The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2004, 07:15 AM

Hi well i am for my sins a manchester city season ticket holder, which means i endure purgatory every saturday!!

Nottingham is a lovely place, and has more females per head than anuwhere else, which at my age is no use at all, but keeps my brain going

Nolans i have them all, he started out when he was 16 if i remember, he through i think his dad had access to VAST amounts of material on Vietnam, a writer whose style im afraid i basically nicked

Robin Hood has to be one of the most written about, strange seeing no one can say if he did or did not exist.

Thanks for the replies, nice to talk to you
simon
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default scarletto

Welcome aboard. It's great to have a "Brit" on board to converse with. I (and my wife Jacqueline) absolutely love everything "British"....her familiy heritage goes back to Scotland and mine to Ireland. We just got back from a two week trip to England, Wales and Scotland last May. Best damn vacation we EVER had!

If your're looking for good books about areas of Vietnam that haven't received much literary notice try and find Col. David Hackworths' latest book......"Steel My Soldiers Hearts" ..it's about an infantry battalion (the 4th of the 39th Brigade..........9th Infantry Divison) that he took over and made one of the finest fighting units in the war. I was in the 9th Divsion myself, 2nd of the 60th Infantry Brigade, so some of the areas he talks about in his book are very relevant to the places I saw while there. But, have rarely been written about very much.........such as Can Tho, Soc Trang, Long Xuyen, Rach Gia, Cam Son Secret Zone, Dong Tam, An Nhut Tan (where I was wounded) and many other locations of interest. It really is an excellent book.

I've attached a photo of me and Jackie at Edinburgh Castle from last May.............we are really looking forward to coming back again!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:57 AM

Gimpy, thanks for the welcome, i will look up that book. kind of you to mention it. Regarding Scotland, im half Scottish, my mums a true highlander from Inverness, a really lovely place indeed, visit it if you can and get a boat ride along the caledonian canal to Loch Ness. Stunning place and then visit Culloden which has a strange feel to it, especially early as the mist rises over the thistles.

I must try and find the book name about the Highland Clearances after Culloden, my mum read it and was in tears for a week

My Grandfather was Pipe-Major in the Argylls and was lone piper at Edinburgh Castle, got captured in France in 1940 and worked down pit in Poland till 45, when i joined the Army my last 4 were the same as his, a bit spooky!

My step-dad was London-Scottish Anti Aircraft during the Blitz, and thought sod this! so he took a posting to India before the nips joined the war, ended up fighting in Burma, said when i joined up, never,never volunteer for anything!!!

We must have been the only house for years never to have anything made in Japan, said he could never buy off them animals as he said. Found out why after he died an i found his diary.

Anyways better not waste the bandwith , take care all
Old 03-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default scarletto

You are most welcome my friend. I hope you are able to locate that book over there. If not, it is available at Col. Hackworths web site. You can do a google search or go to Dogpile.com (my favorite search engine) and find his site and sites that may offer his book for mail order purchase.

We did not get to make it up to the Loch Ness/ Inverness area while there last May but will certainly make it high on our list to visit next trip. We did get to drive through part of the southern Highlands and found it breathtaking to say the least! Late May is a wonderful time to visit with everything turning green and blooming everywhere. Thank you for your advice.

We spent three full days and nights in Edinburgh and just fell in love with the people and the culture! We spent a lot of time (and money BTW) looking for items of interest for her ancestral heritage. She is a Donaldson, of the MacDonald clan and we had great fun searching out historical evidence of their contribution to Scotish history.

Here is another photo that you may find familiar! Royal Highlander Guards of The "Black Watch" outside Edinburgh Castle. Enjoy!

Some of them had just returned from Iraq when we were there. Outstanding fighting unit with a wonderful history of bravery & honor on the battlefield. I felt honored to meet them.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:54 AM

Cant mention the Black Watch to my mother!!! They were recruited from lowland Scots, mainly criminal classes by the English to fight the Highlanders and then Burn down the villages during the Clearences, but i couldnt tell my Mother either that most of the Highlanders fighting the English at Culloden had been press ganged into it, as none of them wanted to fight anyone!!

However a proud Regiment, not as good as my own but close
Old 03-04-2004, 11:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Simon :

I have Col. Hackworth's book and you are welcome to borrow it. There is not a cheap way to mail books over the pond. If you will pay shipping one of the ways, I will pay the other. My last name is Nuckolls and it appears we originate from the MacNichols clan, possibly near a town called Clackmannan. There are so many variations of our name, no one has found the link from 1640 Virginia back to Scotlland. My mother's side are the Willoughbys and from what I gather one was William the Conqueror's Lts.
When I retire in April I would like to visit the UK for about 3 weeks, but my wife wants to go to Italy...we will probably just go to destin, FL. LOL

Larry
Old 03-04-2004, 11:37 AM

Larry
Very Kind of your offer, but i will send a copy of my book to you to have, whilst i borrow yours, but only if i cannot find it on the net, i think e-bay has a copy at sale. Hackworths not mine.

MacNichols Clan GENEROSITATE NON FEROCITATE" (Generous not Ferocious)

whilst im partly of the Clan MacClennan 'While I breathe, I hope'
which i must admit is a good sounding motto! only worn the Tartan once, chicken and legs spring to mind!!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome aboard, Scarletto. Clan Forbes and Clan Donald here. Also Norman/Welsh Many here to learn from. Just ask away.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Triple Deuce

I looked up the KIA's for the 2/22 and only one on 12 Feb 67, maybe he said 10 Feb as there are 5 or six that day.

http://www.vietnamtripledeuce.org/

Anybody out there with 1/5th Bobcats?
Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Doc.2/47

Welcome home and welcome to the site,Doc628.Thank you for your service.Always good to see another medic(some real sick puppies round here,keep that aid bag handy).When were you incountry?