VOM Contributor 
Default Jessica Lynch Snubs Iraqi Who Helped Save Her

http://www.rense.com/general43/shor.htm

Jessica Lynch Snubs Iraqi
Who Helped Save Her
By Marcus Warren
The Telegraph - UK
10-29-3

NEW YORK -- A journey to the home town of Jessica Lynch by the Iraqi lawyer who helped to free the young American soldier ended in embarrassment for all concerned when she snubbed him.

Miss Lynch, portrayed as a heroine of our times for her courage while a prisoner of war, was too busy to receive the visitor, her family's lawyer said. Her saviour, Mohammed al-Rehaief, was outwardly understanding of her failure to appear during his trip. "I know she had a very difficult time in Iraq and she takes rest," he said.

However, Mr al-Rehaief, who has been granted asylum in the United States for fear of revenge attacks in Iraq, was reported to be disappointed by her failure to meet him on his visit to Palestine, West Virginia.

The Lynchs' lawyer, Stephen Goodwin, denied that rivalry between the 20-year-old former soldier and her Iraqi benefactor over competing media projects was to blame for her absence. "Absolutely not," he said.

Miss Lynch's book, I Am a Soldier, Too, the fruit of a ?600,000 publishing deal, will be released next month and the countdown to her first television interview in two weeks' time has already begun.

But she has been beaten into print by Mr al-Rehaief, whose own work, Because Each Life is Precious, was published earlier this month. In it he describes how he braved bullets to reach the advancing American military and tip them off about the young female private lying wounded in a hospital in the city of Nasiriyah.

She was rescued by Special Forces a week after being injured and captured in an ambush. Her ordeal briefly overshadowed the army's march on Baghdad as the story of the war.

Mr al-Rehaief was given a hero's welcome during his trip to Palestine and named an honorary West Virginian.

But the misunderstandings were not confined to Miss Lynch's refusal to attend any of the ceremonies. Local people laid on an impressive spread at a reception to greet the al-Rehaiefs, only to discover that the family was fasting for Ramadan.

Even if the guests had been hungry they would have been unlikely, as Muslims, to tuck into the ham sandwiches on offer.

? Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...10/29/wlynch29
.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/10/29/ixnewstop.html
Old 11-04-2003, 07:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Jessica

Jessica for all her natural beauty is a small town kid from an unsophisticated family. I'm sure the snub was not meant as a snub. She and her family come from a little isolated village and these somewhat backward people do not understand the implications of the world in which they live, including the ham sandwiches. The media should leave their little digs alone and drop the issue.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I think people need to give her a break. She is a young girl going through alot. I read that they were going to try and meet privatly. Do you blame her really for not wanting to be in the public eye so much?

Ahhh, the article is from England....I get it now.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:43 AM

I don't think she has anyone to thank other than the troops who took her out. This so called friend had other motives - I don't trust anyone - If she don't want to see them - too bad.

They did her a big hurt and (others) she hasn't forgotten nor will she for some time. Its her prerogative and she doesn't have to glad hand this guy.

His world was crashing around him he was looking for a way out and he used her to his advantage to come over here and look good. I ain't buy'en it at all.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-04-2003, 12:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Geeze!

She not only snubbed him, they made him an honorary West Virginian.....Now he can legally marry his sister.

(just kidding)

Hard to tell what the truth here is.....funny our media didn't pick up on it. Maybe it's one of those brit tabloids that don't necessarily tell the truth.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-04-2003, 12:59 PM

Paco,

I"ve been to WV a few times - Institute, WV some chemical plant in the hills. The boys all chew and in the locker room you'd better walk very carefully or you will slide from one end to the other. ha ha

One day a guy spit on my shoe (by accident) and it took the dam polish right off - that stuff had to be 180 proof spit. ha ha

You got some mightly good look'en women in that state. Red heads - I get weak in the knees around red heads.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-04-2003, 01:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It could be that Jessica just doesn?t want to look at mid east men for a while. No doubt she was traumatized by her horrific experience and would just as soon let the reminders go by the board for now.

Scamp
Old 11-05-2003, 10:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Is it true that the state song of West Virginia is "Dueling Banjos"?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I believe the WV state song is "Almost Heaven"