The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2003, 06:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default tomatoes, purple martins, and the War be damned...

Haven't watched any War in 4 days...feel better....planted my garden this afternoon...Big Boy tomatoes, sweet banana peppers, giant bell peppers, and cucumbers....my purple martins are back...

However...my annual battle with sparrows, bermuda grass, and ants has begun in earnest. We have lived here 14 years. I have had purple martins almost every year. About 4 years ago a neighbor 3 houses down put up guords and got most of them. I fight the little bas*ard sparrows every year in the martin house. It has about 12 slots. They manage to fill up about half of them. I have taken their nests out 5 times, and they still will not give up.
They are even in the damned bluebird houses !! As for the bermuda grass... go figure. I have had black plastic over my garden all winter. It is 2 or 3 thick in some places. The bermuda grass was still under it, pale, but alive....And ants...there is a place by our sink they come in. Have for 10+ years. I feed them Terro Ant Poison ( boric acid ). They disappear and come back.
Have had house treated for termites and it never bothered them...Must have happened 300 times. Oh well.... Spring is here ... Enjoy !

Larry
Old 04-15-2003, 08:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I noticed today My Tomatoes are starting to bloom I hope I get plenty of 'maters this year last year the blight killed them all I have been useing Sulphar on them and so far they are nice healthy plants hope you get lots of produce from your garden and keep up the war on them Ants...
Old 04-16-2003, 07:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Good plan Larry. We have spring about once a week but have a case of lingering winter mostly. I?m psyching up to go do some shock and awe Jihad on a new crop of weeds coming up and see if I can coax my lawn out of hibernation. I?ll plant some snow peas real soon now but the rest will have to wait until the yellow jacket wasps start coming around and start being a real pain in the butt, literally. Ouch!!!!!

Scamp
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking What's this!

Blooming Tomatoes, WE can't even plant them until Late May or Early June! The grass is beginning to grow the lawn needs to be mowed. Garden needs tilled. But it still gets below freezing at night. 50 - 65 degrees during the day and 30 - 40 degrees at night.

Blooming Tomatoes, I'm depressed

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

My computers fixed!! YEAH...and I planted flowers. No tomatoes this year Well maybe I can sneak some out there late? Course with the weather maybe its better to plant them late this year.
Or I'll convert one of the gers into a greenhouse *G*
Missed y'all...hows things?
Old 04-17-2003, 04:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hoyin...

welcome back...what is your connection to Mongolia ? Do you live in California ? Just wondering...Thanks.

larry
Old 04-21-2003, 09:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

My connection with Mongolia is that I studied its culture and history for years and actually met my husband during a historical society meeting where I would try to live like a Mongol (food, clothing, shelter). He actually knew about Scythians and their connection to Mongolia and Celts. I was impressed! Then this year I moved to Mongolia for 6 months to teach but due to war, the dzud and my husband basically worrying himself sick I had to return after only 2 months. Glad I did. I miss my students, the culture, lovely friends, gers, do NOT miss -40 degree weather, violence, third world poverty, and the lack of cheese and vegetables. Yes, I live in California. In a house. The gers are in the back yard. *G* And its *still* raining!!! This is as bad as Seattle! Its Keiths fault I know it!