Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2004, 10:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Krauthammer : Strike before Iran's nukes get hot

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/idea...p-184881c.html

Krauthammer : Strike before Iran's nukes get hot

Did we invade the wrong country? One of the lessons now being drawn from the 9/11 report is that Iran was the real threat. The Iraq War critics have a new line of attack: We should have done Iran instead.
Well, of course Iran is a threat. But how exactly would the critics have "done" Iran? Iran is a serious country with a serious army. Can you imagine the Iraq War critics actually supporting war with Iran?

If not war, what then? The Bush administration, having decided that invading one axis-of-evil country was about as much as the country can bear, has gone multilateral on Iran. Washington delegated the issue to a committee of three - the foreign ministers of Britain, France and Germany - that has been meeting with the Iranians to get them to shut down their nuclear program.

The result? They have been led by the nose. Time is of the essence, and the runaround that the Tehran Three have gotten from the mullahs has meant that we have lost at least nine months in doing anything to stop the Iranian nuclear program.

Iran instead of Iraq? The Iraq critics would have done nothing about either country. There would today be two major Islamic countries sitting on an ocean of oil, supporting terrorism and seeking weapons of mass destruction - instead of one.

Two years ago, there were five countries supporting terror and pursuing WMDs - two junior-leaguers, Libya and Syria, and the axis-of-evil varsity: Iraq, Iran and North Korea. The Bush administration has just eliminated two: Iraq, by direct military means, and Libya, by example and intimidation.

Syria is weak and deterred by Israel. North Korea, having gone nuclear, is untouchable. That leaves Iran. There are only two things that will stop the Iranian nuclear program: revolution from below or an attack on its nuclear facilities.

The country should be ripe for revolution. But the mullahs are very good at police-state tactics. The long-awaited revolution is not happening. Which makes the question of preemptive attack all the more urgent. Iran will go nuclear during the next presidential term. If nothing is done, a fanatical terrorist regime openly dedicated to the destruction of the "Great Satan" will have both nuclear weapons and the terrorists and missiles to deliver them. All that stands between us and that is either revolution or preemptive strike.

Both of which, by the way, are far more likely to succeed with 146,000 American troops and highly sophisticated aircraft standing by just a few miles away - in Iraq.

Originally published on July 23, 2004
Old 07-24-2004, 08:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Questions

If the conservatives think that Iranians are all that awful, then why does Haliburton do business with them??? Why did Haliburton do business with them when Cheney was CEO, like they did with Iraq?
If the mullahs can't be trusted with weapons, then why did Reagan (through Poindexter, North and GHWB) trade weapons for hostages held in Lebanon and sell them weapons and spare parts in exchange for sending money to the Contras??
Doesn't hardly seem like a good idea, same as selling Saddam the raw materials for WMDs
Yesterdays solutions are todays problems

I got news for you Larry: Krauthammer is an other of these draftdodging neocons (like Limbaugh, Savage, Hannity, et al) who likes to play Realtime Risk with someone else's lives. He has no idea of the price to be paid because he's never sacrificed anything for his country, just like GWB

James
Old 07-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I know all about this loser. I just posted this to show what the neo-con agenda really is. They are all blood-soaked cowards.

Larry
Old 07-24-2004, 08:24 PM

Don't know the man, but I think he has a point...being that our enemy in this generation is facist Islam regardless of what country they reside in. We will have to take them one country at a time if necessary, and it may be a haul, but as a nation, we dare not waiver or tire in the fight this time. Yea, maybe I like what he has to say because I'm an old conservative. But there are some of us who have sacrificed for our country, just like there are some liberals (present company included) who have done the same. God speed, gentlemen.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:14 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

An Iran Roundup
A number of stories concerning Iran have come out recently, and I want to have the chance to gather them in one post.

This article discusses the abrupt ending of the trial surrounding the murder of Zahra Kazemi:

Iran?s hardline judiciary abruptly ended the trial on Sunday of an intelligence agent accused of killing a Canadian journalist, prompting angry lawyers to complain key evidence had been ignored or covered up.
A verdict is expected in a week or so.

Foreign diplomats and journalists were barred from the third day of the trial of the agent, Mohammad Reza Aqdam, over the death last July of Zahra Kazemi, 54, a photographer of Iranian origin who was detained after taking pictures of a Tehran jail.

