The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2003, 04:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default a prayer request ..

A good friend of mine, Don Miller, from high school, ( Westside High, Memphis TN, class of '66 ) has terminal cancer. It is the aggressive form of prostate cancer and apparently only affects about 2% of those that have prostate cancer. He has about 10 months left. His son was killed in a car wreck in Dec. 1998. He has a twin brother, David. I talked on the phone to him yesterday for about 45 mins. He is taking Lupron and doing as well as can be expected. He is a Christian. Here is a web site with some of their story...
http://www.myfirstband.com/FirstBandCastells.html

They went to school with me at Westside the whole 12 years and were always in my home room in junior high and high school because we were in order by last names. Their father was in WW2 with Darby's Rangers. They are not veterans. I almost had a rock and roll career, believe it or don't. In the 7th or 8th grade, they needed a drummer and I mentioned that I could play ( not very well...) so I was in for all of 15 mins..funny how the road forks sometimes...Robert "Butch" Johnson ( a noted guitar player ) played with them, and Chris Ellis, the actor, was their manager.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 05-30-2003, 05:01 AM

you got it Larry.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:04 AM

Larry I'm sorry to hear about your friend. But let's try keep a positive attitude about this ordeal. I got cancer about six years ago so far its still in remission. I go in for another test in about three weeks. Each year I go through a panic thinking about what if!!??

I'm going to keep a positive attitude about your friend and hope that something like a miracle is in the wings. Doctor's aren't Gods so they can only do so much.

Cancer has been around a long time from what I've been told we all have it - its just our immune system keeps it in check. Then something breaks down and the cells begin to grow.

I regret your friends position it has to be tough on him and more on his family and friends. I've learned that survival depends on attitude and positive thinking - be that source for him for as long as you can. When you're alone then you can break down and cry your eyes out but when around the family and the sick its best to be upbeat and positive - it goes along way.

People helped me through this thing of mine and yet I helped them by being upbeat and positive. Its a mind over reality thing and for what its worth I hope your friend gets through this without much pain and suffering. God Bless

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 06:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Larry...prayers on the way, take care brother!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:04 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Post Larry

Boats said a lot that is very true. Like him, in '97 I came down with cancer, an unusual form. In '98 was told I was in my 4th stage, 6 months or less to live. A positive attitude helped, having people coming around saying, "Oh I'm so sorry" did not. A big key here is finding the right doctor. They are sure as hell not all the same.
Laughing is also a very positive thing, medically!
An aggressive cancer is large cell cancer. Bad news is it attacks very fast. But the good news is it can be cured, not just put into remission like the small cell type.
An old friend who is a police detective came down with an aggressive form of leukemia (blood cancer) about 16 months ago, he was sort of stabilize with a cocktail of chemotherapies then went to see the top guys in Boston. Derrill went back to work in April, he really isn't dead. (That man was ugly when he was hairless.)
Yes, sometimes people do die of cancer, there is no sugar coating that. But an aggressive cancer is no longer an automatic death sentence. The medical improvements in just the last few years are mind-blowing.
I'll pray for your home boy, no doubt in my mind that does help.
There are a lot of useful cancer sites on the computer, that might help him, the family and you understand what's going on and what some of the options are. Sometimes doctors just don't take the time to explain things and a lot of times patients don't ask the right questions. Remember anything written before 2000 is ancient history and probably no longer applies.
I've spent time with people who received the news that they have cancer, in the last few years. I'm no expert but it's surprising how many people know they are going to die of cancer and don't.
PM me if you'd like.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 05-30-2003, 08:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You got that right, Andy

Even most MD's are not up on the latest in cancer therapy. It is frequent that non-oncologists treating cancer are using modalities that have been replaced by better ones. This is one disease that it is best to go to someone that specializes in cancer, preferably associtated with a teaching institution. Memphis is a kind of Mecca for cancer research with St. Jude's being there. Most of these guys would never estimate the amount of time the patient has left.

Larry, your buddy has prayers on their way.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 06_us_pow.gif (24.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-30-2003, 08:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default My experience..

with this subject is limited. None of my close family and only one friend have had to deal with this. He is the second person I have known with "terminal" cancer. The first was a friend at work about 10 years ago with a brain tumor. He lived about 6 months after the diagnosis and operation. They couldn't get it all. I have a lot of friends, most at work, and relatives ( my father had cancer of the jaw in the 1970s..tobacco.. ) who have had cancer, most survived and a few didn't...In talking to him, it seems it has spread to his bones. I don't know if that is reversible or not. I was uneasy with asking too many questions. He mentioned a PSA reading of 115 when they found it. I am going to see him next week. As I get more info, I will let you know. He has a good attitude. I will relay what you have said. Many thanks for all the thoughts and prayers !!

Larry
Old 05-30-2003, 10:00 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

WhatBoats, Andy, And Cav said...

My bro is a walking testimony to all of the above....

Encourage your heart andthe heart of your friend...and take one day at a time...Sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 05-30-2003, 10:04 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Larry

There are words of wisdom here from those who have walked the walk. I can only add this, It may be modified to fit your friend, These words have helped me in a couple of time when I thought there was going to be no tomorrow. " I AM AN AMERICAN FIGHTING MAN, I WILL NEVER SURRENDER OF MY OWN FREE WILL". Tell him to not give up and to continue to fight.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:41 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

Will add your buddy to my prayer list.I hope this will come as a reminder for all of us to have regular prostate exams..Very important at our age.(And,not to mention,exposure to herbacides)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page 9.jpg (221.9 KB, 7 views)

Peace,Griz