The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2004, 10:56 PM

Question Why???

Can someone, anyone please explain something to me?

I am fairly young, just turned 40 this year but still see myself as a 20-something. I have been very fortunate in that none of my brothers, sisters, aunts uncles, parents, nor grandparents ever died in war. And yet when I watch or read anything about WWII or Viet Nam I am immediately reduced to a bucket of tears. These events always effect me deeply and profoundly.

Several years ago I visited The Wall in DC. It was right after it opened. I had to sit down on the grass because my knees felt so weak. To see ALL those names and KNOW that they were people with families, and lives and dreams. It felt as if my heart were being ripped from my chest.

I wasn't there, yes I was in Japan during Viet Nam. But I was a child and my parents did their best to protect us from the news. But I do still remember the effect it had on my family. My sisters had friends who fought, were wounded and some died. But I was too young to really understand what was happening. But now that I'm older, I find that this is ...it's so difficult to describe. Even years later, late 1970s, when my sister's husband was sent remote to Thailand, I remember how somber the family became. It was like they were sending him straight into battle. He was an AF typist and no where near any fighting, but the concern was still in my dad's face.

I just watched that Mel Gibson movie, "We Were Soldiers". At the end I found myself crying, not just the simple tearing of the eyes that happens with most movies, but gasping, sobbing tears.

I can't even begin to imagine how those of you who lived through this tragedy, feel. My heart breaks for each of you. And I thank God that you are here. I thank him that you are able to be there with your families and friends. And how much they would hurt inside if you were not. My heart breaks for those who lost someone so close. I cannot begin to feel their pain, but I can truly send love and hope that their heart may someday heal enough that they can carry on with their lives.

For the families of those 500+ that have died in this war, May God hold you close to his heart and comfort your fears. I know it could easily be me in your shoes for my husband is also a Navy man who would go should his country call.
But for the grace of God go I.

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2004, 11:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post You Cry Because!

War is terrible!
War is evil!
War is Bad!

And

You are a sensitive caring individual. More of us should shed a tear!

Keith
Old 01-17-2004, 11:40 PM

And those that die fighting those wars are humans not statistics.

Thanks Keith.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 01-17-2004, 11:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default BECAUSE

you're a kind, sensitive person who cares about your fellow Americans that have paid the ultimate price for their country, and the one's that are willing to if need be.

THANK YOU
Old 01-18-2004, 07:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

DL , I volunterred cause I was convinced I would be fighting on the coast of Ca if I didn't . I am haunted by the dead. I am honored to have served with the best of my generation and morn the dead of today
Old 01-18-2004, 08:43 PM

I was convinced that if I did not fight in Vietnam, my son would have to fight over there when he grew up. We were to stop the spread to communism once and for all in Asia. Did we do that ?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:06 PM

I enlisted because in the midwest in the 60's the military was considered a very honorable and very respected tradition in many families. In my family, you considered a military career from an early age. I had my rebellious streak in my teens, as most do, and I like to say that the day I enlisted, I wen't from being "that bum that will never be anything" to "my son."

I volunteered for Vietnam because it was my job to go and do what I was trained to do (on paper) troop and cargo movements, combat mobility, heavy transport line ops. Once there, I heard that there was an opening at Tuy Hoa, working with the Charlie Rangers, Air Cav, and a detachment of ROKs.

Believe it or not, I enjoyed it. I learned a lot from the guys there who took a young Air Force guy under their wing when I needed it. We got along well, once I trained them to understand that we don't do reville and we don't eat C Rats hung from a string in hot water.

Jake
Old 01-27-2004, 09:25 PM

So Jake,
you had an overall good experience, as did I. I've often said my years in the AF were the most fun I ever hated. Back then I hated getting up at the crack of dawn, but I loved to be on the flightline as the sun came up and listening to the sounds of the world waking up.
I hated the negative 0 windchills and de-icing airplanes in the middle of the night, but I loved the vision of a lamp post encased in solid ice from the freezing rain.
I hated the 12 hour shifts and no days off for the MRIs, but I will always cherish the night several of the GIs hung out in my office during the wee hours of the morning, laughing and playing cards and getting giddy from our lack of sleep.
I loved being godmother to my new recruits as they began their careers, I hated the thought that but for the grace of God the planes shot down Iraq could have held one of my boys.
I may not have been to war, but I too have lost close friends during peacetime accidents and tragedies, I would never trade the pain in my heart for the emptiness of never having met and befriended a single one. Because of those years, I feel as if I have a tenuous kinship with anyone who served their country. From George Washington to Colin Powell, to the next generation's heros. We are all linked, and like a chain we are only as strong as the strongest link. If we hold fast the chain can never be broken.
Yes, I care. I've been very fortunate to have grown up in a military family, served my own time for my country, and raised another generation of military brats.
I am truly proud to call myself an American Patriot.

The Dragon Lady
President Ronald Reagan
Old 01-28-2004, 07:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Dragon Lady,

Somehow missed this before. I thank Jake, and welcome him to the site, for bringing it back.

Mrs. Lady, I appreciate so much your feelings for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. It helps much to put it in this perspective:

THANK GOD WE HAVE PEOPLE LIKE THAT, WHO SACRIFICE ALL, THAT WE REMAIN FREE AND SAFE.

We all have to die someday, (well, everyone but me). Just think how most of us will die. From age, disease, accidents. Since we all have to die, how wonderful it is to die for your fellow man and country. How honorable a death. This also should be a reason that we each make the most of life, especially those that these people died for. Doing so will honor their death that much more. To not.......is the utimate slap in their faces.

Morn for these hero's but live your life as to make them proud.

Packo

(Hope this makes sense)

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-28-2004, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

DL :

Thanks for the eloquent post. Mel Gibson's movie was by far the best of some very bad movies about Vietnam. It shows in no uncertain terms that the politicians who micro-managed the war ( may they all burn in Hell !! ), had absolutely no intention of "winning it", how ever you want to "spin" that term. We should never forget how we got in and out of it. I have conversations with my wife every week about it. It is "over" she says. I say it is never "over" in my mind. It plays 24/7 on a giant screen with special effects when I am awake and asleep. It was a "war", she says. And I say I was drafted and forced to go fight against people I didn't hate, and kill them...That is not my idea of a "war". That is my idea of "the perfect horror movie." I have survivors's guilt, PTSD, and guilt for even going in the first place. It has affected an enormous amount of Americans, not to mention South East Asians...It just never freaking ends...

Thanks again and Welcome Home to all !!!

Larry