Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2002, 12:36 PM

Talking Emeril in the Army?

Jeez, how things have changed.

U.S. Army Takes Silver in Culinary World Cup
by Arthur McQueen
Army News Service
November 25, 2002

LUXEMBOURG -- The U.S. Army Culinary Arts Team, composed of Army chefs from around the world, took the overall silver medal in the quadrennial Culinary World Cup Nov. 21 after a hair-raising finish that kept every team member on edge.

The competition is divided into hot kitchen (worth 60 percent) and cold kitchen (worth 40 percent) categories. Within each category, 36 to 40 points qualifies for gold, 32-35.999 points for silver, and 28-31.999 for bronze.

After four of the five grueling days, the Swiss and German military teams looked poised to win, having completed both events, and earning gold in each. The U.S. team members went into their cold kitchen phase with what was described to them as a "very high silver" in the hot kitchen category, and knew they had to excel.

Staff Sgt. Rene Marquis of Fort Lee, Va., explained: "We compete against a standard, and that standard is absolute perfection."

In a 25-hour marathon effort, the team prepared and finished seven different three-course meals, impeccably displayed on the required white plates; a chocolate centerpiece over 3 feet high; and four table pieces and menu frames all made out of sugar.

Every item augmented the theme of Mardi Gras, chosen in a group meeting according to Team Manager Chief Warrant Officer Travis W. Smith because "It's such a festive occasion, and food is so important in New Orleans. There are good ingredients to work with, and a variety of styles."

The enemy facing the team was time. A seemingly insignificant piece of lace-like fan decoration intended for a dessert entry had been left behind. As the clock ticked on toward the 10 a.m. deadline for modifying and perfecting the table, the team members maintained their cool, removing minute fingerprints from plates, correcting lighting, applying final dabs of gelatin, and adjusting the soft jazz music from CD player under the table.

The fan arrived at 9:57 a.m. After checking it for breakage, Master Sgt. Mark Warren lifted the delicate piece onto the plate with a pair of dentist picks. His hands never quivered, and the clutch performance, the last of many performed by different members of the team, drew a round of polite applause. The team then packed up, as they were not allowed to be in the same room as the judges.

The suspense lasted until the next morning at the multilingual award ceremony. The final overall scores were: Switzerland 494.098 points, USA 493.177, and Germany 490.268.

"I am very satisfied," Smith said. "I couldn't have asked for a better team."

The members of the 2002 U.S. Army Culinary Arts Team are:

Sgt. 1st Class Willie Meeks, Team Captain, Fort Bragg, N.C. Master Sgt. Mark Warren, Heidelberg, Germany Sgt. 1st Class Ben Tesoro, Camp Hovey, Korea Staff Sgt. Rene Marquis, Ft. Lee, Va. Spc. Adam Lang, Fort Bragg, N.C. Spc. Scott Graves, Heidelberg, Germany

Team support included:

Chief Warrant Officer Travis W. Smith, Team Manager, Fort Lee, Va. Chief Warrant Officer James Longstaff, Wiesbaden, Germany Sgt. 1st Class David Russ, Fort Bragg, N.C. Staff Sgt. Jesus Camacho, Fort Drum, N.Y. Sgt. Jason Rine, Heidelberg, Germany
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2002, 12:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Where were they when I was in?

Seriously, I didn't think Army Food was all that bad. I even liked C-Rations and the rest of the guys thought I was crazy. My wife says I'm easy to cook for. She said, "you lack good taste." and I said, "Dear, what about you?" She said, "That is one exception to the rule." End of conversation.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote