The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2003, 02:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post The Objectionable Portion of the Film

The Objectionable Portion of the Film comes from Matthews Gospel Chapter 27:22 - 26.
The choice between Barabas and Christ. The shouting of the Jews saying, "Crucify Him, Crucify Him" And the Jews telling Pilate, "Let His blood be on our hands." All that film is doing is portraying the Bible as it is written. Most major films done on the crucifixation have that scene. Why the protests this time around? My guess is because PC in more in place than in the past. Never offend anyone (unless they are conservative) we might hurt someone's feelings. Its an attempt to rewrite history.

Mel Gibson and his family belong to an ultra Conservative sect of the Catholic Church holding on to the Latin Mass and other traditions of the church. I believe all this is, is another attack by the media on conservative Christianity.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2003, 04:18 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Keith,You`ve hit the old nail squarely on the head.I couldn`t agree more...

Peace,Griz
Old 10-10-2003, 07:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Opps, wrong thread.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:17 PM

Default The Passion

I am not a practicing Catholic, but I was raised as one. I was educated by Dominican Nuns (9 years) and Jesuit Priests (4 years). I was taught to read and speak Latin and really enjoyed the "old style" Mass.

When they changed the Mass to English, it seemed to lose something. If you can understand the Mass in the original language, it is a moving experience. Even today, when I go to Masses for Funerals, Weddings, Baptisms or Confirmations, I still find myself replying in Latin.

I will definitely go to see this "experience". Thank you very much for the outstanding critique of this film.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:26 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default sfga6970

I also went through 12 years of Catholic schooling, all 12 under the tutalege of the Sisters of the Marquis de Sade, er, rather the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. Like you I still find myself saying things in Latin as opposed to the English of today. The Second Vatican Council said it would make the Church more acceptable but I think it divided it. Now you've got local churches with masses in French, Polish, Spanish, Italian and every other conceivable language here in America. At least with Latin you could go to any church anywhere in the world and know what was going on, except for the sermon. I miss the old music, too. Even at Christmas I find myself singing Aedeste Fidelis (sp)instead of "O Come, All Ye Faithful!" We had to study Latin in school but the only thing I remember is "Al Gaul divisa tre patria est" from Ceasar's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars. A friend of mine teaches Latin in the Springfield, MA school system and he has his students translate "The Simpsons" and contemporary music into Latin. They even had T-shirts made up with Bart Simpson dressed in a Roman togo and saying, in Latin, "Don't have a cow, Man!" except that the strict translation was "Do not give birth to a female bovine, Man!". At the very least, he made it a fun class.

As we say here in Beantown during the League Championship Series,
"Eamus, O Tibialia Rubentia!"
Old 10-11-2003, 08:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Griz -
This is one film I am truly looking forward to seeing... if it disturbs the digestion of some, then so much the better reason to look it up.

Not having been a Catholic, still I appreciated the traditional latin mass, liturgy and nuns in habits... kinda made the world have a symbolic anchor of some kind, and made me think that Vatican II was the first major PC move of the 20th century...

"Jesus is back, and is He ever pissed!"
Old 10-12-2003, 02:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Griz,

I saw "We Were Soldiers" in the theater while my ship was being built. I went with a couple of my friends who have a habit of discussing a movie while it's playing. Neither of them said a word, nor did I, until at we got to the hotel about 20 minutes later. There was nothing we could say. It effected each of us in a different way. I now own it on DVD. I've watched it once since.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 10-12-2003, 10:43 AM

Default revwardoc

"Non Illigitimi Carborundum"
Old 10-12-2003, 10:45 AM

Old 10-12-2003, 02:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sic Semper Tyrannis !