Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2004, 06:02 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Question More bang for your buck?

http://www.wftv.com/news/3786870/detail.html

Gun Shop Debuts Credit-Card-Sized Shotgun

MINNEAPOLIS -- In a new twist on the idea of concealed weapons, a local gun maker and gun shop are debuting a new type of firearm: one that could almost fit in your wallet.

It's a two-shot weapon made from a piece of metal the height and width of a standard credit card, and about a half-inch thick. Each barrel fires seven standard steel BBs. It will retail for $100.

"This I can see being the ultimate self-defense weapon," said Mark Koscielski, owner of Koscielski's Guns and Ammo, the only gun shop in Minneapolis.

Koscielski and Patrick Teel, who makes the guns in suburban Blaine at his company AFT Incorporated, gave The Associated Press a preview on Tuesday, a day before they planned to officially unveil the device.

They said the guns are meant to be used for close-range self-defense and wouldn't be effective as offensive weapons.

"They are very effective at five to 10 feet. They're absolutely useless at 20 feet," Teel said.

The credit card-sized shotgun is a muzzleloader, meaning it doesn't use shotgun shells. The user has to measure out some gunpowder, pour it in each barrel, drop seven BBs in each barrel, and tamp in a small wad of paper. A knob on one end serves as a safety, and two buttons set into a hole in the body are the electrical triggers. Each barrel fires with a loud pop.

Teel said the main value of the new gun is that it gives the owner a chance to get away from an attacker.

"This is no more deadly than a .22," Teel said. "But the difference is you have multiple wounds, which means you'll try to get away quicker, and it will cause more pain. ... There will be more blood, which the cops will be able to see."

The new guns don't count as firearms under federal regulations because they're muzzleloaders, Koscielski and Teel said. It's illegal to carry one without a permit to for a concealed handgun, they said, and they both pledged not to sell them to anyone without valid identification and either a carry permit or a purchase permit.

Thirty-seven states have laws that require officials to issue concealed carry permits to qualified applicants and nine others have laws that give officials some discretion over whether someone gets a permit. Only Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin lack a law allowing some form of concealed carrying of guns.

Koscielski was widely credited with coining the term "Murderapolis" when the city's homicide rate shot up in the 1990s. He's run unsuccessfully for mayor, fought zoning battles to stay in business and been investigated by federal agents

Koscielski conceded that gun opponents are likely to criticize the new devices. But he said they're legal, will set off metal detectors and are readily identifiable.

"We all have a right to defend ourselves," he said.

At least one gun salesman was skeptical of the weapon's self-defense value. Mike O'Brien, a gun salesman at Joe's Sporting Goods in St. Paul, wasn't familiar with the new devices, but said muzzleloading is a "slow and tedious" process.

"Us guys here would consider something like that useless," said O'Brien. "A .177 caliber BB is ballistically a joke, OK? I'm sure it could cause injury and damage, but as a self-defense weapon, no. Not to anyone familiar with firearms."

Guns that small have been around in various styles for a long time, and some have become curiosities and collectors items, but have failed as weapons, said O'Brien.

"It might do damage to eyes, that sort of thing. But serious damage to a 200-pound drug-crazed evildoer, no -- it'd just make them mad," he said.

--------------------------------------

Click on the link to see a photo of the weapon.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:16 AM

I just heard that this morning. I can't believe it that someone found it necessary to build this type "self defense" type weapon?
What's the world coming to?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Effective to 10 feet ? Hell if your that close might as well have some fun and use a knife.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default John,...

...your my kind of sportsman,...

..."cuse me while I take out my wallet, and shoot you with my fastercharge", nah, don't think so, besides, anyone with a permit to carry ain't going to shoot them with .177's, ...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk