The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2004, 05:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Dan, you've always known why I was a bit on the crazy side. Gotta love those ol' ancestors.... I think bucktet o' shit translates into Haggas.

The reason the Scots and Irish are so bad is that we are mostly all related. The basic Scot, without Pic blood, is Gallic/Celt. Pretty much same same Irish, except for those the English tried to breed out.....same same Scots. The Romans put a wall up after figgurin' out they couldn't beat the Scots. Even the legions feared the northern crazies. The English had big problems there too. Finally guessed that it was easier to make friends then keep losing armies.

Frisco,

Dan's wife has cassettes of all those songs. I've heard Sean OFarrell at his house and live at the "Black Rose" IRA PUB in Boston. Great music. Look up IRISH LASS in the dictionary and Dan's lovely wife is pictured there. While in the Black Rose I looked around and there were all kinds of flags. American, Irish, Scot......no Union Jack. I asked loudly, after a few Guiness Stouts on draught, "Hey, where's the Union Jack?" Interesting reactions.

McPacko

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2004, 06:02 AM

Default Re: THAT'S A TRUE STORY, DAN

Quote:
Originally posted by frisco-kid "Being a bad ass paratrooper, I never had a knife." We had the M-16 that would accommodate a bayonet, but never had one the whole time there. Don't think I would have carried it anyway.

"THE RISING OF THE MOON"

This is an IRISH rebel song. I grew up on Irish music, especially the old Rebel Songs. My mother's Da, Thomas Conor O'Driscoll, played the tin whistle and entertained us kids for hours. Still love it. I have quite a collection of it. This song is about the 1898 Uprising.

"Well, tell me Sean O'Farrell, tell me why you hurry so?"
"Hush mo bhuachaill, hush and listen," and his face was all aglow.
"I bear orders from the captain, get you ready quick and soon
With your pike upon your shoulder for the rising of the moon."

"Well, tell me Sean O'Farrell, where the gatherin' is to be?"
"Near the old spot by the river, right well known to you and me."
"One more thing, the signal token. Whistle up the marching tune
For our pikes must be together by the rising of the moon."

Out from many a mud walled cabin, eyes were lookin' through the night.
Many a manly heart was throbin' for the blessed morning light.
Rumors ran along the valley like a banshee's mournful croon,
And a thousand pikes were flashin' by the rising of the moon.

All along the shinin' river one black mass of men were seen,
And above them in the night wind floated our immortal green.
Death to every foe and traitor. Onward, strike the marchin' tune.
And "Hurrah me boys for freedom, 'tis the rising of the moon!"

Well they fought for dear old Ireland, and full bitter was their fate.
Oh, what glorious pride and sorrow fills the name of ninety-eight.
But thank God e'en now are beating hearts in mankind's burning noon,
Who will follow in their footsteps at the rising of the moon.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:17 AM

Tom, Frisco kid,

Thanks for publishing the lyrics to Risn of the moon. Great song! I knew it was Irish, I just didn't have any Robbie Burns to quote! My wife is 100% Irish, ( O'Shaughnessy, coal miners and firemen ) so I've been educated in all things Irish. The number one thing is there's a reason the sun never sets on the British empire. You can't trust the bastrds in the dark! She LOVES the Brits.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by pighmpr Tommy,
I knew you came from crazy stock! How do you say "What the fock" in Arabic? Being a bad ass paratrooper, I never had a knife. I just figgured I'd bite they little heads off and nibble on they tiny feet. Fortunately never had to find out. Part of my education I don't mind missing.
Well as my Scottish grandmother told me on her death bed,
" Laddie, If you've got to eat a bucket of sh!t, theres no sense nibbling at it! I assume that must have been the operating paradigm in this case.

"And a thousand pikes were flashing by the risin' of the moon."
Sounds like your grandma might have done time in the 101st. You forget that my mom sent me some hunting knives to pass out and have--I'm sorry I missed you, I guess. Did they give you a .45?
But they gave me an Army issue survival knife when they gave us a whole new issue in Recondo School--this was more stuff they gave me to help better the lives of the Vietnamese.
You can see yr boy sporting it at http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1

We called this a Long Range toothpick, no error. I only used it for opening LRRP rations, oh yes, well sorta. Firearms are more fun and easier to use, especially the suppressed ones, trust me on this but Dan--not eveyrone has to carry belts and belts of it--tel your ol buddy now--that was just showing off, wsn't it? You were the type that must have believed in the old saying: You never outgrow your need for ammo!
Aye I can see you were your Grannies true grandson, so I can

Love to eat those, mousies, mousies what I love to eat
Love to bite they little heads, nibble on they tiny feet
We must read the same books.
Stay good all--its Ho! for Whiskeytown and some ElToro sailing
Ta
James
Old 06-01-2004, 05:02 AM

Hi James,
Actually, I did have a small pocket knife that was my Dads' when he was a boy scout. Not much good in a fight, but alot more handy for routine uses.
I never got a .45. I was asked if I wanted one, but I figured if I needed it, it was too late. I was a lousy shot with one anyway. As you'll recall, the countryside was'nt littered with big barns so there were'nt any real targets for me! I was a firm believer in carying as much ammo as I, my A.G., and bearers could bear. The only time I came close to running out was that fight on the road.
Hope your sail was good and the weather fair.

later,

Dan
Old 06-01-2004, 04:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking DAN

I was the same way with a .45. I couldn't hit a phone booth if I was in it. In AIT [did you go to Ft. Gordon?] we just had to shoot it for familiarization and know how to field strip it. The 11Cs had to qualify with it.

Had a guy in my platoon offer me his when he DEROSd but, like you, I turned it down. Didn't want the extra weight. Besides, if they were close enough for ME to hit 'em with a .45 I'd rather have an E-tool. It'd been more effective .
Old 06-01-2004, 06:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Before Sid fixed my new one I agree. Thought the only way I would hurt anyone with a 45 is if they put a bayonette lug on it.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by pighmpr Hi James,
I never got a .45. I was asked if I wanted one, but I figured if I needed it, it was too late. I was a lousy shot with one anyway. As you'll recall, the countryside was'nt littered with big barns so there were'nt any real targets for me! I was a firm believer in carying as much ammo as I, my A.G., and bearers could bear. The only time I came close to running out was that fight on the road.
Hope your sail was good and the weather fair.

later,

Dan
Dan
.45s!!! I loved them I slept with mine all the time. It was my "company"sidearm, I had a snubnosed Charter Arms .38 I used for a "going to town" gun. It was a sure 'nough hog but a real classic, that thing would fire under bout any condition. On most of my lrrp patrols I carried one , an M2 usually (occasionally an M16, and an M 79 with the stock cut off and the sights removed (just used it for marking smoke
I was glad I carried the.45 I actually used it in combat once but there wasn't much aiming--just walked up to an NVA (or VC--I couldn't tell) that was tussling with my best pal, stuck it in his side and emptied it in the sombitch. end of storytat least for the NVA although that tale continued on quite some way after that as regards yours truly and it included some running
I made one good shot with that '79 too

Dan,carrying that big ol "60 and all, and all those belts--tell your old war buddy true now--you were doing that just to show off, weren't you?

I'm glad I'm Scotch English, ruling the world for centuries wasn't easy, but I guess someone had to do it and might as well be the good looking ones

James

PS here's what I was sailing, ElToro's, this guy (my best friends son) won 2d