The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2003, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Post State Of The Union - My Opinion, What's Yours

The State of the Union Address last night reminded me more of the ?Little Big Horn?, than a presentation of what in the hell was going on in the world!?

?Indians and Cowboys?, is the closest description that came to my mind as I watched the President attempting to lay out what he saw as the pressing needs of the United States in the years to come. You could have drawn a line right down the center of the room - ?Night On One Side, Day On The Other!? It was almost as if two opposite worlds had collided, and both of these realities were so far removed from each other as to make them almost completely alien in nature and purpose! (A rehearsal for 2004 no doubt?)

Had the President laid golden eggs up there behind that lectern, the Liberal side of the room would have yawned and probably fallen asleep, and unless I miss my guess, a couple of liberals were doing just that!? ?Either that, or they croaked and nobody noticed!!?

As for the other side of the aisle, I think that had somebody passed gas, they would have all risen to their feet and applaud like the sauced-up spectators at a bull fight or a glassy-eyed Roman at a lion feast in yon Coliseum!!

All in all, the President came across as presidential, but there were no surprises, pleasant or otherwise! The usual threats to aggressors, the promises (and there were many) over the economy, the stock market, the elderly etc! And of course, the accolades (well deserved) for our armed forces! The same armed forces that will soon be asked to lay it all on the line in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, or is that North Korea?

And where, pray tell. are all of these people that Rangel wants to draft going to train or be stationed, as many of our once proud military bases have been closed down or stripped to the bone?! Someone, I guess, has to pay for all of those billions that the President is going to send to Africa by his own admission!

I am puzzled, however, as our President promised to keep Social Security and Medicare solvent, send money to the ?Dark Continent?, rebuild Iraq after the coming fray, and support all of our allies, while cutting taxes at the same time! Outside of running a massive deficit, I can not see how this can be done, but then I ain?t no economist, nor am I a diplomat!

I did like the President?s barbs, in that if the United Nations sticks it?s tail between it?s legs again, this time as concerns Iraq, we and our (few real) allies will handle the situation ourselves! ?I am again concerned though about all of our returning veterans!?

Will cuts be made in their entitlements to help pay for all of this (promised) foreign aid to countries who are now turning their back on us as concerns Iraq? Or will our honorable returning warriors be forced to pay for the deficit that was run up by the war they just won, by reducing the benefits that they earned through their blood, sweat and tears!?

The bottom line, at least as I see it is:

?It is a little late to engage in the partisan politics that I witnessed last night. You can bet your ass that Saddam Hussein was glued to the tube (CNN) last night, watching the ?State of the Union Address!? He was no doubt looking for weaknesses and division amidst the Senators and Congressmen planted down in the Peanut Gallery! And every time that only one side stood to applaud (and that was half of the presentation), Hussein must have had an orgasm!

The look on the faces of some in Congress was one of ?Who Gives a Shit?, and this too had to please that ?Slimy Babylonian Bastard (Hussein)" no end! And did not this partisan apathy displayed by some in Congress give aid and comfort to the enemies of mankind?

?We Are At War? - like it or not, and no matter how you feel personally about the man (Bush), or his party, we must remain partisan in the fact that we are all Americans! And these are our kids who will be risking their lives to protect us all - Liberal and Conservative alike!

I feel that many promises were made last night that can not possibly be kept, but the pledge to our armed forces not only can be kept, - ?IT MUST BE KEPT!!?

These kids in uniform are ?AMERICA?S FINEST? and ?All Of Our Troopers? should return home from the Middle East to cheers, and not jeers, as was too often the case during the War in Vietnam!! And at least with all of the obvious disagreement among the two factions of Congress last night, they all (almost unanimously) agreed and applauded when Americas fighting men and women were saluted by our President! I don?t think that they (Congress) would have dared to do otherwise, with the Joint Chiefs of Staff seated directly in the front row!

Unlike a few in Congress, these guys (the Joint Chiefs) don?t play games, take no shit, and mean what they say!! And any one of the Joint Chiefs that I saw last night in Congress, would genuinely love to be locked in a sealed room with ?Slippery Saddam? for a few minutes!!

Hussein, on the other hand, would painfully learn that it ain?t nice to screw around with Uncle Sam!!

VERITAS
Old 01-29-2003, 09:58 AM

Hardcore,

The State of the Union is one sided. He/she can promise the moon but its the delivery that counts. The House and Senate will rip his plans to shreds.

If you recall he gave everybody what they wanted but that doesn't mean it will pass. He told people what they want to hear but that doesn't mean a thing!!

Don't worry about Iraq it's toast. It's too late to bring back the troops. North Korea won't do anything that China doesn't want them to do. China can clean that mess up quicker than anyone.
They will not let those mice next door build nukes which could stray into their backyard - this isn't over yet.

Russia and France will come on board. Germany I don't know. The Japanese will be watching NK. It's the surrounding Arabic Nation's that are the ones who have to make a choice.

I would have wished the President would have said;

1. We will come in surround your cities and restrict your movements.

a. We will leave once we have your leaders either in one piece or however you want to deliver them. And then try them for crimes against humanity (public trial).

2. We don't want to change your religious ideals just your
leadership.

3. We don't want your oil - but just want to make sure the money goes where it suppose to go and not into weapons of mass destruction.

If I could have heard something like that I would feel a little better.

4. We are going to cut Federal Taxes - yea right! All they will do is tack it onto something else and they will get the money right back.

5. For years I've wondered why they tax our soldiers! That's double taxation. Our taxes are paid into the Feds who in turn pay the troops - but why are the troops taxed? I never thought that was right.

I could go on and on but this is enough for others to build on or take exception.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

FRIEND BOATS -

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!

Brilliantly put brother! I could not agree with you more!!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 12:42 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Boats...

Hope the politicos and others of The Public Sector don't pick-up on your #5 (re. "That's double taxation"), since they might decree themselves a QUITE GENEROUS (to 0) TAX CUT. After all, they too are paid solely from The People's Taxes. Plus, I'll bet they would still tax all Soldiers to-boot.

Regardless HARDCORE, I took some consolation from The President's Speech, in that apparently it will no longer be acceptable for our war efforts to be sabotaged by both America's naive Democrats/Liberals and the other Chamberlain types of The UN. I got the impression that this REAL(for-a-change) Commander-In-Chief actually intends winning,...and not as The Leftists of America and the other power and control freaks of United Nations would prefer. Such being to asininely and self/America-defeatingly drag-things-out. Go figure.

Neil

P.S. HARDCORE,
Believe your analogy of my alma mater at: "The Little Bighorn" inappropriate,...since way-back-when "They" didn't have The 1st Air Cav and other air power backing-them-up.
It must be believed that nowadays (ANYWHERE & ANYPLACE),..."Those GarryOwen Boys" (some Vietnam Combat Reporter's quote) will just kick-ass and take names. GUARANTEED!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Recon, me old buddy -

Believe it or not, the connection between the 'Big Horn' and the '7th' didn't even cross my mind when I, penned the piece? But your analogy was, as usual, poignant and flawless!!

Also, the men of the 7th Cavalry were just that - 'MEN!' Unfortunately, the same can not be said about each and every political type parading upon the old camp grounds these days, now can it?!

'HONEST'