The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 2 weeks as a grunt

When I got to my unit, I was with the guys for two weeks before I was given a Radio, to carry. The RTO had gotten shot. During that 2 weeks, I tried to befriend several of the guys in my squad and didn't have much luck. Seems they didn't have any urgency in making friends with a FNG. Now we walked together and eat together but not one laugh together. (Kinda like the people hear) Until you lay it on the line, your not really one of them.
Thats just the way it is. People in an infantry unit will die for each other, but for them to die for a FNG is not gona happen.
Now I don't remember this happening but it seems that I fired all but 3 rounds in my M-16 and threw all my grenades in a small un noticed fight with some VC. And from then on I was one of them. I had never felt so good in my life, (even to this day). To be excepted by them, as one of them.
You guys in an infantry company will probably understand what I'm talking about, you others probably had some different acceptance procedure. Either way, the day comes when you are a part of them and you feel good.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: 2 weeks as a grunt

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g When I got to my unit, I was with the guys for two weeks before I was given a Radio, to carry. The RTO had gotten shot. During that 2 weeks, I tried to befriend several of the guys in my squad and didn't have much luck. Seems they didn't have any urgency in making friends with a FNG. Now we walked together and eat together but not one laugh together. (Kinda like the people hear) Until you lay it on the line, your not really one of them.
Thats just the way it is. People in an infantry unit will die for each other, but for them to die for a FNG is not gona happen.
Now I don't remember this happening but it seems that I fired all but 3 rounds in my M-16 and threw all my grenades in a small un noticed fight with some VC. And from then on I was one of them. I had never felt so good in my life, (even to this day). To be excepted by them, as one of them.
You guys in an infantry company will probably understand what I'm talking about, you others probably had some different acceptance procedure. Either way, the day comes when you are a part of them and you feel good.

Ron
Ron
I was replacement in a platoon that had been mostly wiped out, there was only a few old guys left. they weren't into passing vital information so we FNGs were on our own right away. Make it up as you go along. Fortunately I was one of the first prelacements, I got seniority that way
I was MIGHTY glad I had 8 months of Jungle training in Panama before Vietnam, I might not have survived without it.