The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The mountain phase of Ranger School

Is taught just north of here in Dalonaga, Georgia at camp Frank B. Merril. OK just a test but do any of you know what WWII unit is considered the base for todays Special Forces Units? Meaning the Green Berets. The news media has lumped all special operations units into a single group and are calling all Special Forces, There are the Navy SEALS, Army Rangers, Army Special Forces, Marine Recon, Army Avaiation Group 167. There are some Air Force special operations folks that deal with Air Sea rescue and aviation related ops but I have never dealt with them. Within each of these groups are specialized operational sub units and teams such as Hostage Rescue Teams and anti-terroist operations. Past that are units so classified that you need a NSC clearance just to know their name.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2003, 06:57 PM

Talking

I rode to school an the short bus..does that qualify me as special?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: The mountain phase of Ranger School

Quote:
Originally posted by PHO127 Is taught just north of here in Dalonaga, Georgia at camp Frank B. Merril. OK just a test but do any of you know what WWII unit is considered the base for todays Special Forces Units? Meaning the Green Berets. .
Sid?

My guess would be Merrills Marauders

Rangers Lead The Way!!!
yeah, and the lrrps led the Rangers

James
Old 12-17-2003, 06:06 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default 5303rd composite battalion

Otherwise known as Merrils Marauders. Organized the indian Chindits and fought in Burma under Vineger Joe Stillwell.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:34 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default PHO127

Old 12-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default You are correct

I knew I should have checked before saying that. I have to stop trying to do things from memory, It ain't so good anymore.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:16 AM

Ads,
Yer sssspecial jusss like me!
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 12-17-2003, 11:55 AM

The WWII basis for Special Forces is TWO separate entities. The OSS (Office of Strategic Services) and the 1st Canadian/American Special Service Force which was the basis for the movie "Devils Brigade" and which was founded in 1942 at Ft. Benjamin Harrison, Montana. The commander of the unit was a Col. Robert F. Fredrick.
The "Father of Special Forces" appellation is given to Col. Aaron Bank who was a member of the OSS Special Operation Branch.

Officially, the SF derives it's Lineage and Honors from the 1st Special Service Force (US/Canada), the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th and 6th Ranger BN's and the 2nd Infantry Battalion.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:22 AM

Default SF

Thanks Colmurph,

Great answer.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 12-20-2003, 06:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default S/F

Quote:
Originally posted by colmurph The WWII basis for Special Forces is TWO separate entities. The OSS (Office of Strategic Services) and the 1st Canadian/American Special Service Force which was the basis for the movie "Devils Brigade" and which was founded in 1942 at Ft. Benjamin Harrison, Montana. The commander of the unit was a Col. Robert F. Fredrick.
The "Father of Special Forces" appellation is given to Col. Aaron Bank who was a member of the OSS Special Operation Branch.

Officially, the SF derives it's Lineage and Honors from the 1st Special Service Force (US/Canada), the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th and 6th Ranger BN's and the 2nd Infantry Battalion.
I guessed Merrils Marauders becaus they were th obviousbut it didn't sound right. Merrils Marauders were an infantry outfit mostly.
I suspicioned they were more a part of the OSS because the misions are more similar. They may have lineage from this or that organization but the SF are a class all to themselves. I really can't think of a WWIIAmerican organization like the SF
Well, its easy to see where theRangers come from.
Merry Christmas

James

"Personally I think Rogers could have been a very good statistician if it hadnt been for some high ranks that felt threatened by his brilliant tactics. "
Maybe they didn't like his statistics