The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2003, 05:33 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default KIA or Killed by accident

Is there any difference as to the benifites for someone who gets KIA or had an accident and died. The reason I bring this up is in light of the two 101 chopers that colided and everyone was killed. Some say they ran into each other and some say ground fire?
When I was in VN we were walking somewhere slowly and one guy tripped and have ass fell, in doing so he discharged his weapon killing the guy in front of him. Im sure this was not the first time this ever happened. Anyway, the LT said to call medi-vac and laydown fire in that direction, Huuua? Then he said to call mortors on that tree, We did this and when the LT made out his After action report, he put sp4 johnson KIA/snipper.
Who was this for? his parents, benifits? what.

Also, the guy that did it got a transfer to another unit.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2003, 05:59 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Difference is reporting

in reporting, If you look at a list of the KIA for the wall you will see a note something like KIA - G (ground) or KIA - A (air) Then there will be a letter after G or A that denotes type of death C (combat). KIA - GC would be ground combat. I don't believe there is anything to do with benefits for survivors, just record keeping.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I would have done it for the parents though I never had any one killed by accident. It was on purpose
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:55 PM

Default No Difference

There is no difference in the benefits paid. Benefits are paid for anyone who dies while on Active Duty as long as the death is considered in Line of Duty. Line of Duty determinations have nothing to do with whether or not you were performing official military duties. They are generally made to determine if the death/injury was a result of your own actions. Negative Line of Duty determinations are generally made in the cases of "Willful Misconduct". An example would be someone wrapping their car around a tree while driving drunk. If the driver is drunk, it is Line of Duty No. If there is a passenger and he's drunk, it is Line of Duty Yes