneled in to it to make snow caves. and to tell you how much times have changed over the years. We never missed a day of school in our 2 room school house. Simpson timber sent out a D-9 bull dozer and cleared the streets to school. also the men in camp were put to work shoveling snow off roofs. so they had a little extra money to help pay the bills at the company store.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Kath

I hear you....but truthfully, I put up with the long shot possibility of a hurricane here, (not had one hit since 59') then the reality of 77 friggin inches of snow and temps in single digits. I feel for poor Tom and his back. I would say a snow blower there is as important as beach gear here. Buy the poor guy a machine!

Stay warm and good luck....Gotta go, the beach is calling since my golf course is closed today for a torneyment.

Packman

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I'm sitting here at work having lunch watching the sleet and freezing rain pound against the windows and the weather report for Saturday is more snow! Virginia's looking better and better.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Well our snow is melting and heavy rains have returned. we had 14 inchs of rain since yesterday with 10 to 20 inchs more expected today and tonight on the satsop river. right now the river is over its bank and rising. Just another winter in paridise. I don't think I'm going to do my daily walk today.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default We had:

18" of snow. Our record in Ellensburg was in the winter of 96 - 97 we had about 46" on the ground. The warm winds and rains came through and now we have about 9" of snow. Caused minor flooding.
I wonder what Newport has in Snow. They usually get quite a bit more snow than Spokane. Time to shovel roofs in Spokane and Newport.

Keith
Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 PM

What a difference a day can make. In the past 24 hours Spokane has had heavy rains, temperatures in the 40's, and high winds. We have lost quite a bit of snow but now have flooding going on. Also a lot of roofs have caved in, especially the metal ones. Why would you have a metal roof in snow country? Schools have been out since before Christmas. We haven't had mail delivery for a week. What happened to "through rain, and sleet, and snow, and hail"? Went to purchase a snow blower for Tom (Packo, I didn't want you to think I was abusing him) but none to be found anywhere. And this is only the beginning of January. I hope we are not in for a bad winter, last year we had snow up to June. Yikes!!!!!

Raggedy Ann
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default When Snow Melts Too Quickly

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...052250/15.html

Centralia and Chehalis the cities that are half way between Seattle and Portland, OR.

Keith