Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size

Military Photos

Civil WarJan. 24th: I commenced keeping diary in Tom Sandle's book he being gone the Devil knows where. This morning inspection of arms weather cloudy and damp. No camp guards furnished by our Brigadier yesterday we were on pickett had the easiest duty our company ever done.
Doc Hanson is to return to the Regiment soon I understand. Good for us. Dr. Fitch I believe will leave and I pray to God such may be the case. We have left in our old troop: J.Y. Elliott First Sgt. Corp. Bennett Corp. Norton Homer Pratt Linnder Haynes Goodrich Orville Bassett Howard ? Will Smith and last and least Mell Follett. We lost out of our Squad: Corp. Dwight Lincoln Tom Sanders who has gone John Minnick's body was Duncan Hamilton to Pot found yesterday. Camp Stones River Jan. 26th: New order this morning. We are to have Company drill twice a day at 9 and 2. Drilled by Elliot this morning. Bennet D. Goodrich made requisition on the Sutlers and brought home 16 pairs of suspenders and 9 cans of peaches. Tried to get a pass to go to Murfreesboro to carry peaches and butter to Duncan Hamilton who is lying wounded there but the obstinate Englishman clerk for the adjutant failed to get it signed so I did not go. Weather still cloudy and cool. No news from the front. Important news from the army of the Potomac. Burnside is advancing. McClernand is making a forward movement. Grant is to cooperate with him. I hear nothing from HOME. The mails are to come through as all difficulty has been settled with the Railroad. Jan. 27th: Still in camp. Sick today with the bilious colic. Ate quite a hearty supper last night of Beans Biscuit and Butter and a stew of Vinegar & Molasses Allspice and pie. This morning we learned of Dwight Lincoln's death. He died the 18th of Jan. Anthony Daily is getting better and hopes to join the company soon. Goodrich quite unwell today. Norton goes to town to see Hamilton today who complains of the treatment he receives from Dr. Fitch. Rained all night and is snowing this morning the weather is awful. No drill today. The regiment was ordered to go work on the fortification but as the weather was so bad the order was countermanded. I went up with Norton and found Hamilton getting much better. I saw the ball that was taken from him. It was an English ball about 1 inch long. Still in Camp Jan. 28th, 1863: More snow fell last nite. Received a letter from Cousin Ann in which she tells me of Cousin Mary's death. How Uncle's people will miss her. - - - Still no news from Home. Shall answer Ann's letter today. Nothing doing in camp. Major General Bushrod Johnston is now commanding this army corps. (This sentence is marked "Error" in the diary. Bushrod was a Confederate General.) Why does the commanding General have so much confidence in him? To him we may lay our disastrous defeat on the morning of the 31st of December 1862. The box sent by the Ladies Aid Society of Kewanee came last night. A Committee was appointed to return thanks to them and as luck would have it I was elected to represent Cornwall, Bacon and Corvin were on the same Committee to represent Kewanee and Burn. Camp Stones River Jan. 29th: Still in camp. No drill today. Nothing has taken place worthy of note. Dr. Luckey was here on business for Dr. Hanson. His face looked familiar and good. I was much pleased to see him. The Committee met today and wrote a letter of thanks to the ladies of Kewanee for their valuable present of a box of socks, mittens etc. Was down to see Cousin Joseph today. He is not well is suffering with a bad cold in the head. Had pancakes for supper baked by Goodrich after much swearing. Still I have no news from home. No news from the front. Our forces are intrenching at Murfreesboro. Still in Camp at Stones River Jan. 30th: Regt. went out foraging. I was detailed to go with the trains. Weather was clear and cool. Ran most of the way to keep warm. Got forage of an old widow woman. After the trains were most loaded the Secesh commenced firing at Houghtalling's battery of which two pieces were stationed in the road. They fired two rounds before we arrived. We were drawn into a line in the rear of the battery when another shot came singing along and struck the house on our right only a few yards from our Company. The Regt. was held as rear guard. Pratt Cook McGinnis and myself were detailed to let down fences on the right of the road. We fooled the enemy good. They did not know we had left until we were out of range. 200 Cavalry followed up. Still no news from home. Darn the luck. Saturday Jan. 31st Camp Stones River: Weather cloudy and cool with a good prospect of rain. Our Brigade is to go on picket today. On forage yesterday and on picket today our duty comes all at once. Our Brigade is now commanded by Col. Bradley who has had the command since Col. Roberts death. We like him (Bradley) very much. Wheatstone and myself stood near each other and at night consolidated our posts. - - - A few shots were fired but no attack was made. The night was dark and rainy but what could the 42nd expect. Nothing but rain rain. It has rained almost every day since the battle of Murfreesboro. No news from the front. One brigade from Sheridan's and two from Davis division went out accompanied by all the Cavalry with 5 days rations in haversacks. I am glad we were on picket. Still no word from Home. Sunday Feb. lst: Came into camp after a rainy night on picket and found that our lazy cus of a cook had got nothing for us to eat. He got more curses than thanks. It is as muddy as thunder and suppose it will continue so until next summer. Nothing new today -- we hear all kinds of reports from the army of the Potomac. There is a report around camp that our regiment with a number of others are to be mounted. I hope it is so. How would the 42nd look on horses. One Hundred and Ninety prisoners were taken yesterday. Our cavalry charged them and took them without a shot being fired. They used sabers.. No drill today although drill call was sounded. Still no news from home. Monday, Febr. 2nd: Today the weather has been fine. The sun has shone all day. Something unusual. No drill today as it is too muddy. I marked Smith's, Elliot's and my own Poncho or rubber blanket then cut Haynes and Crangles hair. This is all I have done today. Nothing has transpired today worthy of note. Nothing from home yet. Orders came for us to go on picket tomorrow. Tuesday Feb-,,i 3rd: Weather cold and cloudy. Some snow prospect of much more and we are to go on picket. Anticipate a cold time of it. We built large fires and made shelters covered with our rubbers and managed to keep warm. Bennett Goodrich and myself went hunting Possom. Cut down one tree but were not lucky enough to find one. Decker and Pethick were among the fabled. No letters from home. Wed. Feb. 4th: Came off picket this morning met a large forage train going out. Saw E. Tracy Wells of Rock Island. Firing heard on our front. The enemy attacked our forage train. Received a letter from Alec B. Hanna. Today the weather is clear but cool. Capt. Church command Company A and F. No letter from home. 4 AM we were ordered out to support their forage train who have been fighting all day. Went out double quick 5 miles but found the enemy had evacuated. We were ordered to lie down and try to draw them into our ambush but it was no go. In coming back Capt. Church timed us one mile. We made it in 10 minutes. Snow is commencing to fall. Thurs. Feb. 5th: Weather stormy and bad and the regiment are on picket today. I did not go was in the sick list. Took some Blue Mufs pills and morphine. Elliot and myself had some stew of hard crackers flour grease and C wich had to do us all day. Our sutler does not make his appearance yet and I am out of tobacco. He ought to die. No news from the front and what is worse none from Home! Friday Feb. 6th 1863: Weather-fine sun shining seems like spring. Nothing being done in camp. Elliot and myself had a good time over with Mills at the Hospital. Elliot made much use of the term Genius Homo which was much sport. Sat. Feb. 7th: Weather fine. Received a letter from Jim Hanna. He seems to be somewhat discouraged about this war. Tom Sandles wrote to Corporal Norton to send his things to him. Among other things he mentioned was this book but I guess it won't go. Bought a can-of peaches $1.00 and a can of butter $1.25. There is nothing going on of any importance. Corp. A. Delong of Company L was accidentally shot this morning but not seriously injured. No letters from Home. Sunday Feb. 8th: Weather splendid! Done nothing but eat all the forenoon. In the afternoon Elliot, Bennett, Goodrich, Stebbins and myself went across the river and got some walnuts. Drank sugar water and had a good time generally. I have never felt so free from restraint since I have been in the service. No letters from home yet!!! Monday Feb. 9th: Weather cool and cloudy. Some prospect of rain. All quiet in camp. Nothing being done. No one feels when off from duty so long. Pratt and Heryears went to see Duncan Hamilton yesterday and found him much better. Had a good sing last night with Mills the Hosp. Steward. And again I have to record No letters from mother. Tuesday Feb. 10th; Fine weather. All the boys went acrost the river and we had a good time. I got hurt on the neck but that is nothing when one gets used to it. Orders just came that we are to go on picket. So we have to fill knapsacks and haversacks. Elliot and Pratt had Zouave drill at night. Pratt had the appearance of a crane. No word from home. Wed(., Feb. 11: Went on picket. Prospect of rain all day but did not succeed in getting up of a storm until night. We had a good shelter so we were all right. Companies G B F and A were in the reserve. Had some interesting conversation with a female contraband. I think she is spoiled. Still no word from Home! Thursday Feb. 12; Came off picket this morning. Weather splendid after last night's rain. It is as warm as spring weather. I got up early this morning and Pratt and myself went out and tried to milk old Secesh's cow but was hailed by an old wench who told us she would give us some milk. We had coffee with milk in it. Received a letter from Bill but none from HOME. Friday Feb. 13; Orders came to get ready to go out with forage train. We went out on the Salem Pike as far as the pickets stand and then went off to the left the lord knows how far. We were pirated by a citizen that came inside our lines to escape the conscription act -- took six horses -rained all day. No news from home. Went on picket and were robbed by the 22nd Regt. They acted in a soldiers term like durned cripes. We built rail shanties and covered them with our rubber blankets. Davis division returned today. The 4th Regt. Cavalry have been out 14 days on 7 days provisions. They drummed three men out of camp and took all their clothes off for stealing. All quiet on our front. Saturday, Feb. 14: On picket. Weather springlike. Well here I am on picket post looking out for Rebs. The Vedettes are posted out in front, one standing directly in front of me. The picket line runs East from my post. We are posted 5 miles from Murfreesboro on the Salem pike. Lt. Montgomery is in charge of this position of the guard. Lt. Murson in charge of the other. Capt. Branch officer of the day. Out in front are large plantations with numerous negro quarters. They present the appearance of a small town. (One of the arguments used in favor of slavery well fed, well clothed and good houses to live in. All but the feed clothes and houses.) Sunday Feb. 15 Weather cloudy and damp. Rained by spells all night. I was on post 5 times. Conscripts and contrabands were coming in all day. Took breakfast with an old Secesh lady who has lost three boys in the army. Rec1d letters from home this morning. Good news from home. Good news for me!!! Monday, Feb. 16 Weather in the morning cool and cloudy. Began to rain in the afternoon. Several Rebels were brought in about 10 o'clock. KKK Had a splendid game of ball on the open field in front of where we are camped. Bates and Cherry chose sides. While playing the assembly was sounded. We fell in not knowing where we were going, but we soon found out we were going out after forage. We went out some three miles, got 4 loads of corn and two loads of charcoal. Got back to camp at 3 o'clock. Dr. Hanson has returned to the regiment and I hope Dr. Lackey will also return. All quiet on our front. Pratt got some meal ground. We had some hasty pudding. It was splendid. Tuesday Feb. 17: Weather bad -- rained all night and rained all this morning. Had no rall call this morning as the buglers did not wake up to sound the call. Dr. Goddard has left our regiment. He is promoted to Contract Surgeon. The 51st Reg. on picket today. Our turn tomorrow. Nothing of importance today. All quiet on our front. A large force went out yesterday and have not returned yet. Wed. Feb. 18: Weather in the morning cloudy and cool with some rain. 21 of us detailed on picket. My number was five directly in front of the reserve. Davison was on my right and at night we consolidated our posts. Goodrich slept over his time and Smith had to stand 4 hours. Nothing new today. Conscripts are still coming in. Thurs. Feb. 19 Weather in the morning was cloudy but warm. Came off picket in good season and had rather a thin breakfast. It consisted of a small ration of coffee without sugar, boiled beef, sow belly and hard tack. Pvt. Elliot detailed to go back to camp and get a list of absentees from the company. Nothing much of interest has taken place today. 4 o'clock P.M. Goodrich, Wheatstone, Pratt and myself went out on a private foraging expedition. Pratt got frightened and came back bringing one ham got by Goodrich. The rest of us went on and found a large pen full of fine hogs which we were about to kill one when the proprietor came up and told us if we did not get meat at another plantation that he would give us one. So we went over and got into interesting conversation with the lady of the house. When I espied five guerillas coming up the road our only chance was to stand our ground which we did. A negro ran down the road and told them there was heaps of Yankees up to the house. They ran and we opened fire on them but killed a hog. done them no damage. On our return we Friday Feb. 20th: Weather clear and cold. Wind blowing quite strong. Batallion drill at 10 o'clock. Major Nottenstine in command. That accounts for it -and another drill at Doctors. We drilled about 3 hours. The Major making a damphool of himself after the company were dismissed. The boys gave him three groans and loud cries for him to have a nigger regiment. And I think him suited to that command. Nothing much of importance. Sat. Feb. 21st Weather in the morning cloudy and cool with prospects of rain. Nothing to write about today as nothing of interest has taken place this morning. Six of the Butternut Gentry came in this morning -- bully for them. About noon it commenced to rain and kept it up the balance of the day. It was a gloomy day for us, the 51st Regt. being on the outpost of course had to take the storm. Sunday Feb. 22 Weather cloudy and quite cold. This is Washington's Birthday. It should be celebrated by every loyal citizen of the United States. Our Regt. on picket today, 19 men in camp 4 on post. I was lucky enough to stay in camp having been on post twice since we have been out here. Nothing new today. Monday 23rd: Weather fine, the sun shining brightly. Drew two days rations for we are to stay another two days. 13 days without a clean shirt. Crip the powers that keep us out here. The rest of our division are getting their pay and as usual we have to wait until the last. Heard guns this morning toward Lavergne. Can't tell what it means. Tuesday Feb. 24th: Weather fine. Our regiment went out foraging. Davidson, Goodrich, Gates and myself were on detail to load the teams belonging to our Regiment. We went over the worst country I ever saw -- rocks and mud. The boys cursed the country by sections. Reported capture of Vicksburg today but I don't believe it. All quiet on our front. Wed. Feb. 25th Weather awful rained from 10 o'clock until dark without ceasing. A gleam of sunshine flashed acrost my path today. Sing and be joyful for I this day have heard from friends. All kind of reports in our camp today. One is that after being paid we will return to Nashville. (That is Sheridan's Division) and garrison the post. Another is that we will remain in Murfreesboro when the army moves. But I don't believe any of them. No army news. All quiet. Just came in from 12 days picket and will go on picket tomorrow. Thursday Feb. 26th: Weather more than mean. Rained all day and our regiment on picket. Seventeen conscripts came in day before yesterday and reported there were two hundred more awaiting their chance to come in. No news. All quiet. Friday Feb. 27th: Weather fine splendid day. Nothing of interest taking place today. Sat. Feb. 28th: Weather cloudy with some rain. Won 500 from Stebbins on the weather. Had company inspection of arms and ammunition at 12 past eight and Regimental inspection by Lt. Henbeck at 10 o'clock. Some prospect of our getting paid soon. We have six months due tomorrow. Signed the clothing rolls. Amount they owe me is $28.50. Sunday March lst: Weather in the morning rainy but about 10 o'clock cleared off and we had a fine day. Regiment went out foraging. Went six miles beyond the picket lines making out and returning about and returning about 20 miles. The boys all tired out. Nothing new today. Monday March 2nd: Weather fine. Sun shining all day. Pay expected today. The 51st Regt. paid this morning and about all drunk at night. Tom Sandles returned to the Regt. yesterday. There is a reported capture of the U.S. gunboat Queen of the West by Rebs but I hardly believe it. The 33rd have gone to Vicksburg and will have a share of the fight. No news from the front. Tuesday March 3rd: Weather cloudy and cold with some snow. Yesterday evening we received orders to pack knapsacks and be ready to move at a moments notice; but this morning the order was