The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2003, 01:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default my garden so far...

I played hooky today from work...thought I would describe my garden as it looks right now..

It is about 18' x 18'....have had it there for about 12 years. Have put a lot of my own mulch in it and this year added 5 bags of cow manure and quite a lot of redwood mulch. Have 10 tomato plants and by my count have 56 green tomatoes and about 72 blooms. I have 2 green tomatoes that are about 3 1/2" across. Looks like the best garden I have ever had here.
I have 39 blooms on the cucumber plants and about 18 on the squash plants. Some of the stuff I have planted include :

Serrano peppers, Cayenne long peppers, Jalapeno, Tam Jalapeno mild ( first time I have ever seen these here...), Big Bertha sweet bell pepper, Cubanelle pepper, Sweet Banana pepper, Yellow Straight Neck squash, Cucumber, Bush Crop cucumber, 12' Sunflower, Chef Jeff's Premium Whopper Bell Pepper, New Mexico peppers, Better Boy tomato, Better Girl tomato, Tabasco peppers, Chef Jeff's Premium Whopper tomato, Chef Jeff's Heirloom Brandywine tomato, okra, Chef Jeff's Heirloom Marglobe tomato, Chef Jeff's Super Fantastic tomato...

I also have a big planter with compartments in the middle of the garden with these herbs :

Spearmint, Catnip, Basil, Cilantro, Sweet Marjoram, Parsley, Chives, and Bronze Fennel...along the edges I have planted Sage and some Day Lillies..

Everything is doing ok except for the first crop of banana peppers..they have been eaten on some by a rabbit and look kind of sickly. I bought some more, hope they come up ok. I put some granulated fox urine in the garden and it seems to be working. I finally lowered my martin house and cleaned out the sparrow nests for the last time. To date I have disposed of about 32 eggs and 4 babies...those little devils keep busy, don't they ? I guess I am going to have to put gourd houses up if I want any martins in the future. Do any of you guys have shrikes in your area ? A family has taken up residence in my backyard. One of the young ones got stuck in my garage and I had to catch him to get him out, so I got a good look at him. They are brown with a white-stripe across the eyes and make a call sort of like "shrike". First I have ever seen around here..

So what have you planted in your garden ?

Larry
Old 06-02-2003, 03:27 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I'm jealous!

We're far from home in a small 1 bedroom place in Las Vegas where the temperature has been over 100 most days recently.

My garden is not planted at home, no bugs to fight, no weeds to pull, no water to move.

Joy
Old 06-02-2003, 04:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Joy,

Joy do you want me to go down to Yakima and get it started for you?

Keith

I haven't got my vegetables transfered out side yet.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Too busy

Haven't had a garden since I retired. Maybe next year. I'm kind of partial to those yellow tomatoes with the pink inside and pink Geman tomatoes. Nothing like a tomato sandwich: Big old slab of Big Boy tomato on light bread with mayonaise and salt and pepper. Fried squash and fried green tomatoes with corn on the cob just pulled from the garden (silver queen or kandy corn), new potatoes with Little Marvel peas, fried cabbage, good hot icicle radishes, killed lettuce with onions, half runner or greasy beans with raw onion and hot pepper chopped up in them, blackeye peas with raw tomatoes and green pepper chopped up in them and hot cornbread. Mamma, it's good!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Doc what times dinner I'll be there. you only lack the red meat
Old 06-02-2003, 07:45 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks Keith but chaos reigns at home.

Not even sure who's going to be at our house next month.

Joy
Old 06-02-2003, 09:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

With chow like that

Don't need meat, unless you include the fat back.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:03 AM

The only thing I can grow is weeds. Green Thumb I'm not

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 06-04-2003, 07:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Just fought off a probing attack by the 407th cucumber beetle Bn . on my squash and cucumbers. Had plowed the garden before I got burned so have turned to my daughter since . The veggies will be dear to her this year. Trip flair just went up - better go man a spray bottle.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Cool

a garden in sand? I have peach, yellow, and tiger day lillies and crepe myrtle trees and live oaks. In addition I grow mockingbirds and doves which are mine and my sisters indian names and for some reason they love it in my yard. The doves are very protective of the mockingbirds nests from crows or blackbirds and swoop them with their wings if the mockingbird calls in distress to the doves. Sort of like my big sister and I. I love watching these creatures. They have babies right now and I can't sit under my favorite live oak trees without being scolded by mockingbirds and you can hear the babies crying to be fed. We have babies in the front yard and back right now. We have birdbaths that they guard with equal pride and tap their mockingbird feet if we don't keep fresh water daily.It's a lot of work being a bird person tending their garden. Neighbor has a martin house so we benefit too.

Oh yes I have beautiful sagos and palms too. It's a nice little Florida cottage by the sea. Sure do remember those delicious Tennessee tomatoes my mother used to bring down before she died. No one has tomatoes that taste like those!