The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Update on Vet center appt.

Saw the Vet Rep today. Everything is a go depending on His findings. It is obvious that some thing is not right when an Employee goes to the boss and suggest I attend an anger management class, or Your friends at the golf course asks? "Damn who pissed in Your coffee"? I guess I do agree with My Employee, some days it's "hell" getting along with Me.
Don't think it is intentionanl just that un-controllable attitude. I've told My boss, it is what it is. What else can I say. Just look forward to meeting the Vet groups, and under go the sessions, and who knows may even run into someone I know. I think I'm headed in the right direction.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Good Deal!

Stay at it. Hope it all works out. If one place is not good...there are others. I always counsel that if you don't like your therapist, or not feel comfortable, find another. But the Caveat is, give them some time. Had a huge, and I mean HUGE, former Marine who hated me when we first met. Took a little while, but we ended up working together like you wouldn't believe. He had a heart attack and died over a year ago. I really liked him.

Go For Broke!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up VA

Okay
Been a while. Dealt with the holidays, mental issues, and other stuff. My claim was submitted on 8 Dec. 2008. I've received correspondence from the regional office in Nashville. The latest information is that, They will make a decision within 30 days, in the meantime if I have any other information to provide, I can forward it to Them. I sent off
more info today. Name of Clinics, My Psychologist address, and phone numbers, a list of
medical prescriptions, and after action reports from 7 Jan 1970, in which We lost 5 Men
of My unit in that battle. Also sent copies of medical records that They didn't have access
to. I signed out My records when I initially submitted the claim. Bottom line, I'm claiming
PTSD, Hypertension, hearing loss, and type II diabetes. This is the findings from My last
visit to the VA, and advice from the Assistant Director of Shelby County Veteran Affairs.
Va has also stated that I have 1 year from the date of My claim to provide additional
data in support of My claim. So this is where I Am with the VA. Thanks for all of Your advice, and support.
PS. In case You wondered. Yes I have a written diagnosis for PTSD.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Good job, Top! I and others have found it really beneficial to have a service org. like DAV, VVA, PVA,etc. to represent you in your claim process. In the supposed "new and improved" VA claim system you really shouldn`t have to provide them with any more info than you already have, but if you do a service officer will help you.
While you`re in the filling out papers mode, file a disability claim with Social Security as well. Good luck and God bless.

Peace,Griz
Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Good advice from Griz...

You'll find that Social Security is the hardest of all. Doesn't matter that you paid into the system your whole life. Very few get awarded without going to court. They could care less what the VA says.

I'm surprised at the 30 day turn around. They don't go by CIB'S, PH'S, etc. Anymore. Maybe this has all changed. Pighumper and I, both 11B4P's, PH recipients, etc. had to wait almost 2 years until the Army confirmed our combat. Hope that's changed for you Top. You should have no problem at all with the Type II....it's a given now from Agent Orange. Hypertension and PTSD.....well, hope the only thing you'll have to argue is rating.

Good luck Bro and let me know if I can be of further help.

Packman

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Yeah
I'm a little nervous about the 30 days We will let You know something. I get the uneasy
feeling about this going back to the drawing board at day 1. Hope I Am wrong. I know the
last letter that I got They sent a carbon copy to the American Legion. Glad I have everyone support. Social Security is something new to Me. I thought You had to be
at least 70% disabled. Shows what I know huh?
Thanks again. I'm seeing a Vet Rep at the Vet center Tuesday at 10:00 I will ask these questions.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sounds good !! If I can help you in any way, please let me know.

Larry
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Same here from way over in the other end of the state. It is a miserable process getting a claim through no matter what. What your war record is is important but equally important is your clinical record of treatment for PTSD. What those people say about you carries a lot of weight. The Vet Center guys in my opinion are better than the VA proper both in treatment and help with a claim.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Agree

It's been 17 years since I worked in the Vet Center Program, but we used to help vets in ways the main stream VA couldn't or wouldn't. Stick with the Vet Center unless it's a bad one. I don't think so, though. Larry has had good luck there, I think. There are good VA shrinks though. Mine was unbelieveable in my process with both DOD and VA.

Pack

Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have been going to the Memphis Vet Center off and on for 7 years. Top notch folks, one and all !!!

I have also been in a weekly hour long process group at the VA hospital for about 15 months. It has helped me a great deal too.

Depression is something that will eat at you a little bit ever day until you find yourself incapacitated. I do not ever want to be like that again. The VA has helped me turn my life around from where it was in Nov 2004. I can't say enough good things about them.

Larry