The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2004, 07:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Chris and Joan, Doc and Shirley, Packo and Deb

Even with hurricane threatening the Low Country, (Packonews update, Hurricane Jeane will probably go west of us...Yeah!), Chris, Joan, Doc, and Shirl, made it out of nosebleed country to the land of Shrimp and Grits!

They arrived at the Clairion Ft Apache at 4:30 p.m. after a downhill ride from Tennessee. Unfortunately Doc and Shirley could not get into their room due to a faulty key and it took them about an hour to convince the management that they were not total idiots and that the key, not Doc, was actually defective. (Well, more defective than Doc.) Figuring, (well assuming), that they would be meeting us around 5-5:30, Deb and I hit the bar at the "Shem Creek Bar and Grill" to tune up for their arrival, or Jeane's, which ever came first. About 10 till 6 I got a bit worried and called to find out they were still about "20" minutes away from arrival. I gave implicit directions to the tavern, (for those that know Doc, you'll know I gave the directions to Shirl), went back into the bar, and awaited their arrival. KNOWING that they would be right there we asked to be seated since they had been holding our table since 5:00. About 6:45 I get a call from lead navigator, Doc, asking if we were anywhere near the Isle of Palms. I told him that yes, about 20-30 minutes....by plane. OOOPs, Doc says, "I think we missed a turn". Well, they had, and I did my best to direct them back. At 7:05 my phone rings again and Doc, full of pride, says...."We are at the Aircraft Carrier, The Yorktown!" Great, I said, but what the hell are you doing there????? I then stayed on the phone with them until I actually saw them pull into the parking lot. This was my mistake from the begining......I should have left bread crumbs from the hotel.

By this time Deb and I we're feelin' quite healthy and had a great time with the Donner Party the rest of the evening. Chris tried the Dirty Shrimp and Grits, a Low Country must, and all had She Crab Soup. Chris and Joan also had Mint Julips and we have not seen them since.

Deb and I had to leave the party early for we had a drive back to Beaufort and some possible hurricane prep to do today, so we left them in good hands.

It's always a pleasure to see Doc and Shirley, and what a bonus to finally get to see Chris and Joan. Marvelous, wonderful people and we had a blast. Will call them later to see how they're doin'.

This has been a Packonews Update. (All rights Reserved, 2004, PN Productions, Ltd.)

TO GIMPY, STEVE, TINA....we all had a drink for ya'll last night, hang in there and anything you need. Prayers out!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Doc.2/47

Ah TOl ya Doc. Fred managed ta get hisself lost in Normandy(smaller than the Yorktown)!Some folks just can't take a hint.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Did He Bring?

Did Chris bring you any Washington Wine.?

Keith
Old 09-27-2004, 05:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No Keith, unfortunately.

They did bring a watermellon from the Nolachucky in Tennessee, but convieniently left in in Docs car at the hotel. They claim it was sweeter than a SC mellon, but the old "left it at the hotel" trick tells me different.

When I talked at them yesterday they were fixin' to visit Ft Sumpter. They were waiting on the boat to take them out. They got a late start after Saturday Nights festivities. Last I heard they were off to "82 Queen" for some of the best She Crab Soup in the world. We were preparing for the tropical storm comin' our way and could not get back up to Charleston. Sounds like they are having a great time.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-29-2004, 01:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Well Ya'll its just me. Right now its wendsday at about 4:30 pm and I'm at a buddys home in northwest south carolina in a little town called Beldon about 30 or 40 miles from georgia . I'm using JP's computer because I'm haveing with drawls. anyway found my good Buddy from my Navy years at the reunion and followed him home to have dinner and visit and try to catchup 35 years in a few hours. Sid and Lt sorry but we won't hit town till the wee hours and probly take the first motel still open and pray they wake us up on time to make the plane. Next time I promiss But I just couldn't pass JP up he was one of my buddys from along time ago in a far away place. the rest of the story I'll tell when I get home except to say paco would not pop smoke for Doc and me to follow in , and his speach was quite slured nowonder doc had a hard time following directions. but the food was good even though it weren'nt no red lobster if'n you know what i meen see ya'all chris
Old 09-29-2004, 10:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Welllll......

