The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2003, 08:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default chain saw problems

I used to have an small electric chain saw but the chain kept coming off. So over a year ago I bought a gas powered one. Just got around to using it to take care of the storm damaged trees and cannot get it to work. I mixed the oil and gas and filled up the lubricant tank and pulled out the choke and pushed in the litttle red button 5 times etc. The cord is hard to pull. Cranked once but died. Tried a lot of times, but no go. What do you think is wrong ? Thanks.

Larry
Old 08-19-2003, 10:17 AM

Larry,

I had the same problem with one that Karen brought home from a "trash" pile on trash day.

Guess what??

Went to the local parts store and bought a new spark plug, pulled the rope, and wham bam cranked right up.

good luck.......

enough......
Old 08-19-2003, 10:22 AM

Larry,

Don't feel bad I got a small new one too and I can never get the damn thing started. But I go over to my neighbor who has three of them and in two minutes he's got it running - go figure.

I've watched him five times and each time he get's it started I must have done something wrong each time I tried and to this very day - and I'm mechanically inclined - I still fight this bas__d each time I try to use it. I hate it I really hate that chain saw!!!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Those two stroke contraptions can be real pesky and a pain in the butt. My routine is to pop in a dry and clean spark plug before use, give the carb a shot of engine starting either, forget the red rubber primer pump and let her rip. Most often a wet plug is the root cause of crank up problems and that primer pump is a great way to soak a plug especially if there is electrode carbon build up. I keep extra plugs around and clean one up before trying to crank up that critter. Works for me anyway, but that little squirt of either is real key to the process as ya get some hot stuff burning before the cold oil-gas mix comes gushing in. But then purests really frown on starter fluid. I've used it for years for the chain saw, lawn mower, trimmer, etc., and I'm good with the results.

Scamp
Old 08-19-2003, 12:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Larry -
I've used ALOT of chain saws in my life. The above is good advice, there are only a very few things can produce the condition you describe:

- Some saws have a setting halfway between "off" and "run", in that case, with a cold saw, I pull cord at that spot about 10 times before moving the lever to "run" on the first cold start.

- If it truly is a BRAND new saw, then it will have a new plug in it. But, check the plug wire to make sure it is fully connected and that the plug is tightened all the way down.

- Flooding, of course, is always possible on a primable saw. The only way out of that is waiting, as you know.

- Depending on what kind of saw you have, i.e. how good it is (is it Craftsman or Stihl or what, in other words), all problems are either exxagerated or simple to fix. Stihl is the best saw made, in my opinion.

- I have seen saws that will not run simply because the chain has been tightened down too much. This is why I don't let people use or operate my personal saw, nor do I use other people's unless there is no other choice... in which case I go through the entire machine before I try anything on it.

- Cheap saws sometimes take 10-15 pulls on the cord to get fuel and air mixing properly enough to fire and run.

- I have also seen saws not run because the chain is off or cockeyed on the sprocket inside the dust cover.

- If you are totally sure you mixed the fuel/oil correctly, then that won't be a problem.

- The only other thing that could be wrong is having an air filter that is seriously blocked or plugged up, but that shouldn't be a problem if the saw is in fact brand new.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

p.s.

- I forgot to mention the obvious... if the emergency brake lever is forward, nothing will fire up. But if it did turn over once like you say, then that is probably not the cause.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I've had a chain saw for close to 20 years.

When its cold its nearly impossible to start. After it gets going the thing works great. Its been to the shop twice. Mechanic say its just a tempermental rig. I must have put a 100 + cord of wood with that thing. I hate it because it starts so poorly. Love it because once it gets going you can't stop it. Changing plugs and keeping it maintained will make it last but some are just like a woman, you have to know how to handle them correctly to get the most out of them.

Keith
Old 08-19-2003, 02:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

If it won't start and is real tight like you say spray some wd40 on the chain then a shot of gas with a new spark plug. mine won't start unless trigger to the chain is engaged. Dangerious but as long as you know about it no problems. just be sure your not having people to close when you start up... good luck.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

God,. I didn't know these were such a pain in the royal ass. I will get an electric one next time. I had tried everything including taking it apart, loosening the chain, waiting, etc. It started once but the chain wasn't moving. I realized it was the chain brake. Fixed that and it wouldn't start any more. I took it to the shop and the guy tried to start it and said a cuss word. Something about it setting up for over a year. I am pretty sure I mixed everything right. It is a Poulan I bought at Sears over a year ago. Well, it is in the shop now. It is too hot to cut trees now anyway ..LOL. Thanks for all the great info.

Larry
Old 08-20-2003, 05:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 3 setting...

...when cold starting,...

...prime bulb, set trigger, and switch to on, chain slip guard unlocked
...pull out choke to full on,..." the engine should never start on full choke", it should "pop" once,...
...then once that happens, set choke to "mid', and attempt to start again, should start, and idle for 30 seconds or so to warm up,...

...either burns holes in pistons,...

...chain should turn freely, not tight, not loose little stretching happens as they heat up,...

...your prob "varnished up" from sitting, open up what you can get to, and hit it with a can of carb cleaner,...

...check for spark, remove plug, and lean on case(((without holding it yerself" ))), give a few pulls, see spark your ok, then its gas related, no spark, clean the magnito, and flywheel points with a fine sandpaper, if its rusty, take it apart, and clean it up, upon trying to put it back together, there should be ten thousandths gap between the magnito, and the fly wheel, take a regular piece of paper, and lay it on the flywheel, and let the magnito magnet stick to it, that piece of paper is just about perfect for.0010,...

...point s gap is usually .0020, (fold the paper),...

...check your oil, and fuel mix, too much oil will diminish your 'Hot start" temp for firing,...

...if it popped once, sounds like it wants to go, but some chunk of shit broke loose, and plugged your needle valve, ...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk