The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2004, 09:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Cruise Books

Every now and then I look around for Cruise Books. I have a few extra copies of books from the Independence.
Any one looking for something, and want me to give it a try?
Post what your looking for here, and I'll take a look around.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2004, 03:26 AM

Sparrow,

I have asked this before on here and " no answer ".

I have been trying to find out where I can get a copy of my cruise book for a long time now, as my X has thrown the old one out.

USS Pine Island ( AV-12 ) the cruise was 1965/1966.

PM me and let me know if you have any info on it.

Thanks..

reeb.....
Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by reeb Sparrow,
I have asked this before on here and " no answer ".
I have been trying to find out where I can get a copy of my cruise book for a long time now, as my X has thrown the old one out.
USS Pine Island ( AV-12 ) the cruise was 1965/1966.
PM me and let me know if you have any info on it.
Thanks..reeb.....
I took a quick look around, useing BookFinder.com and came up empty handed. I'll put the word out to a few book dealers I'm in contact with.
This would be a fairly rare book. But I have located some fairly rare books that were printed in small numbers.

You can have the book copied, this is by no means the cheapest way of obtaining a copy, here's some more info:

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/...uise_main.html

These are the Cruise Books they have on hand:
Pine Island AV-12 1951, 1954, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1966

Borrowing Conditions and Reproduction Services
Cruise books, depending on age and condition, may be borrowed through interlibrary loan; local libraries can facilitate your request. World War II cruise books do not circulate. Most cruise books, after a Library review process, may be duplicated by a service specializing in reproduction services. One organization that provides this service is the Naval Historical Foundation. Information on using their services is available at: http://www.navyhistory.org/histsvc/service2.htm. However some books are too fragile to be copied.

In the mean time I'll keep looking for ya, Shipmate!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 01-29-2004, 11:26 AM

Use the ship's name in the title section, this will search just about all listings on most of the book search sights.

http://www.bookfinder.com/

Here's a shipmate that deals in Cruise Books and other military items. Great Guy and great service. He's helped me a lot!

http://blmilitarycollectibles.com/

Ebay sometime can help. Use the subject Cruise Book

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...cordstoskip=50

You can also search under the Ships name, Navy Books, Year Books and just Navy.