The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default It's the Economy---STUPID!

Check out what our GLORIOUS LEADER has been saying about the "economy!

George W. Bush, October 12, 2006: "I fully understand that energy is going to help determine whether or not this nation remains the economic leader in the world. We're doing fine now. We've got a really strong economy..."

George W. Bush, December 20, 2006: "As we approach the end of 2006, our economy is strong, it's productive and it's prosperous."

George W. Bush, January 30, 2007: "It seems like to me the community spirit here in Peoria, Illinois is strong. And that's the way our economy is, as well. It's a strong economy."

George W. Bush, February 6, 2007: "I want to thank you all for giving me a chance to visit with you. First thing that's for sure, this economy is strong. I hope you feel it."

George W. Bush, July 10, 2007: "Let me first talk about our economy. It's - our economy is changing and it's strong. I remember back to - early on in my administration, when we were confronted with some very difficult times. There was a recession, the economy had gotten overheated and it was correcting. Then we got hit by an enemy that killed nearly 3,000 of our citizens, which such an attack obviously would have an effect on the economy. Then there were some corporate scandals that had a psychological effect on our economy. People were beginning to worry about the system where people were not upholding the law, taking advantage of the situation, taking advantage of shareholders. And yet, we acted and cut taxes - and cut them hard - (applause) - because one of the philosophical drivers of this administration is, is that if you have more money in your pocket to spend, save, or invest, the economy is more likely to grow. ... I'm not trying to elicit applause - thank you, but - (laughter) - and our plan has worked."

George W. Bush, July 26, 2007: "Real wages are going up; inflation is relatively stable. In other words, this economy is strong."

George W. Bush, August 27, 2007: "Cutting taxes has created a strong economy. We've created 8.3 million new jobs since August of 2003. Unemployment rates are down. People are working, inflation is low, interest rates are low, people are owning homes. This economy is strong."

George W. Bush, October 5, 2007: "I want to thank members of my economic team for coming in the Oval Office this morning to bring some good news here for America's families and America's working people. The - last month our economy added 110,000 new jobs. And that's good news for people here in our country. It's an indicator that this economy is a vibrant and strong economy."

George W. Bush, January 4, 2008: "This economy is on a solid foundation ... While there is some uncertainty, the report is that our financial markets are strong and solid."

New York Times, January 18, 2008: "While the chairman of the Federal Reserve told Congress on Thursday that a recession can be averted, Wall Street sent Washington a different message: it's already here. The Dow Jones industrial average plunged 306 points, capping a 14.2 percent slide from its all-time high in October. After 12 days of trading, the broader Standard & Poor's 500-stock index is off to its worst January on record. And the Russell 2000 index, which tracks small companies, sank into a bear market."

CNN, January 18, 2008: "President Bush proposed a series of short-term tax cuts Friday that he said would provide a boost for the struggling U.S. economy."

So let me get this straight... Our Great Leader says the same thing over and over again, and then it turns out that the complete opposite is true. Typical CONservative or what? Color me surprised!

Gimp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feather-monkey.jpg (32.5 KB, 7 views)

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Yeh, it is the economy and other nations are using that economy as a weapon against America. We go to other nations and promise them "free trade" on their stuff while those very same nations’ tax American products as much as 48% import tariffs and value added taxes. All 25 of the EU (European Union) nations aggree to a 23.76% import tariff + VAT before they do any business with us and we charge them anywhere from a 0% to 8% tariff and we loose jobs to those nations. China is a "Free Trade" nation and today the largest retailer in the world, Wal-Mart sells almost 50% of its sales with products made in China while the unemployment lines grow here at home.
BTW, it's the taxpayers’ dollar that pays for the unemployed and puts food on their tables if they even have a table to eat on and soon the taxpayer will have to pay for all of unemployed people’s medical care. I worked for one of the largest companies in America for over 32 years and on January 1, 2008 that company cancelled my own and my wife’s medical insurance coverage and when I contacted the company with questions about that decision I was told that "hard decisions like the cancellation of health care coverage of retirees had to be made to assure the company's ability to remain in business."
Why can't we charge a country that exports to America the same amount in taxes and tariffs that those nations charge America or would that drive up the cost of things sold at Wal-Mart? I would think that it just might take a bunch of folks off the welfare rolls and out of the unemployment lines.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks, Gimpy

Thanks for bringing this topic up, Gimp, I was about to do one on the economy

SO WHERE'S THE FREAKING PROSPERITY, REPUBLICANS????

You promised us and the world that huge taxcuts slanted twords the welthy would bring prosperity---looks like the republicon economic scheme has proven once again to be another Ponzi scheme.

Get this through your heads, Republicans: You can't BORROW your way to prosperity!! And Republicons have almost DOUBLED the national debt in the last 6 years, moving from $5 trillion in 2000 to NINE trillion in 07. In 2003, 2004, 2005 alone, the Repuglicon president and Republicon Congress ran up more debt THAN ALL PREVIOUS DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTS AND CONGRESSES COMBINED!!! (source World Almanac 2008)

Pretty lousy job for the party that claims to be the fiscally responsible one. Lets go over it again: Bill Clinton balanced the budget 3 times, producing actual surpluses. George Bush never balanced a budget, never came within $40 billion of it, doesn't know how to do it, won't ever do it. So much for an "MBA president." (They must give out those MBA degrees in Crackerjack boxes)

And their jobs creation record is equally pathetic--know what the latest monthly record one was?---18,000!!! Only 108,000 less than jobs lost that month through attrition. The jobs that have been created were not caused by thre taxcuts but by higher government spending---Repuglicans taking over the Demcrats line there's a good chart showing this right here: http://jobwatch.org/ Section: "Sluggish private job growth indicates failure of tax cuts" with chart.

An even better chart is on top of that page, showing wage increases: "Real wage changes by wage percentile" Notice that for everybody but those in the top 5% (95th percentile) wages actually WENT DOWN in 2004--2006!!!

Lets look at the DJIA On May 1st, 2001--3 months after Bush took the oath, the market was at 11,372.92. The Dow right now is 12,424.7. thats a rise of a little over a thousand points AFTER 7 YEARS!! Pretty dam lousy, Republicons, there's just no excuse for it.

I could go on and on (and will if provoked) Republicon rule is a disaster.

Stray good, Gimp
Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

“Washington, D.C. is a place where delusions go to thrive. That explains why Congress and the president are now agreed on remedies that will not work, expending money they do not have, to fix a problem that may not exist.”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Just remember the tax rebate check, which you will have to claim on next years tax return, is really just money borrowed from Communist China.

Larry
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

You are absolutely RIGHT!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.