The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 4435th SAM sq aka "Little SAM" - Carl Erickson

My dad was a member of this squadron from 1956 - 62 and 63 - 69. With Vietnam in the middle. Flying from Hamilton AFB & Chaunte AFB.

Their mission was primarily flying VIP's for various missions from Army Brass, USO groups, Congressman and even VP Nixon.

As I have previously mentioned I always found his last mission significant in that he flew a group of Army Brass to then Cape Kennedy to watch Apollo 11 take off. His last flight in the AF our first to the moon.

A brief story here, while flying to LAX (all the pilots in this group had commercial license needed to land at civilian airports). President Kennedy had just landed on "Big SAM" aka AF 1, my dad giving his SAM call sign was given the ok (procedure with President nobody in or out within one hour).

As my dad taxed up he found himself completely surrounded by Secret Service, My dad said he'd "never seen so many Thompson's"

The tower at LAX didn't know "Little SAM from "Big SAM" !

Attached 4435th squadron patch with "Outstanding AF Unit" ribbon.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carl SAM SQ016.jpg (76.9 KB, 1 views)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links