countermaded and here we are still in a state of suspense. Today came the news of the evacuation of Vicksburg. Today is to be long remembered by the 42nd Regt. as we received 4 months pay. Gen. Palmer sent in 74 prisoners captured from Moran's command. Wed. March 4th: Weather cold and stormy. Received marching orders about one o'clock last night. We left our tents and knapsacks only took our rubber blankets and one woolen with three days rations in haversacks. Took the Salem pike eight miles then turned to the left -- marched to Versailles 3 miles from the Salem road. All of our division did not move until 4 o'clock PM when we turned into a cedar forest over the worst roads I ever saw. Marched until dark, camped in an open field. Our cavalry took a Secesh camp baggage and all 47 prisoners. Thursday March 5th: Weather fine during the day but some rain at night./ Left the pike again this morning and marched acrost the country to Eagleville about 4 miles from the Salem Pike on the Nashville and Shelbyville road. Here we remained in line during the day expecting to move at any moment and attack the enemy. Goodrich and myself got each a bundle of straw to sleep on. Friday Mar. 6th: Weather warm and rainy. Up at 4 clock, breakfast at past 4. Ordered to move at 5 but did not move til 7. We then marched out taking a direction North by NW about 5 miles when we turned into the wood and formed a line of battle and will remain over night. Sat. Mar. 7th: Rained almost all night and we would have been in a sorry plight except for our Rubbers. We did not move until about 2 o'clock. Sunday Mar. 8th: Weather bad and stormy. Marched up the Nolansville Pike to Tryune, turned to the left, marched 8 miles from our old camp. Monday Mar. 9th: Weather warm and pleasant. on this morning with three days through Franklin, turned to the destination. Marched as far as A large force is marching on Columbia where and we expect a fight. Spring Mill 2 miles from Franklin. Started rations in Haversacks. Moved on left toward Columbia our present 12 miles from Franklin. the Rebs are in force Cavalry had a brisk skirmish this afternoon. Tuesday Mar. 10th: Rained hard all night last night and nearly all day today. We lay in camp until 12 o'clock when we marched forward, Sheridan's division in the advance. I was ordered to report to the Doc as he was unwell and no one to help him. Marched 5 miles when we turned off to the right and formed line of battle. It raining all the time. Lay there until dark when the regt. moved down the hill and camped. We were completely soaked through and it was still raining. Wed. March llth; The sky cleared off last night so it is warm and pleasant. We lay in camp all day. Thurs. Mar. 12: Weather pleasant. Reveille at 4 o'clock as usual. Assembly sounds and we marched back to Franklin 18 miles. Camped in the timber north of the town. The Rebs have retreated acrost Duck river and burnt the bridge so we cannot follow them. Friday Mar. 13th: Weather quite pleasant. Started at daylight. Marched through Franklin to Tryune distance about 15 miles. Sat. March 14th: Weather fine. Started early this morning. Marched through Eaglesville to our old camp at Stones River. Thank God we are once more where we can sleep in tents. We have marched over 100 miles over the worst roads known and through a country God never smiled upon. We have been out 11 days and most of the time on 12 rations. We accomplished nothing. Only our cavalry took some prisoners and a few wagons loaded with old chairs etc. Sunday Mar. l5th: Weather cloudy and cool. Stayed in camp all day. Rumors are afloat that we march tomorrow with 5 days rations. Don't know our destination but expect we will go to the front again. Received letters from home and friends. Monday Mar. 16th; Weather splendid like spring. Nothing doing in camp. All quiet on our front. Received orders to go on picket tomorrow. Tuesday Mar. 17th; Weather so warm that we had to hunt a shade. Went on picket at 1 7. Relieved the 75th Illinois. I was on the second relief. Only stood twice. Had a good time -- easy duty. Wed. Mar. 18th: Weather still hot and sultry. Came off picket in good season. When we arrived at camp found Sheridan's division all in confusion. We soon found whats the matter. We were ordered to pull down tents and pack knapsacks ready to move. We moved back about one mile and made another camp. Thurs. March l9th: Weather still continues warm. Nothing new in camp and now we have got the finest camp in the whole brigade. Friday Mar. 20th: Splendid weather. Still nothing new in camp. Sat. Mar. 21st: Weather cold and cloudy with some rain. We were aroused out of a sound sleep last night by the Sgt. Major who told us that we must prepare for something at daylight with one days rations in haversacks. We did not know what was up until 7 o'clock when we found there was an attack expected. Pretty soon we heard firing on the picket lines. Our brigade went out on double quick to support a battery which had opened on the Rebs. We laid down to prevent the enemy from seeing us. We lay there until noon when we came back to camp. Orders have come to prepare for a review by Phil Sheridan and tomorrow be reviewed by Gen'l Rosecrans. All is now quiet on our front. Understand that shelter tents have come for our Regt. and it looks like a forward movement. Sunday March 22nd: Weather cool and cloudy with prospect of rain. Our Brigade on picket. Our Regt. on the right stood on the old battle field. Viewed the breastworks from my post and it looks as though the enemy would have a good time getting inside. Bennett and Goodrich bought the fruit, candy and tobacco. All quiet. Monday March 23rd: Weather rainy by spells all day. Came off picket and were ordered to prepare for Grand Review by Gen'l Rosecrans. Our Brigade received especial compliments from the General. He said that our Regt looked comfortable and that were good soldiers and that we now knew how to live and that since our Regt. would soon be filled up we must learn the new ones how to Soldier which means to stand as well as we. Tuesday 24th: Rained all day by spells and of course nothing was done. All quiet on our front. Wednesday 25th: The weather was pleasant, cold but fine. Nothing new today. I learned that Cousin Joe went home on a furlough. Good for him. Received letters from friends today. Thursday 26th: Weather windy and cold. Received orders to be ready to march at one o'clock, destination Salem. We are to stand picket 4 days. Friday 27th: Weather bad -- rained all day. Our turn came to go on guard and it rained by spells all day and of course we were completely drenched. Saturday; Weather splendid. This morning the water was six inches deep in our dog tent and of course we spent a most miserable night. Sunday 29th: Weather windy and as cold as the deuce. Received orders to report to the Medical Director at Murfreesboro which I done and I suppose I am to be detailed as druggist at Hospital No. 7. Went up and reported to Dr. Woodward and he gave me a recommend to the Medical Director. Monday March 30th: Weather cloudy and cool. Went before the Medical Director and was assigned to Hospt No. 7. 1 commenced my duties as druggist after dinner. Cleaned up the office putting all things to right -- then wrote a letter to Mother telling her of my good fortune. Murfreesboro March 31st: Weather cloudy and cool. Done nothing but put the office in trim and put up perscriptions which took me all day. April lst: Weather just like the first of April -- rather foolish. Staid in the office all day and done nothing. April 2nd: Weather pleasant. place. Still nothing worthy of notice has taken April 3rd: Pleasant weather and in fact that is all I can say. Today I went out to my regiment and saw the boys. We are to receive pay tonight. April 4th: Weather windy and cloudy. Nothing out of the usual line of business has taken place today. April 5th: Weather pleasant -- spring has come at last and I feel so lazy I can hardly keep awake. Dr. Woodward received orders to hold himself in readiness to report to his regiment at an hour's notice so we all think there is to be a forward movement. I am having gay times here, plenty of Porter to drink and I am growing fat as can be. April 6th: Weather fine. Cavalry came in with about 29 Secesh that they took out at Liberty. All sorts of rumors are afloat today about the capture of Charleston South Carolina but I want to see the report confirmed before I believe it. We all think the Army of the Cumberland will soon advance but don't know where to. April 7th: Weather dry and sultry. Done nothing all day but put up drugs. Another intelligent contraband parted this life last night. No news from the front. April 8th: Weather still dry and hot. The roads are very dusty. Still nothing new to write about. Have not received any letters from home in a long time. No news today. Weather has changed some since morning and looks some like rain. The streets are crowded with the returned deserters. April 9th, 1863: Weather cool and comfortable. Had some rain last night. Startling rumors of an advance on Murfreesboro of the Rebs under Gen. Johnson. They drove in our pickets and we thought sure there was a fight ahead but night came and all remained quiet. April 10th: Sultry warm dry. All excitement has died away about our -supposed attack. Prisoners are still coming in in squads of 20 and 30. A spy was shot in Davis division and on his person was found a plan of our fortifications. He was a native of Bangor Maine. What a cussed fool he was to turn traitor. He was our army Poet. I sent one of his songs home. April llth: Splendid weather. No excitement today. Bishop Rosecrans will preach in the court house, shall try to hear him. Reported around town that the whole of Gen. Stanley's command has been taken but is not generally believed. April 12th Sunday: Had quite a rain last night and today it is more pleasant. Did not get a chance to hear the Bishop. Was engaged putting up prescriptions too late. April 13th: Weather splendid. Went out to camp and saw the boys. All well. Got my description Roll. I am bound to go home. I expect no one to see this or I would write better. Nothing new today. April 14th: Rained all day. I got Dr. Woodward to write out my furlough and tomorrow am to go before the medical examiners to see if I am a fit subject for a leave of absence. I only hope that they may think I am sick enough to go. April l5th: Weather cloudy with some rain. Went around and was examined by the doctors. Don't know how it will end yet. Will know tomorrow. I have made up my mind that they will not grant my application. They never let a man go until he has been dead six weeks and then only give him a furlough for 21 days. No news from the front. Van Dorn was badly whipped at Franklin (this state) by Gen. Granger. Rebs lost 800 killed wounded and taken prisoner. Thursday Apr. 16th: Weather splendid. Nothing new today. I have not heard direct from my furlough though Dr. Wood told me that the medical board had recommended me for a furlough. I do not think it will get past the medical director. Friday Apr. 17th: Weather fine. Sun shone all day. Still I do not hear from my furlough. I am getting tired waiting for it. Nothing new today. How strange it will seem to take to pick up this book when I get old and read what took place away down in Dixie. Sat. Apr. 18th: Rained all day. It was very welcome as we needed it. No change nothing new. Had quite a time down to the contraband ward. Sunday l9th: Weather in the morning was cloudy with some rain but about 10 o'clock cleared off and I accompanied Maj. Gill to church. Had quite an interesting time. Rec'd letters from Will Wilcox and N Ferris answered both. Monday April 20th: Sultry and hot. My furlough has come back approved and I am going Home. What pleasure that name rings on my ear. Who can tell the joys of home only those that have a fond mother awaiting them. I don't know as I shall come back a rational being. I am all ready drunk with excitement. I am afraid I shall not stand the shock. Home sweet Home there's no place like home. I