The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2005, 08:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Iraqi Vote

I?m not sure the US has ever turned out at the 70% level. It looks to be an optimistic and positive event with lots of Sunni Moslem enthusiasm and participation. But the flip side of the coin; our MSN, is calling it a negative event and are spinning up the yarns to discredit the process, curious. I?m anxious hear the argument and spin once its jinned up and clunking along.

Eleven million Iraqis braved the risk, got out and voted and I find a lot of credibility in that. This election could be a national watershed event of unity, maybe, hope so anyway.

However, one can bet the various Monarchy?s, Dictatorships and Theocracies in the region did a collective gulp n? gasp at such a turnout, the eleven million purple fingers, and they will, no doubt, have their trouble makers out stirring the pot, post haste. Syria, for one, has to be mighty pissed-off at this turn of events and there is no happiness in Damascus today, none.

Scamp
Old 12-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Robert J Ryan

If democray works in Iraq other Mideastern Countriues just might have to contend with problems in their own nations. Once some of the other people see that their religon or belifes are not threatend by democracy it might just upset the ole apple cart so to speak
Old 12-18-2005, 10:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

"Importing even the smallest modicum of liberty into otherwise unfree lands is the most certain harbinger of greater liberties to come." That now famous quotation should be a warning, as Seascamp and RJR has so wondrously spoken above. Harken back to the days of the Evil Empire, right before Polish shipbuilders and Lech Walseka started things off. The slightest crack in the Iron Curtain was enough of a breach to allow the ultimate torrent of freedom to flow. I strongly suspect that people everywhere, irrespective of whatever form of government has oppressed them, yearn for freedom and liberties, and as so eloquently said in a State of the Union speech several years ago, liberty is not God's gift to America, but God's gift to all mankind. The sheer miracle of bringing democracy to Iraq drives another nail into the coffin of the naysayers, the doomsday prognosticators, and the merchants of defeatism. May they rest in peace.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

If nothing else, it is certainly a strong statement of will and willingness. Most often, where there is a will, a way will be found. They ought to be feeling good about themselves, that kind of thing is highly contagious and just could be a much needed foundation stone to build upon. What puzzles me is why some of our politicos are so hell bent for Iraq to falter on their journey to new horizons. The turnout suggests a strong will not to fail and that shouldn?t cause boo-boo lips inside the beltway, one would think.
It seems to me that all the yackity -yack about pulling out of Iraq just may have had a galvanizing effect within Iraq, and that certainly would be an unintended consequence. The name of the game was to inhance instability, not provoke a demonstration of stability. Oh well, time to cast a different set of plans and spins I reckon.

Scamp
Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Scamp

Not really sure that the average Achmed Joe ever heard about the cut and run gang, and his basic motivation is that primal itch to scratch that democracy thing. Back here, the cut and run mindset will always embrace the negativity of any event, regardless of its wonder, wonderfulness, or sheer weight of miracle. I can just hear them whining at that famous stable....

" ... see what happens when you don't have a plan. Why didn't he call ahead for reservations?"

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote