The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > Joint Forces Command

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2022, 06:20 AM

Thumbs up U.S. to Spend $66 Million on New Facilities at Philippines Military Bases

U.S. to Spend $66 Million on New Facilities at Philippines Military Bases
By: Reuters & USNews 11-15-22
Re: https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news...military-bases

Photo link: https://www.usnews.com/object/image/...=responsive970
FILE PHOTO: South Korean navies participate in amphibious landing drills during a joint military exercise with Philippine and U.S. navies at a naval station in Zambales province, Philippines, October 7, 2022. REUTERS/Eloisa Lopez/File PhotoREUTERS

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines on Tuesday said defence ally the United States had agreed to spend $66.5 million to start building training and warehouse facilities at three of its military bases, under a 2014 joint security deal.

Construction of the projects in three of five Philippine sites outlined under the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) will start next year, the Department of Defense said in a statement.

"The department is committed to accelerate the implementation of the EDCA by concluding infrastructure enhancement and repair projects, developing new infrastructure projects at existing EDCA locations," it said.

The Philippines has long been a staunch U.S. ally and the EDCA is widely seen as important for both sides, worried by China's increasingly assertive pursuit of its territorial claims in the South China Sea.

The two countries have a 70-year-old Mutual Defense Treaty and take part in dozens of joint training exercises each year, ranging from live fire and amphibious assaults to humanitarian missions and counter-terrorism drills.

EDCA allows the United States to maintain a military presence in its former colony through rotation of ships and aircraft for humanitarian and maritime security operations.

On Monday, Philippine military chief Bartolome Bacarro said the United States had proposed including five more military bases in the EDCA, but that would be subject to approval by the defence and foreign ministries.

(Reporting by Karen Lema; Editing by Martin Petty)

Copyright 2022 Thomson Reuters.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: This is great news - The US and PI have had some issues recently and
in the past. But as for jungle fighters - you can't beat these little guys and they know
that jungle area better than anyone. WWII proved that! They may be small in stature
but they are tougher than nails. I was in PI for a short period of time - drinking Magoo
beers (gave you the hershey trotts). These little guys are fun and know their jungle
and everything in it. I wonder if the head-hunters are still alive in the jungle - I know
I've seen them come to the ports selling their homemade knives and other trinkets.
They carry long spears and knives and take on the jungle and all its inhabitants.
-
You can't beat these guys for jungle warfare. WWII they were deadly against
the Japanese forces - they feared them the most. They helped our guys get through
the jungles to their sites of interest. Yep I have many a beer with the guys
fun but deadly if provoked! Also they got the biggest snakes and bugs I've ever
seen. Hot and Humid weather their and they thrive in the jungles and many are
deadly!
-
Just a warning! These large & deadly snakes can kill a man swallow a child as well;
I've seen them some 12 to 14' long 8-10 diameter bodies - yea - I'm not pully your
chain! Once you see these critters you will gasp - they can swallow a man if they
are caught. Yes siree Bob - large bugs & small - medium & large snakes - not my
best picks. Also never swim in inland water ponds with rings on they act as lures
for the barracuda's and other fish as well. Note: Dog tags also act as lures!
(Just a warning! Been there - seen finger's taken off!)
-

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links