Old 01-20-2004, 10:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Just Desserts

Quote:
Charity announced $1.5 billion gift from estate of McDonald's heiress

ASSOCIATED PRESS
3:53 a.m. January 20, 2004

WASHINGTON ? The estate of the late-San Diegan Joan B. Kroc is presenting the Salvation Army with a donation that is likely to exceed $1.5 billion, the charity announced Tuesday. Kroc is the late widow of the founder of McDonald's Corp.

-----------------------------------------------------------

During the recent firestorms here in San Diego County, the presence of the Salvation Army was clearly obvious! ?They were there to help", while some other charities were merely visible without substance! (opinion) They talked the talk, and there it ended!

Joan Kroc?s donation to ?Sally (Salvation Army)?, I am sure will - for the most part, go to help the victims of future national disasters.

Some time back, an expose? was done over the amount of (so-called) administrative costs sliced from the top of loving donations. In many cases, the dollar amount was astronomical! And although I am not aware of the administrative costs removed from said donations by the Salvation Army, I am here to tell you all that they were there when we needed them. Not only with talk and comfort, but with real action and results!! (AMEN)

VERITAS
Old 01-20-2004, 02:36 PM

I wish she'd left me 1/2 of 1% I'd be a happy camper and retired.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:53 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

HEY BOATS -

Like me, I don't think that we would merit even a day old hamburger, minus the fries!!

VERITAS
Old 01-21-2004, 04:26 AM

This is a good alternative to the American Red Cross. The Salvation Army does MORE to help the homeless than all other "Charities" combined. I won't give a penny or a drop of blood to the Red Cross,
Old 01-21-2004, 05:15 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

MURPH -

This is a view shared by many!

My father, during WWII learned this the hard way, like many others I suspect!!

VERITAS
Old 01-21-2004, 05:19 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Salvation Army

During my rain as supriem Fireman, I have seen both Salvation Army and Red Cross in action.
My experiance with the Red Cross is that in any big problem they will be there, BUT and a very large BUT at that, it will cost you. Some how, some way, they want what it cost them to help back to the Red Cross, From City, State or federal or individual, They want it back.
Now the Salvation Army will not always be there at big or small problems, BUT, if they are there it wont cost you anything and what you get is better.

Here is just a small example.
At a very large Fire, the Red cross and Salvation Army were called, Both showed up and set up there trailers.
The Red Cross had Sandwitches and coffee, and soda for sale. The Red Cross had Sandwitches and coffee and soda for free, Right next to each other.

Blood drives at large disasters is a big thorn in my side, Please don't stop giving blood BUT, Give it to the Hospital or at the Hospital in someones name.
The Red cross charges the hospitals big $ for the blood you donated and the person who gets the blood ends up paying 1,000$ or more for blood you gave,
Yes, the Red Cross has to pay for all the stuff it takes to colect your free blood and they are there when you need them, but remember, it will cost you.

Ron
Old 01-21-2004, 05:43 AM

I think all charities have those who will skim off the top and the trickle down affect leaves very little left for those who are in need. I'm always a skeptic when it comes to charities.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Hardcore

I saw a report on the donation and it is not intended to fund future disaster relief. Mrs. Kroc wants the money used to build facilities across the country to help individuals and families in several regions of the country. After they are constructed, the balance will be held in an account to generate income to run those centers.

This will enable the Salvation Army to have facilities in more communities allowing them to respond more efficiently.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:35 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

sfga6970 -

Thanks for the clarification! I know from personal experience that Sallies helps! Whereas, during the same personal crisis, the "Big Red Double Cross" told my family to take a hike, unless of course, we were ever again in a position to donate anew!

During this same troubling time frame, the United Way too, was quick to inform me that they were not a charity, but rather a profitable fund-raising organization!

Hell, even a new truck stop that I helped (volunteer) to get on it's feet, donated $5000 to this Red Cross. The gal (in my opinion) looked disgusted over the mere "Five Grand" being donated. Shortly thereafter, there was one helluva flap over donated moneys not getting to where they were intended, causing more than one resignation as I recall?

I had in the past donated to both the Red Cross and United Way, the key words here being - IN THE PAST! I can not tell others what to do, nor would I if I could, but my money is on the Salvation Army!! (AMEN)

VERITAS
Old 01-21-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Hardcore

I never donate to the Red Cross. I remember stories from my father, a WWII combat vet with the 82nd. He told me that the Red Cross and the Salvation Army had coffee and doughnut trucks set up next to each other as he got off the troop transport in NY and there was a line in front of the SA wagon and no one in front of the Red Cross one.

I trusted my father to be truthfull and believed him. The confirmation came when I was medevaced to the Field Hospital near Tan Son Nhut and the Red Cross charged me for a razor that was stamped "donated by Gillette".

I almost lost a job once because I refused to donate during a fund drive. The boss's wife was a volunteer for the ARC and he required all employees to donate. I didn't and he called me on the carpet. After I explained my views and reasons he backed off.