The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to inhonurofswa
Default parts of my project!

I'm going to share with you some aspects of my report, I'm a little nervous because this project is so many of my thoughts and so personal, and then I stopped and thought holy hell, you guys have given your entire life stories to me, I am so grateful. So I'll show you some of the final product.

First off, this is a poem I wrote for one of my genres...it's called Soldier Life...its a two person poem so every other line is one person's point of view and the other lines are the other person's...in this case its a soldier and his wife....his lines rhyme and her lines rhyme...it can be read a lot of different ways..

As I serve I sit and wait for the shooting to subside
You’re over there so far away
For my country wrote the rules; so thou shalt abide
The protestors always make my heart sway
The mud, the heat, the guts, the gore
They’re not the ones fighting and dying
Reload your guns while bullets soar
At night they don’t hear their children crying
There is no time to stop and think
My soldier is the one who’s brave
Ho Chi Minh will surely sink
He’s become this country’s slave
Victory is a long ways away
Some drafted, other’s stop lossed
Just let me live another day
How many human lives will pay the cost?
The time has passed for prayers and hope
If I should get a letter today
My buddy’s death I just can’t cope
My heart shall rest wherever you lay
My only wish if I were shot
My concern for you is above all others
Just don’t leave me here to rot
I wish these words could be your mother’s
Request for heaven would be rude
I know she would want you to stay and fight
I just don’t wanna be Vietnamese food
No matter what the spot, no matter how tight
Tell my wife that I love her always
But what do I truly know
Through eternity where my heart stays
About the place you were sent to go
Raise you head with respect and pride
Your courage is greater than any I find
Army life is one heck of a ride
But I’m just the one who got left behind

Next is my introduction...this is a fictional story I made up of what I thought would be going through a soldier's mind while in Vietnam

A Hero Comes Home

“It was very quiet and very dark. My vision was blurred, our team came in contact with tear gas, my eyelids are rubbed raw. So now I am destined to only see a few feet in front of me. I know we’re in the heart of the jungle, I see the jungle surrounding me, well that, and bodies. I don’t know what happened before we got here but it couldn’t have been pretty, I don’t have time to stop and see if their some of us or the other guys, and quite frankly I’m so scared I don’t care right now. God, the smell, it’s a mixture of sweat, blood, guts, fuel, fear, and adreneline. The mixture makes your head spin and stomach weak. My buddy is in front of me, walking point, man am I glad I’m not him, what a night to walk point. It’s really quiet, I try to talk to myself but I am afraid I will get voices in my head so I begin to hum, it starts to soothe me…BOOM!! Harsh lights force me to shut my eyes quickly. I can’t hear a thing except for a very high pitched buzz, I feel as if I’m floating, I can’t feel the ground below me. Sharp pieces of metal sting my skin, I can feel the blood start to stream down my face, it’s almost soothing, it assures me that I am still alive. Suddenly I am slammed into the ground and I begin to stand. My vision and hearing slowly come back to me, I begin to check for damage. There’s Rich, laying in pieces in front of me, I turn and hurl. I’ve been in ‘Nam for three days, already my brothers aren’t coming home. Welcome to the life as a soldier, not to mention a FNG.” Vietnam is the most controversial war in U.S. history and the soldiers who served need their stories to be heard.

Throughout my report it had the lyrics to A Hero Comes Home by Idina Menzel

Another genre that I'll add is my prayer...it's supossed to be from a soldiers point of view

Genre #8
Group #6 Prayer

Dear Lord,

I know I haven’t always done what I should. I know I haven’t gone to church or talked to you in awhile. But God, I’m scared. I’m really scared and confused. I’m not sure why I’m here, in the middle of the jungle, with a rifle. They put me in charge, I’m in charge of other people’s lives, I don’t know what to do. I don’t wanna die and I don’t wanna kill. But I will, I will do it with honor and pride, and in the name of my country. But I’m gonna need some help, and I figured if I need this much help it’s gonna have to come from you. Please keep my men safe and if I die before the day ends may I be blessed.

In Your Name,
Amen

I know I say this all the time but I can't say it enough...thank you for all your help with this...you guys are my inspiration....I hope it did you justice...If you want to see more just let me know...I'll see what I can dig up...

God Bless,
Taylor
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to inhonurofswa
Default cover

O here here my cover, my first idea was considered "too graphic" so this is what it came out to be

And I know I showed you guys my Washington D.C. pictures adn just wanted to give ya an updated picture cause those were atrocious haha...this is me at prom...well at my house right before prom...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5001139.JPG (358.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg S5000872.JPG (354.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Taylor,

I LOVE your poem and your alternating rhyme scheme!

GREAT WORK!!

Steve

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Taylor ,Thank you ! Not only did you do us justice you made me very proud I served with the best of my generation. Bet your Uncle is proud too. Thank you again. Please post more when you can.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Taylor
EXCELLENT!!!....and definitely post more.....Did I fail to mention I wanna be a teenager again.

God bless the ACLU