The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2002, 08:17 AM

Unhappy How Old Is Grandma?

How Old Is Grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end -- it will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.

The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools,the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born, before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill. There was no radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens.

Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air, and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

Your Grandfather and I got married first - - and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'- and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy. Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends -- not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his bra ins out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 & 10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel. And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day, "grass" was mowed, "coke" was a cold drink, "pot" was something your mother cooked in, and "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby. "

"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office, "chip" meant a piece of wood, "hardware" was found in a hardware store, and "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap ..... and how old do you think I am ???.....

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This Woman would be only 58 years old
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2002, 09:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post We had this post up on the . . .

We had this post up on veterans.com.
Andy and I had a discussion about Birdseye and Frozen foods, we had a Big Birdseye frozen food plant Walla Walla, WA.

Birdseye starting producing frozen food in March 6, 1930.
Right next to Andy in Springfield, Mass.

Radar was used in WW II by England in 1940 and earlier.

penicillin was invented in 1928 and in common use by 1930 on a regular basis. It was used through out WW II for battle wounds.

Refrigerated air conditioning was being massed produced and sold in 1938 by Philco.

Farnsworth invented TV in Sept. 7, 1927.

I was raised in the sticks of Oregon. No telephone until I ten, didn't see a TV until I was 11, But many of these inventions though not common to the low income and lower middle class were around from the early 30's and on. Grand Ma would be about 73 +.

The main idea that much of our culture has gone through a great technological change as well as tremendous changes in societies attitudes is well taken. I'll be 57 in a few weeks and this post really makes me feel old. But, they need to get their facts squared away. Especially with penicillin and frozen foods.

Keith
Old 08-14-2002, 09:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Andy Was There?

I think Andy was there when they sold the first Birdseye in Springfield, Mass. Right there holding his mother's hand.

Keith
Old 08-14-2002, 09:07 AM

Thanks for getting the facts straight. Maybe the age numbers should be reversed. .... 58 to 85

Old 08-14-2002, 09:14 AM

Maybe the original list was published several years ago. It could account for the descrepencies (sp).

Oh and Keith, you are really old.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking You know who is really OLD

Sparrow is really old! She told me so.

Keith

I still love ya, the Devil made do it.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:00 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Another

Another one that blows me away is air conditioning, invented in 1902. Just thing of all those kings and queen, other's who were so very rich, had to put up with all that heat. (Today is our third day in a row where the temp is over 90 and the humidity is over 80.)

Keith, frozen foods? Mom was a traditional house wife. We ate frozen meals maybe twice before I joined the service. However a good friend's mother, who belonged to all those clubs, she served TV dinners mosted ever time I stayed for dinner.

You make a good point, this is accurate for Grandma, if she is 73 or 74 and sure shows how our society has "progressed". The word hedonism comes to mind.

Stay healthy,
Andy