The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Retired

Retired now, last jobs in Russia and Baku, popped my turkey popper and sometimes enough is enough. I’ve been standing down for a while trying to catch my breath and figure the rest now. As the poet Robert Frost once said, “And miles to go before I sleep”, but I have no further interest in past journeys, only the lessons learned along the way. Kiddos are remarkably successful, same with siblings and their kiddos. I lost one along the way and that still hurts after a decade. And maybe in my current mellowed out state, the feisty, 7th fleet Black Gab Sailor has moved on, I don’t know.

Scamp
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Scamp,

Good to see you posting!

"Mellowed out" and "lessons learned" can be not a bad thing.

From MY perspective...

Would I have done things differently? Some things.

Do I regret the journey? No.

Your friend, the older and wiser,

Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Scamp , sorry I missed this. Congrats ! How about showing up on Psyco Mtn. next April ? Would like to shake your hand. Did I tell you I was an Opa ?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Default I could go now but can't

Scamp - good to see your post. Hope all is well with you and that your getting some needed rest. Retirement? I could go now but too many things are keeping me from doing that. Have to many that need assistance at this time and the wife is in poor condition and may need major back surgury very soon. Outlook isn't too good she will loose her legs before to long and the poor thing is in constant pain. Work helps me keep from worrying about her 24/7 yet I know how bad things really are. Best work while I can and have the insurance as being only 62 she can't get medicare and really I'd take a big cut on my SS if I pull the trick now. I may get another five years if my health holds out. Big problem is my youngest daughter and her two kids - no place to go and things are really tough. She dug a ditch and the kids are in need of some secure place to live while going to school. Been at this for 8 years now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Tough sleding for sure but I'm committed and the wife also regrets the circumstances but they have to have our help or God only knows what will happen.

Scamp glad your back on board. Look forward to seeing you post.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks Steve, some thoughts……

Would I have done things differently? Some things.

Sure, my experience is that the more we pay attention to the swirl around us, the fewer things we will think about doing differently, almost. But the spoiler is always the something new under the sun and sometimes it is not unlike an educated crapshoot.

Do I regret the journey? No.

Same here, I can’t complain about a boring and uneventful journey. Ay sus, sometimes too eventful. Just today, I was thinking about the gas field blow out in Sumatra and how in the world I ever got out of there without being roasted. I still have no clue, and I suppose that means I’m not going to get one either.

Hey Lt. John,

Thanks for the thought, and maybe I need to go to the mountain for my right of passage, thanks for the invite. Me too, I’m an Opa. We just had the 3rd Birthday shindig, Sunday past. Ok, Dora and Diego are the thing now, so I had to get a full length dissertation on all the adventures, he he, that’s a smile. Plus two (2) Dora and Diego DVD showings with attendant narration of particulars. He he, my mellow out therapy happening. Scary, that kiddo has my old retread lap top, works the mouse pad like an old pro and has mastered simple computer association games.

Hi Boats,

Hang in there Boatswain, soon enough some positives will be on your plate, I have a good feeling about that. Thanks for the welcome back and look forward hanging out with you n’ all here again.

Scamp
Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey Scamp?

We going fly fishing together now?

Keith
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hello Keith,

I’ll look forward to that. I’ve never done big river fly fishing and wouldn’t know exactly how to begin. Anything has easier than Nevada creeks and dodging snakes, critters n’ ornery Paiutes.

Scamp
Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default As I said,

Scamp...welcome to the ranks of the retired. Take John's advice and try a trip to the mountain. Mohammed did and look what it did for him.

Boats, hang in there old friend. Wish I had the perverbial magic wand to make your problems disappear. I really do. Glad to see both you and Scamp back full time. Wishing the best for you, your bride and your family. Sometimes it never seems to end.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)