Iranian human rights lawyer Shirin Ebadi, a Nobel Peace laureate, said the judge had ignored testimony that might have incriminated a judiciary official.

The case has damaged Iran?s relations with Canada, which announced the withdrawal of its ambassador last week, and turned an international spotlight on Iran?s judiciary and prisons.

It has also exposed deep rifts between President Mohammad Khatami?s reformist government and the judiciary which is run by his hardline opponents.

?I?m so angry I cannot speak. They didn?t even pay attention to our evidence and announced the end of the trial,? Ebadi, who was representing Kazemi?s family, said outside the Tehran court.

?This is not a fair trial. The case hasn?t been reviewed. If they issue a verdict it will be unfair,? she added.

This story follows up:

A hard-line prosecutor has ordered Iranian newspapers to censor their coverage of a trial of a secret agent accused of murdering an Iranian-Canadian photojournalist, journalists said Monday.
Speaking to government spokesman Abdollah Ramezanzadeh after his weekly press conference, several reporters said Tehran prosecutor Saeed Mortazavi called their offices and told them to not report on parts of the trial, which ended abruptly Sunday.

One journalist said Mortazavi told him, ?It?s in your interest to consider the murder trial over and avoid publishing things that you should not.?

Hard-liners were angered after a legal team representing the mother of slain photojournalist Zahra Kazemi accused prison official Mohammad Bakhshi of inflicting the fatal blow to Kazemi, and accused the hard-line judiciary of illegally detaining her.

Most Iranian newspapers have not published the accusations against Bakhshi and the prosecution, apparently fearing retribution.

?I was afraid to publicly put this to you during the press conference because I was afraid of possible punishment from Mortazavi,? one of the journalists told Ramezanzadeh.

?Mortazavi called our newspaper Sunday to say we have to delete parts of the trial where lawyers implicated Bakhshi in the murder,? she said.

Ramezanzadeh said imposing such restrictions on newspapers was illegal.

?Restricting approved freedoms is against the constitution,? Ramezanzadeh told reporters.

The judiciary ordered two reformist publications to shut down Saturday, when the trial opened. Sources at the newspapers said officials appeared upset with an article one of them published last week about Kazemi?s death.

A former judge, Mortazavi is widely seen as the man behind the closure of more than 100 pro-democracy publications the past four years.

And finally, we have this story concerning the fate of academic dissident Hashem Aghajari:

Iran?s hardline judiciary sentenced dissident academic Hashem Aghajari to five years in prison on Tuesday for saying Muslims should not blindly follow their clerical leaders like ?monkeys,? his lawyer said.
The sentence marked a major climb down by the judiciary which originally condemned Aghajari to death for blasphemy after making the speech in 2002.

The death sentence, issued by a provincial court in western Iran, sparked some of the largest student protests for years and fueled international concern about restrictions on free speech in the Islamic state.

The blasphemy verdict was finally overturned by the Supreme Court in June after many senior clerics said it was too harsh. A re-trial was held in Tehran earlier this month.

?The Tehran court sentenced him to five years in prison for insulting Islamic values,? Aghajari?s lawyer Saleh Nikbakht told Reuters.

Posted by Pejman at July 23, 2004 04:26 PM http://www.command-post.org/nk/2_archives/013792.html

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You would be very surprised to find out who is doing business with Iran. I could name several who have given significant donations to the Democratic Party and have businesses set up in Iran and have been in there for a decade. The issue is getting a permit and not selling embargoed goods or services. We also do a significant business with the PRC and it?s a similar arrangement with regard to technology that we are allowed to sell. This is all regulated and I haven?t seen a change in policy through several different administrations. The only variable is what country gets on or off the embargo list and what goods or services is permissible under a special export permit. Any freight forwarder or international banking institution has a complete rundown on what is permissible and what is not and I believe that the State Department can issue permits for export to embargoed countries given specific compliances, rules and regs. The only ?no exceptions? embargo that I recall was put against the Soviet Union when they invaded Afghanistan. If Halliburton is just getting into Iran, I?d say they are late comers. Iran?s purchasing offices are in the UK and I hear from them from time-to-time but the technology I?m involved with is totally embargoed so it?s a no sale deal, period, as in don?t even think about it.

?Blood soaked Neo-Conservative?
Da Scamp