The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Old Friends Say Goodbye

This is for all of my Vietnam veteran friends..

Old Friends say Goodbye.

As my wife holds me gently in her arms my tears flow down my cheek, as I look upon the names of old friends cut into the stonewall.

She whispers to me that it is ok just let it go, just let it go for she knows the sorry I feel deep inside my heart over those who have died.

As others stand near they cry also and I hear them say it is ok to cry for those who did not return home.

I feel the soft touch of a hand touching my heart and the soft-spoken words from the wall saying we are here to help heal your pain so let it go, just let it go.

As the pain flows from my heart I remember the joy of old friends at play, singing old songs, and the smile of old friends.

As my wife lets go of me I turn to the wall to touch its face smiling back at those old friends saying thank you for letting me let go at this time. Thank you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

RA all this stuff you have posted is good. Did you write them ? I tried to go to The Wall several times and just fell down crying way before I got there cause(I think now ) I felt like I was going to say goodby to my brothers. At a reunion of my unit at The Wall 2 years ago 3 guys who were in my platoon put their arms around me and said " Hey LT lets go say Hello to our brothers " and I finally made it to The Wall
Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 PM

LT
No, I didn't write them. I just searched very hard for the appropriate poems with words that I felt I would want to say and don't have the talent to write. And I know that when I finally get to The Wall with my husband we will both be sharing the same feelings whether they be happy or sad.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

RA , thanks for searching for those poems. Touched several here including me. Good luck at The Wall. Ask your husband to read here and pitch in , if he wants to.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Doc.2/47

What El Tee said goes for me too.

Haven't ever made it to the actual wall but-by taking my kids with me to remind me what it was all about-I finally made it to the traveling wall. Glad I went.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Yes learning to let go was hard, but the traveling wall surely helped me let go of lost friends.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).