leave kind friends behind but believe (all who read this) I would leave all on earth for a week with mother. Friday Apr. 24th: Weather was pleasant. I came through Chicago arrived at home about I past 5. Found all well. Len is still under the weather cannot speak above a whisper. This a pretty thought prettily expressed Take the bright shell From its home in the sea And wherever it goes It will sing of the sea. So take the fond heart From its home and its hearth Twill sing of the loved To the ends of the earth. Hospital No. 7 Murfreesboro Tenn May 14th: The weather has been delightful for the last month. I returned from Home on the llth and again resumed my duties of Druggist. I had a good time while at home. Learned some things in my family that was not so pleasant but let it pass. I must try to keep this for my old friend Ben as he requested it. There is no news of any importance to write. I understand that our army will advance soon. Straight whole command of cavalry were taken in Alabama. Found all the boys well in my company. May l5th; Nothing of importance today. Dr. Fritch has resigned his commission as surgeon of our Regt. and has gone home. Dr. Hansen has a leave of absence and has gone home to be examined for the position of surgeon. I hope he may get it and Mills get the position of Asst. Surgeon. Then I think there might be some chance for me May 16th; As usual there is nothing stirring. No news from the front. The news from the Army of the Potomac is bad. I guess Hooker got the worst of it. Sunday May 17th: Put up prescriptions in the morning and then read until about 11 when the bell rang for church. Went to church and listened to the Post Chaplain. In the afternoon visited the contraband hospital with Dr. Goddard. Found everything all right. Monday May 18th: Splendid weather today. Just warm enough to make one feel he didn't care a cuss. I think McCooks Corps will move soon as they are sending all the sick and convalescent to town. Our hosp tals are being inspected in anticipation of the coming battle. I only hope that we may have our usual good success in the next great fight. I have written letters to all my friends since my return but have rec'd none in return. Tues. May l9th: Nothing special today. The days come and go without any change. Frank Hamilton the Medical inspector was here today. He is called the first man of his profession. H.A. Stebbins was in from camp and confirmed the act of Elliot's being made Lieutenant -- good for him. He is deserving. There is a rumor going around of the death of the Reb general Morgan. I hope it may prove true. The Secesh have lost some of their best men. Stonewall Jackson, Gen. Van Dorn and others. No news from home. Some firing on the picket lines. Wed. May 20th: Weather was fine all day. Elliot & McFadden were up to see me. There is something afoot I am pretty sure as I saw all the medical directors in session. If we move at all it must be pretty soon. Our right rests now on Duck river and our left on Shelbyville so I think the center will move soon to Tullahoma. All quiet on our front. Thursday May 21st; Nothing new today. Only the usual amount of Refugees came in. Our army has not moved yet. Friday May 22nd: Gen. Palmer sent in for reinforcements last night and a large body of Cavalry and artillery went out. Tonight they returned with 200 prisoners. They took 200 prisoners and 30 horses and burnt their camp. Some prisoners also came in from the direction of Franklin. I begin to think we will get the whole of Bragg's army if we stay here long enough. Sat. May 23rd; Weather dry and hot everything covered with dust. Patton went out to see the boys of his regiment and I have his duties to attend to. More prisoners today. Grant and Pemberton have had a battle and Pemberton fell back. The Rebs claim a victory. I don't see how they can claim a victory when they fall back. Sunday May 24th: All still and quiet in the morning. In the afternoon went to church and got religion. After church attended the funeral of Lieut. Woods of the regular cavalry who was killed in the fight at McMinnville. It was the most solemn thing I ever witnessed. Monday May 25th: Weather dry and very hot. Vallandigham the damned old traitor passed through this place last night on his way South. He never ought to have been sent south. His portion should have been death. Still they bring in prisoners and deserters are coming in every day. As for niggers there is no end to them. Continual skirmishing on the front but it does not amount to much. Good news from Grant's army. 9400 prisoners and 64 guns taken. Bully for Crant. Tuesday May 26th: Still cheering news from the army before Vicksburg. Grant is doing well and is winning for himself a fine name. May 27th: Old Vallandigham did not meet with a very warm reception from the Secesh. I am inclined to believe that Grant has got himself into trouble. No news from there today. Sunday June 28th: I have not written for so long I feel ashamed but as there has been nothing of interest I did not feel like writing, but tonight I feel that I must write as there is something worth writing. Our army has advanced and has fought the enemy and have gained a decided advantage. I understand that our left occupies Shelbyville and our left wing is near Tullahoma. I am in hospital No. 1 as ward master. Have worked two nights and one day without sleep and tonight am on duty today. Can hardly keep awake. We have 250 wounded some have died. The battle is still going on and God knows I hope our side will whip thunder out of the Rebs. July 6th 1863 News has come today of the fall and occupation of Chattanooga and that Bragg is totally driven out of Tennessee. Lee has been whipped in Pennsylvania and our forces are in his rear. The prospect looks bright for the speedy termination of the damned war. I pray that it may soon close. I hope that I may be there to see when the final triumph of our arms may win for peace and prosperity once more. Thank God for our success and may they continue until not an armed foe may be found