The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2003, 09:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Perspective

Perspective

I sat in my seat of the Boeing 767 waiting for everyone to hurry and stow their carry-ons and grab a seat so we could start what I was sure to be a long, uneventful flight home. With the huge capacity and slow moving people taking their time to stuff luggage far too big for the overhead and never paying much attention to holding up the growing line behind them, I simply shook my head knowing that this flight was not starting out very well. I was anxious to get home to see my loved ones so I was focused on "my" issues and just felt like standing up and yelling for some of these clowns to get their act together. I knew I couldn't say a word so I just thumbed thru the "Sky Mall" magazine from the seat pocket in front of me.

You know it's really getting rough when you resort to the over priced, useless sky mall crap to break the monotony.

With everyone finally seated, we just sat there with the cabin door open and no one in any hurry to get us going although we were well past the scheduled take off time. No wonder the airline industry is in trouble I told myself. Just then, the attendant came on the intercom to inform us all that we were being delayed.

The entire plane let out a collective groan. She resumed speaking to say" We are holding the aircraft for some very special people who are on their way to the plane and the delay shouldn't be more than 5 minutes. The word came after waiting six times as long as we were promised that "I" was finally going to be on my way home. Why the hoopla over "these" folks? I was expecting some celebrity or sport figure to be the reason for the hold up.........Just get their butts in a seat and lets hit the gas I thought.

The attendant came back on the speaker to announce in a loud and excited voice that we were being joined by several U. S. Marines returning home from Iraq!!!

Just as they walked on board, the entire plane erupted into applause. The men were a bit taken by surprise by the 340 people cheering for them as they searched for their seats. They were having their hands shook and touched by almost everyone who was within an arm's distance of them as they passed down the aisle. One elderly woman kissed the hand of one of the Marines as he passed by her. The applause, whistles and cheering didn't stop for a long time.

When we were finally airborne, "I" was not the only civilian checking his conscience as to the delays in "me" getting home, finding my easy chair, a cold beverage and the remote in my hand. These men had done for all of us and I had been complaining silently about "me" and "my" issues. I took for granted the everyday freedoms I enjoy and the conveniences of the American way of life I took for granted others paid the price for my ability to moan and complain about a few minutes delay to "me" those Heroes going home to their loved ones. I attempted to get my selfish outlook back in order and minutes before we landed I suggested to the attendant that she announce over the speaker a request for everyone to remain in their seats until our hero's were allowed to gather their things and be first off the plane. The cheer! s and applause continued until the last Marine stepped off and we all rose to go about our too often taken for granted everyday freedoms......... I felt proud of them. I felt it an honor and a privilege to be among the first to welcome them home and say Thank You for a job well done. I vowed that I will never forget that flight nor the lesson learned. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU to those Veterans and active servicemen and women who may read this and a prayer for those who cannot because they are no longer with us. GOD BLESS AMERICA! WELCOME HOME! AND THANKS FOR A JOB WELL DONE
!!!!!

This is one person's ribbon for soldiers fighting in Iraq. Pass it on to anyone you'd like to have share it .
Old 08-27-2003, 10:44 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Great story..Sumpin in my eye again.Thanks for sharing it,Darrel&Joy!

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

What Griz said. Thank you
Old 08-28-2003, 05:09 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Good thought but,,,,,

You brought one of those Iraqui sand storms with it,, causes my eyes to water something terrible. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default WOW!

What a beautiful way to start my Thursday. Thanks!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 08-28-2003, 05:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Damned allergies...

....making my eyes water again....
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-28-2003, 05:46 AM

What you gave them was respect and pride in wearing their uniforms and for the service they were called upon to carry out.

It's the old addage that if you think you have it tough their are many others who have things a lot worse. I also remember that old story I wished I had shoes until I saw the guy with no legs.

Well done and thank you for the story. Those kids needed that boost and it will go along way in their lives remembering the welcome they got from a plane load of civies.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-28-2003, 05:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

... about time, great story!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default honors

The honor guard at last night's Bears-Patriots game was made up of 8 sailors (I didn't catch their duty station). They were also warmly received by the crowd who gave them a standing "O" as they walked around the track and they also gave out lots of "high 5's". The ironic thing is that they were all "dry-land sailors", none of whom had been on sea duty or had left the continental US! They were a bit overwhelmed by it all and, of course, I had to toss in a little intra-service needling being an AF vet and all, but it was good to see the uniform and the men in them being cheered again.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Damn sandstorm

is blowing all the way down here in Tampa. God bless them all.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.