The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM

Question What kind of leadership do Naval officers receive??

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AP) -- A woman accused of duct-taping her two children together and leaving them home alone has been charged with child abuse, the sheriff's office said.

Agla Nadia Vincent, 25, was arrested Monday following a seven-month investigation into whether she left her two boys, then aged 2 and 3, taped to each other while she went to work, said Lt. Annie Smith of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Vincent was a four-year naval officer at the time and worked at the Jacksonville Naval Air Station. She completed her service and was discharged in August, naval base spokesman Rick Cruz said.

In March, a witness heard the children crying and called the police. When military police arrived, they found the children taped in a bedroom with feces and cereal scattered on play mats on the floor, investigators said.

The children were taken into custody by the Florida Department of Children & Families and Vincent was free pending an investigation.

An officer who arrested Vincent said she denied leaving the children home alone all day.

Vincent was being held Tuesday on a $5,000 bond, the Florida Times-Union reported for Wednesday's editions. It was not clear whether she had an attorney.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2006, 10:45 AM

For crying out loud, I hope there isn't too many like her in the navy.
What gets me is how can someone be so determine to want to be a military officer in the US Navy on one hand, and on the other commit acts that's so undersireable.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM

Well Advisor, I like to think that "Naval Officers" get pretty good training...I mean...Marine Officers are Officers in the Naval Service (ergo "Naval Officers"), and while not perfect, doubt we'd do anything like this. Then too, I really doubt that a U.S. Navy Officer (Naval Officer) would do this, either.

Again..."Ossifers" ain't perfect, and having been the Provost Marshal (TopCop) of Camp Lejeune back in the early-mid-90s, I can tell some horror stories where commissioned officers were less than stellar players...but I'm just wondering IF perhaps this woman was not actually a "naval (commissioned) officer," but rather a "naval (petty...as in noncommissioned) officer"...??? I can't easily Google from here in The 'Stan, but perhaps others could check this out.

WHATEVER the case, it's a sad case and one that could have a marked, and very negative effect on the kids for years yet to come.

Fly me a PM when you get the chance Joe.

Semper Fi From the Sands of Kandahar,
Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Please do not base Navy Officers on what this one idot did. A majority of Naval Officers are well educated, and care about the sailors they lead. I know that in the Army the majortiy of the officers were the same way and cared about the men and women they led. I think this well said of all the Officers in the Armed Forces. There are some quirks in all ranks either enlisted or officer.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

This has NOTHING TO DO with leadership and everything to do with pathology. Sick people are everywhere!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The Rest of the Story from the Times Union News

A woman is arrested after MPs say they found kids had been duct-taped
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin..._5937376.shtml

By ADAM AASEN, The Times-Union

A Jacksonville woman was arrested Monday on child abuse charges after her toddlers were found duct-taped together in her home in March, police said.

The arrest follows a seven-month investigation into whether Agla Nadia Vincent, 25, left her boys, ages 3 and 2 at the time, taped up all day while she went to work at Jacksonville Naval Air Station, said Lt. Annie Smith of the Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Unit of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

A witness heard Vincent's children screaming and crying through an open window at 8 a.m. March 3, according to the police report. The witness later saw one of the children wearing a soaked diaper and duct tape on his leg at her door about 4 p.m. There was no answer at the door, so the witness placed the child back in the home through an open door and called authorities, the report said.

At the time, Vincent, 25, was an Airman living on the naval base, said Rick Cruz, base spokesman.

When military police arrived at the house at 4:48 p.m., Vincent said her children were not at the house, Smith said. The MPs entered the residence to find the children taped to themselves, crying on a bed in one of the bedrooms, the report said.

Vincent then jumped on the bed and ripped the duct tape off the children's legs with her teeth in front of the MPs, the report said. Authorities suspect one of the boys was re-taped after he was returned by the witness, the report said.

The MPs found feces and cereal scattered on play mats on the floor of the bedroom the children were in, the report said.

Authorities suspect the children were left alone all day, duct-taped. The witness said Vincent's car was not at home about 8 a.m. but was there around 4 p.m. when she returned the child, the report said.

The boys were taken into custody by the Florida Department of Children and Families.

Work records show Vincent was at her duty station during the day, the report said. According to Jacksonville police, when Vincent was arrested Monday she denied that she left her children home all day, saying she must have been home or someone had been baby-sitting but could not give a name. She also denied removing duct tape from the children, the report said.

The Naval Criminal Investigation Service began investigating Vincent for child abuse but handed the investigation over to the State Attorney's Office, which is standard procedure, Cruz said. Vincent, originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., was in the Navy for four years, working in aviation maintenance and administration before she completed her service and was discharged in August, Cruz said. After her discharge, she moved to the 7300 block of Blanding Boulevard.

She was being held Tuesday in the Duval County jail in lieu of $5,000 bail.

Vincent recently began work as an administrative assistant at Edward Waters College. James McLean, vice president of institutional advancement, said she would lose her job if she is convicted of the crime.

John Harrell, spokesman for the Florida Department of Children and Families, said he could not comment on the specifics of the case but said the "allegations are horrible." Harrell said he urges anyone who might witness abuse to report it by calling 1-800-96ABUSE.

adam.aasen@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4247
Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 AM

SSgt D:

Thanks for the follow-up on this Jerry...kind of confirms my thoughts on the matter w/re to "Naval Officer" bit...just another case of mis-reporting on part of media. One would think a newspaper around a major military installation would know the diff...?!?!?!?!?! :cd:

Semper Fi to All from the Sands of Kandahar,
Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Marinevet,
The AP wire isn't known for checking their facts(but known for embellishing). The Times Union does a good job reporting in Jax and they don't do the Media thing of Identifying a suspect as being Military just to pump up the headline. The Seattle P-I in Seattle,WA was bad about painting all the services with biased reporting. If there was a domestic dispute it was always "Army soldier beats up wife" instead of" John Doe beats up wife" for example. you all take care over there and keep up the good work

Jerry D