on loyal land and those at home who have kept up a fire in our rear. May the curse of an abused army be their heritage in after life. Still at Hospital No.l. July 7th: News has just reached us by telegraph that Vicksburg has fallen. Bells are ringing and soldiers are shouting. I pray to God it might be true. Everybody seems frantic with delight. The Rebellion is crushed or virtually so. July 14th Hospital No. 1: I learned today of the capitulation of Port Hudson with 18,000 prisoners. Surely the Rebs must be getting discouraged by this time. Its only a matter of time now to close this damned Rebellion. I give them just eighty days to play this thing out in and if it is not done in that time shall get disgusted. My wounded Confederates say that it is all bosh about Vicksburg and Port Hudson but I rather think it true at least I think I see it. Hospital No. 1 August 4th: Returned to duty after 14 days sickness. Found all right in the ward. Miss Thayer acting as matron of my ward. August 26th Bridgeport, Alabama Returned to my company after five months service in Hosp. Found the boys all right. Nothing of interest today. The Rebs are in plain sight across the river but there does not seem to be a disposition on either side to attack. Weather cool and fine. Sept. 6, 1863: In camp near Trenton Georgia the first troops that have invaded Georgia soil. Expect to go either to Rome or Chatanooga. Our cavalry had a skirmish yesterday. Saturday Sept. l9th: Started on our march about 9 o'clock. Marched forward about seven miles to reinforce Woods division. We were drawn up of battle our company sent out as skirmishers with H & G. about one mile when we discovered our brigade coming. We fell in stacked arms but no enemy came so we went further to our left. Marched double quick most of the time. Soon we came to where the enemy were drawn up in line. We pitched in then being in advance. We drove them a short time when they rallied gave us fits. I soon fell being hit in the left limb at the knee and here I am among the wounded. My wound is doing well. in line Advanced Sept. 20th: Weather cool and splendid. Was taken prisoner today by the enemy. So we may expect a trip through to Richmond as soon as we get able to be moved. So far they have treated us with respect. Our captors belong to the lst Ky. Cavalry. We are living on sow belly and hard tack. No news of our division. Sept. 21st: Wound still very painful. Dr. thinks he may have to amputate but I hope it may be saved without. I am resigned to my fate -let it come as it will. Such is war. Sept. 22nd: My wound still more painful than before. Dr. examined and thinks he will be justified in trying to save it without ampu tating. Rebs all through our camp but do nothing only trade hats with the boys. Have not heard from the Regt. since the fight. Sept. 23rd; Nothing of importance today. My wound very painful. About out of provisions and the Rebs say they cannot furnish us. The enemy took all but the eight or ten men with them of the nurses so we are short of help. Sept. 24th: Had an awful night of it last night. We are lying on the naked ground and I became so worn out that I thought I could not live until morning. My wound is very troublesome and gives me more pain than I can tell. Smith of my company is on my left and he discovered that he was completely covered with maggots. Poor fellow how he suffered. Sept. 25th; Weather warm and sultry. Passed another miserable night. Never was in such pain. Hope my wound is going well. Our forces are still at Chatanooga and will probably stay here, Braggs army to the contrary and notwithstanding. Bacon and John Tole are still in the field badly wounded. Part of the boys were paroled yesterday and are to report at Atlanta. We are living on boiled wheat that being all that we can get. How the boys suffer. The Rebs furnish us nothing to eat. Sept. 26th: Just one week ago today I was wounded. How slow time passes. My wound does not improve any as I can see. There are so many of us here that the surgeons cannot get around to all each day. Some of the slightly wounded will leave here today to try the realities of prison life in Richmond. No news from our army. Sept. 28th: Did not feel like writing yesterday as I was in too much pain. Nothing new today the same old feelings the same aching pains. We are living on boiled wheat and corn meal. All goes well. The Dock thinks my wound is improving. Wrote home today. Sept. 29th: Still in the same bed of pain. Know of nothing new. Sept. 30th: Were all paroled last night and as soon as convenient will be moved inside our own lines. Thank God for that. Oct. lst: Were put in ambulances before daylight but did not start until 8 o'clock. Hauled about six miles when we halted for the rest of the train. I never knew what pain was before. It seemed at times as though I must die. We did not arrive until 10 o'clock at night. Got stuck in a pond hole and could not get out for two hours and then were helped out by the 10th South Carolina Regt. My wound is considered to be improving. I never shall have full use of it again. Such is a soldiers life. I shall be a cripple for the rest of my days. Oct. 2nd: Wound much better after resting. Kind friends are all around me and offer to do all in their power for me. Thank God Dr. Hansen has the care of me. Oct. 3rd: For the first time since I got my wound I slept all night. I think with Drs. Hansen and Mills and my good spirits I shall soon be able to start for home. I.G. Neaps sent me 2.00 this morning. He is one of God's noblemen. Cousin Joe came in this morning with his uniform on. He makes a fine looking officer. Gates of my company shaved me and cut my hair this morning. Nov. 4th: All has been a blank. My wound has kept me delirious most of the time. Thank God I am gaining. No one heard from home. Chattanooga Nov. 7th: Father is at Murfreesboro awaiting me. Oh how I long to see him. I shall soon start for there. I am on the gain hope to soon fet strong. I wish I could see mother as well as father.
Note: by Melville Cox Follett


