The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2006, 07:06 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Scamp,

In all seriousness,
I live in a University town. A couple of young men in our church are working on their masters. One in geology (enviromental planning), and I know this kid is smart. He wouldn't disappoint you. The kids I've met in the technical Masters Programs here would know what they need to get ahead. These programs are somewhat difficult. I would check the University and see if he really went to school and got a degree. Now if he was a fine arts major, now that is another subject. Some of those kids are more clueless than an old rotten fence post. But, the hardcore science majors as engineering produces some fine graduates.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2006, 08:04 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default SuperScout...

I guess that the bottom line in America regarding Education, is that nothing about same truly ever changes?
Well,...at least favorably anyway.

You could have basically written what you wrote about political involvement, decrees or whatever regarding America's failure in general with Education, about 30 years ago. I certainly remember similar way-back-when, and/or arrogant authoritarian American Politicians knowing and decreeing what's better for educating children,...than do Career Educators or Front Line Teachers.

Hell,...just ask any HONEST Teacher or Professor what works, and had previously always worked.

1. Do The Work and Pass works. Don't,...and Fail works.

2. Be taught only in English, so can be proficient in Our National Tongue or Language about all matters. Any foreign languages should once again become elective or selective, if and where available.

3. Enforce all School rules and regulations, and especially those so bad that require Expelling, since likely of danger to all other students (plus teachers).

4. Once again HONESTLY grade and not grade as politically-correctly, "Feel Good" and/or overly-sensitively now required,...couldn't hurt either. Might even help produce more literates than now usual?

Regardless, why not try going back to what worked?
What point is there to keep adding MORE & MORE Taxpayer Funds to decades of proven failures?
I see no valid point to keep doing so.

Neil
Old 05-05-2006, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Boats,

I was raised on a dairy farm - way out in the sticks in Eastern Oregon. I walked a mile to school almost everyday. I got up at 5:00 AM so I could do my chores. Feed the cows, chickens, gather eggs and help with the milking. My job was to keep the kitchen stove supplied with kindling. This was all done before breakfast, then it was off to school. School started at 8:00 AM sharp. We got out of school at 3:30 sharp. I had all the states and capitols memorized before I went into the second grade. We learned the 3 R's from teachers who would not put up with foolishness, and if we got in trouble at school we got into more trouble when we got home. My education was far superior to my children's education. You learned a lot in those country schools. We had plenty of exercise. I played sports at school. Plus working on the farm and walking back and forth to school. I didn't realize it at the time but I was having a great life. Until Uncle Sam sent me a letter, "greeting! your friends and neighbors have chosen you to serve for them." Of course I had a few years of college by that time. But, life is so different now days.

Keith.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Keith

Part of your usually brilliant response nails the problem smack against the wall of reality: teachers didn't put up with any foolishness. The end of corporal punishment in government schools started the decline in education that makes it a gross waste of taxpayer dollars. When you have publicly funded school systems that are now adopting school books that are prohibited from using the terms "mommy" or "daddy" to describe the parents, you have an idea of part of the problem.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 05-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gee willikers, I see that Cal State just made it a requirement that Gays, Lesbians and Transsexuals who have made significant contributions have their orientation included with their name in school text books. I wonder if high through-put rate heterosexual horn dogs are to be mentioned as well. I know of two ex-presidents who qualify for this honor. Also know of an ex FBI Director who had some cross-dressing issues perking along and wonder if that gets an honorable mention.

Seems like the educational ship-of-state is without rudder, keel or sail and is exactly like a round potato chip bowl bobbing around on the briny blue and going which ever way the waves push them. Alas, agenda trumps mission and who ever is making waves, controls the instructional syllabus, text and mission. Unfortunately, the three R's are on the second or third page of the priority list and most certainly come well after the agenda du jour.
Maybe it?s just me, but I figure that kiddos that don?t have a good grip on the 3 R?s and realistic but basic reasoning skills are handicapped and will have to play catch up ball sooner or later.

Somewhere along the line I learned that Michelangelo was allegedly Gay, but so what. I was far more taken with the formal history of his life, wonderful works of art and scientific study that were presented without orientation reference.

Scamp
Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 PM

I see another problem and thats everyone (not this forum I mean people in this country) wants to blame the school system (including myself at times) Well I got to thinking a lot about this and what I have come up with is all these post are great and it shows we have a problem with our school system, but it is not the all of the schools job to see that Children in this country get an education or the government job. The over all responsibility is the parents and for what I have seen in a lot of cases is the parents don't care. When the parents have the guts enough to stand up as taxpayers and say hey thats enough no more and force the system to be fixed. The problem all in all will still be in place.

It is the Good Lord\'s job to forgive Osama if he wishes to. It is the U.S. Military\'s job to arrange the MEETING.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:28 PM

Distinctions
Staff 

As a geography minor, the results of that test scare me. Education is too concerned about making the kids feel good than about making them smart. I am somewhat afraid that I will not be able to handle the rigors of my Masters program this fall because I never learned decent study skills and still really do not have them as I was never challenged as a kid, but I figure I have made it this far (will receive my BA in two weeks), I will make it the rest of the way. Heck, by the last two years of high school, I don't think I brought home any homework.

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Education The Visual Problem

The real problem is:
The cultural change that is being made in the USA. PC and various liberal ideas are ruining our culture. We have become an urban culture verses a rural culture. Urban culture breeds much more crime and laziness of life style. The cultural shifts are to blame for much of our problems. Marriages don't last. The television provides us with our value system, Etc. Its not just the education system but the eroding of our entire culture.

Keith