The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Goats!

Does anyone or everyone remember the old "gamma-goats"? Pretty sure that is not the correct name for them. was trying to tell my fourteen year old about them and could not get him to understand. Does anyone know of a website or a place I can find pictures and specs for one?

Thanks

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2004, 10:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Is this the beast you're speaking of?
http://www.militarymotorpool.net/Gama%20Goat%20Page.htm

M561 Truck - Gamma Goat.
The M561 1.25 ton High Mobility Cargo Truck was built during the late 1960's and into the 1970's by the Consolidated Diesel Electric Company otherwise known as CONDEC. It was nicknamed the Gama Goat, "gama" from the name of the inventor of its powered articulated joint Roger Gamaunt and "goat" from its mountain goat-like offroad abilites.

The M561 was a 6x6 having a tractor unit and a trailer unit. The tractor sat two, a driver and a passenger, above the front axle and behind them was the Detroit Diesel 3-53 diesel engine. Attached to the tractor by an articulated joint was the trailer unit which was of standard military arrangment much like a pickup type bed with the addition of folding troopseats along each side. The tractor and trailer were permanently joined. The tractor had a front axle and a rear axle while the trailer had a mid mounted axle. All axles were powered. The M561 was also four wheel steer, the front steered in normal fashion and the rear most axle was mechanically steered in the opposite direction at 50 percent of the front axles movement. The steering was not self centering.

The M561 body was made of aluminum and the vehicle was swimable on inland waters. This vehicle was capable of higher mobility than the average pickup style truck or 1/4ton jeep due to its ability to flex in the middle and the forward position of the front wheels.

The Gama Goat was a successful offroad vehicle but due to a plague of mechanical problems, its loud engine noise, and special driver training because of its four wheel steering habits it was not pursued in future contracts and was eventually replaced in function by the M998 series HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle).

M-561 Gamma Goat (4x4): This unusual truck and trailer combination is in use with the US Airborne, due to its air-portability by medium cargo planes. The Gamma Goat has four wheel steering, making it difficult to drive for the unprepared. It is a little louder than the average truck, though its off-road capabilities make it second to none. It is amphibious as well.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 04-20-2004, 11:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Yes, that is it! Guess you are a better researcher than myself. Spent close to an hour looking for that. Thanks alot!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 04-21-2004, 04:54 AM

The drive train between the two articulated halves of the Gamma-Goat was prone to breakage and you always had to wear ear protection when driving one of those pigs. I never could figure out why they didn't put a better muffler on them.