Stripes UK
published: January 08, 2013

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

Hello Military Community,

Yesterday, I was talking to a veteran and he asked me if the Department of Veterans Affairs pays for the assistance of a tutor. I wasn’t 100 percent positive at the time and told him I would check on it and get back to him. I am happy to say – yes.

Tutorial assistance is available if you’re receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or higher rate and have a deficiency in a subject that makes tutoring necessary. You can be reimbursed up to $100 per month, up to a maximum of $1200 and there is NO entitlement charge for the first $600 under the Montgomery GI Bill (chapters 30 or 1606), Post-9/11 GI Bill or Dependents Educational Assistance Program.

All of the following criteria must be met for a student to be eligible for tutorial assistance:

The student must be in a post-secondary program at ½ time or more. For Chapter 33, rate of pursuit must be “at least 50 percent.”

* The student must have a deficiency in a course that is part of his/her approved program.
* The student must be enrolled in the course during the quarter, semester, or term in which the tutoring is received for the course. Tutoring may NOT occur between quarters or semesters.
* The student, tutor and certifying official must complete an application and enrollment certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t).

The application may be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months.

The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified.

When a certifying official signs an application and enrollment certification for Individual Tutorial Assistance, the applicant certifies that:

Tutoring is essential to correct a deficiency – a letter from the course instructor should be put in the students VA file stating that the student is deficient in the course and that individual tutoring is required to correct the deficiency.

The tutor meets the college’s qualifications – ideally; the school maintains a list of approved tutors. The list should indicate the subjects a tutor is qualified to tutor and the hourly charge. Students should be assigned a tutor from the approved list. A tutor may not be a close relative of the student.

The charges do NOT exceed the usual charges for tutoring.

To apply for tutorial assistance on form 22-1990t, go to www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1990t-ARE.pdf.

Remember to have your school certifying official and tutor sign the form. When the form is completed, mail it to the VA Regional Processing Office that serves the state in which your school is located.

Contact information can be found at gibill.va.gov/contact/regional_offices/index.html.

For more information you can go to gibill.va.gov/resources/education_resources/programs/tutorial_assistance_program.html.

I hope this helps and best of luck on your new semester of classes.

Best wishes from my family to yours,
Kim Suchek

If you have any questions or concerns or would like to share a story or situation, contact me at Kim@MilitaryResourceBooks.com and visit my website for updated information and other resources not listed in my book.

Tags: RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, Education, Base Info
Related Content:

How much for a tutor?

by: Kim Suchek
Stripes UK
published:

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

Hello Military Community,

Yesterday, I was talking to a veteran and he asked me if the Department of Veterans Affairs pays for the assistance of a tutor. I wasn’t 100 percent positive at the time and told him I would check on it and get back to him. I am happy to say – yes.

Tutorial assistance is available if you’re receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or higher rate and have a deficiency in a subject that makes tutoring necessary. You can be reimbursed up to $100 per month, up to a maximum of $1200 and there is NO entitlement charge for the first $600 under the Montgomery GI Bill (chapters 30 or 1606), Post-9/11 GI Bill or Dependents Educational Assistance Program.

All of the following criteria must be met for a student to be eligible for tutorial assistance:

The student must be in a post-secondary program at ½ time or more. For Chapter 33, rate of pursuit must be “at least 50 percent.”

* The student must have a deficiency in a course that is part of his/her approved program.
* The student must be enrolled in the course during the quarter, semester, or term in which the tutoring is received for the course. Tutoring may NOT occur between quarters or semesters.
* The student, tutor and certifying official must complete an application and enrollment certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t).

The application may be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months.

The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified.

When a certifying official signs an application and enrollment certification for Individual Tutorial Assistance, the applicant certifies that:

Tutoring is essential to correct a deficiency – a letter from the course instructor should be put in the students VA file stating that the student is deficient in the course and that individual tutoring is required to correct the deficiency.

The tutor meets the college’s qualifications – ideally; the school maintains a list of approved tutors. The list should indicate the subjects a tutor is qualified to tutor and the hourly charge. Students should be assigned a tutor from the approved list. A tutor may not be a close relative of the student.

The charges do NOT exceed the usual charges for tutoring.

To apply for tutorial assistance on form 22-1990t, go to www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1990t-ARE.pdf.

Remember to have your school certifying official and tutor sign the form. When the form is completed, mail it to the VA Regional Processing Office that serves the state in which your school is located.

Contact information can be found at gibill.va.gov/contact/regional_offices/index.html.

For more information you can go to gibill.va.gov/resources/education_resources/programs/tutorial_assistance_program.html.

I hope this helps and best of luck on your new semester of classes.

Best wishes from my family to yours,
Kim Suchek

If you have any questions or concerns or would like to share a story or situation, contact me at Kim@MilitaryResourceBooks.com and visit my website for updated information and other resources not listed in my book.

Tags: RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, Education, Base Info
Related Content:

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links