The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Ao

If we walked into an area that we knew that they knew we were there, I would order an extra case of hand gernades and an extra case of 79 rounds. Our platton would have about 6-8 possitions with a fall back. After dark who ever was on guard in that possition would through a hand gernade just out there somewhere and fall back to his fall back possition, This would go on all night. I could sleep right through a gernade going off but let someone shot there gun and all got real quiet and tence. I got so good with a 79 that I could put 5 rounds in the air before the first one went off. Thats a lot of practice.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Ron,

You weren't really sleeping - no one could under those circumstances. But I too know if things got quite I mean that drop dead real quite stuff - I would start to sweat and I would get those tread feelings or like bugs were walking up and down my back. You body becomes tuned or honed - your selfwareness is focused - survival my man its survival.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

In a area like that the tracks were in a circle with one strand of wire about 20 yards away with RPG screens up a couple feet in front of the track sometime during the middle of the night I would get everybody up and on the count of 3 everyone would fire one magazine or one box of linked ammo and the sheridan would pop off a round of cannister. My platoon had 12 , 60'S , 10 50'S and 3 , 152mm main gun rounds , and a 4.2 motor track in addition to individual weapons . It was a awesome display of firepower. We called it a Mad Minute
Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Boats, LT

Boats, the best nights sleep I got in VN was sleeping just behing a twin 40 mm Duster just outside Lang Vei. I don't know why, I mean we were outside Lang Vei wire and we were just a platoon size. Might have been the Dusters radar.

LT
I thought Mad min were for Fire bases, guess not. Souds like you traveled with some firepower, thats the only way to travel.
Ron
Old 08-19-2005, 10:18 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Fire power

We had 3 CO?s while I was in the field. One of them, the second one, refused to allow us to have a mad minute. He told us he didn?t want Charlie to know where we were(?). Like 20 APC?s could crouch down and be all stealthy.

Stay healthy.
Andy
Old 08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

What was the purpose of a Mad Minute?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

It was a kind of a recon by fire for us. The NVA liked to sneak right into the NDP and throw shatchel charges in holes and tracks. We stared the mad minute firing just in front of the wire and worked it outwards. Idea was if they were sneaking up on you this would get them moving. We actually killed NVA this way
Old 08-19-2005, 12:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane

Everything is so overkill these days but for a purpose...OpOrds, FRAGO's and the like...you need intel to cut an order to go to the latrine it felt like. But, it is a benefit when it's correct.

We relied on our intel, force protection and QRF. They were able to get the latest and greatest info around Scania to Tallil. I had more faith in intel this go around than during ODS.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

SORRY , double posted