Here's the real story. Chris and his lovely wife Joan stayed in the Cherokee Mountain B & B. One of the attractions there is there are llamas you can pet. Now the owner told Chris what to say to call them. They are not your usual run of the mill llamas. First of all all llamas spit if they get mad at you. Not only that but these are Southern llamas so they not only spit, they chew. Red Man if they can get it, Beech Nut if they can't. Add to that they were pregnant. Now the owner told Chris to call them by saying, "Llama, llama, you all come here." What did Chris do? He ran down there saying, "Llama llama! Llama llama!" Here they came sauntering over as if to say, "Whut dew yew wahnt, Yankee?" Recognizing an ex-sailor, they fired a few shots across his bow before retreating to the shade to rest their aching backs. It could have been a lot worse. By the way, they offer a 20% discount to Psycovets. The owners, not the llamas.

Then came Charleston. As you know, Destroyer men are a particularly hardy bunch of sailors. A hurricane was coming and were they worried? "Winds of 100 mph? Hell, I stood watch in a 140 mph wind." We decide to ride the ferry out to Ft. Sumter. Now, it's a little windy. It was the first time my hair has ever been straight, straight out to the left. Turn around and it was straight out to the right. About half my hair blew away but poor old Chris? Just say he needs a can of head polish. As we were getting on the little boat Chris said it was a shame to waste such a good day. If he was at home he would be mowing his yard. In other words, what South Carolina calls a hurricane, West Washington calls a good day to work in the yard. Those West Washingtonians are divided roughly into two two groups: those that believe there is no real evidence that the sun exists and those who believe though they have never seen the sun there is enough indirect evidence to rely on faith that there is indeed actually a sun. The East Washingtonians are also divided into two groups but it is over clouds instead of the sun.

Then there was the dinner with Packo and Deb. He was so excited about seeing us that he went to the restaurant at 5:00 knowing we said 7:00. I swear these hero worshipers, they get so tiring. So he and poor ole Deb had to sit there and wait for over two hours. The time was not wasted. They enjoyed many a grape juice and tomato juice. Gotta keep the immune system up. He is so flattered that we would visit him he gets excited and tries to use South Catrolina directions. You know, why go in a straight line when you can go in such pretty circles? He says he sent up a flare. Instead it was this man crossing the road with a 30 foot tree on his shoulder. Packo said he was supposed to light it. Anything to save a buck. Finally we got there. Poor old Packo has seen a few too many hurricanes. Talk about hair loss. All he had was two eyelashes on his right upper eyelid and one on his lower left. Not only that he had a difinite starboard list. I told the poor fellow maybe he should stand in the wind in another direction so he wouldn't walk around in circles. Of course as we all know women's hair hold on a lot harder than men's. Seen any bald women lately? There was Deb, every hair in place. It was sitting pretty as if to say, "Hi, honey! Would you like some iced tea?" Poor old Packo. I told him that palmetto leaf didn't make a very realistic wig.

We all had a real good time.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Golly Doc I forgot about that fellow trying to steal a tree in a Hurricain. didn't make a lick of since to me either espeacially with christmas 3 months out that darn thing will be all dried up by then. Oh by the way Doc our boat was the last one they let out to Fort Sumter on monday it was too rough for them land lubber's what call themselfs tour guides. so we done lucked out again and the weather is so warm when it rains and blows down there I felt like i was in one of thossauna baths with a fan on. Doc I found your sickimore shoals hat in the car come and pick it up any time. And How's did you do wearing your 1st cav hat through the south. You didnt stop for gas till you got home did you.? Thanks again Doc and Shirley see ya on the cruise to Alaska. Sandy can you get us any deals on cruises next june or july?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

PACO and deb too :

If we have anymore hurricanes come this way this isn't a threat this is a promise I am comming for a visit ... So be ready if anymore come this way.. Thanks for having the drinks for me I sure did need them..
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 10-01-2004, 12:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Back on my Meds

It was a little rainy and windy coming back. I guess the weather was so bad the Rebs pulled in their pickets. Some things never change, the cavalry is the last to get pulled out of the weather.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Ain't that the truth Fred ! Spent 2 1/2 straight months on the border with Laos slugging it out with the NVA , on the way back to Dong Ha they informed me we would be pulling rear guard for another week. Glad you guys had a good visit.