Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking VFF Rallies For Vet Candidates

VFF Rallies For Vet Candidates

September 17th, 2008

This morning in a park across from the US Capitol, 17 former service members gathered at what was billed by the Vets For Freedom as “…the largest gathering of Iraq and Afghanistan veteran candidates to date, as Vets for Freedom will stand with 17 congressional candidates from both sides of the aisle and two generations of the American warrior class – those who wear the uniform and return home to serve in public office.”

The press released stated that “The candidates will express their bipartisan support for a recently dropped House Resolution which states that the surge in Iraq was successful and acknowledges that the success is a result of the strategy and the troops.”

The gathered crowd of about twenty people, mostly press and bloggers, were addressed first by Pete Hegseth, the Executive Director of Vets For Freedom (who also wrote this great article at NRO yesterday, by the way) and by James Inhofe Republican Senator from Oklahoma. Both commended the gathered veterans for continuing their service to their country in this video;

Then, Democrat Congressman from Georgia Jim Marshall spoke about the importance of having veterans serve in Congress.

His video remarks;

David Bellavia reminded the crowd that these candidates come from both major parties and if they can work together as Marines, soldiers, airment and sailors, they can work together in Congress.
Part of Bellavia’s introductions;

The candidates that gathered there were;
Duane Sand – ND At Large Charlie Summers – ME-5
Tom Manion – PA-8 Duncan Hunter – CA-52
Vince Micco – NJ-9 Senator Jim Inhofe – OK Senate
Robin Hayes – NC-8 Allen West – FL-22
Will Breazeale – NC-7 Steve Stivers – OH-15
Jeff Beatty – MA Senate Marc Ellmore – VA-8
Steve Hudson – MD-8 Chris Myers – NJ-3
Craig Williams – PA-7 Sean Sullivan – CT-2
Some of the above named were absent, busy campaigning for their seats. Some were Republicans, some were Democrats, but they all shared the experience of serving in the military and they were all pro-victory (certainly not pro-war as our side is so frequently mischaracterized).

And that little guy on the end, he’s an Iraqi, formerly an interpreter and now he’s applying for US citizenship. I’m sorry I didn’t catch his name.

Yes, THAT Allen West;

Oh, yeah, CNN was there, so let me know if they run any of the tape;

I won’t be holding my breath. My Flikr account has more pictures. Some folks at the event gave me their card to send them the pictures, but I’m sending the address to the blog instead…help yourself to any pictures.
Posted by Jonn Lilyea in Politics, Protests/Rallies, Support the troops

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=3230

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links