Display Order
Only logged in users are allowed to comment. register/log in
Related Links
Military History
Forum Posts

Military Polls

Does your local VA hospital provide adequate care?

[ Results | Polls ]

Votes: 46

This Day in History
1861: The U.S. gunboat Penguin seizes the Confederate blockade runner Albion carrying supplies worth almost $100,000.

1918: An American army of occupation enters Germany.

1925: After a seven-year occupation, 7,000 British troops evacuate Cologne, Germany.

1933: Nazi storm troops become an official organ of the Reich.

1941: Great Britain declares a state of emergency in Malaya following reports of Japanese attacks.

1950: The U.S. 2nd Infantry Division, the British 27th Brigade and the Turkish Brigade, began to fight their way south from the Kunu-ri area through the bloody Gauntlet, under continuous fire from Chinese forces occupying the terrain commanding the route to safety. The 2nd Infantry Division was virtually destroyed during the Battle of Kunu-ri where over 4,000 men were lost.

1950: Task Force MacLean/Faith, composed of elements of the U.S. 7th Infantry Divisions 31st and 32nd Infantry Regiments, was annihilated east of the Chosin/Changjin Reservoir. Only 385 soldiers of its 3,200-man force were able-bodied following their withdrawal.

1959: Twelve nations, including the United States and the Soviet Union, sign the Antarctica Treaty, which bans military activity and weapons testing on that continent.

1964: In two crucial meetings (today and two days later) at the White House, President Lyndon B. Johnson and his top-ranking advisers agree, after some debate, to a two-phase bombing plan for North Vietnam.

1969: Americas first draft lottery since 1942 is held.