The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Doc.2/47

Unhappy Talk to a tree? Commune with a carp?

My computer has been down for several weeks so I haven't been able to get to the site.Don't know if it'll turn back on once I shut it off so I guess I'd best talk fast.

During this time the VA approved my SC PTSD claim so I guess I'm now a psertified psyco-vet.

I never have had any treatment and it seems like getting some might be a good idea so I asked the shrink at Alvin C. York if I could get into a group.He said he thought that was a great idea but that there had been a cutback in funding and that they didn't have groups now.He said that he felt that I really needed to talk things out and suggested that I find a tree in an isolated area and talk to it.When I expressed certain reservations about my ability to relate to plant life he told me that talking to a fish would probably work just as well.

Now I realize that -never haveing had any treatment before-I may have been harboring unrealistic expectations but...talk to a tree?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2003, 10:10 AM

Default Doc

First of all, congrats on getting your PTSD claim settled. I know it was hard tough uphill fight.

Secondly, I think your "shrink" is a little light in the head. If you need to talk, there are plenty of vets on this site who have fought their own battles with PTSD and I'm sure would be more than willing to help you with yours. All you need to do is ask.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Doc

Vet Center
2817 E. Magnolia Ave
Knoxville, Tn 423-545-4680

They may have a group in the Nashville area or use them if Knoxville ain't too far. I would suggest giving them a call. Maybe you could get hold of them by "telegraph vine" while talking to a tree. Seriously, give them a buzz.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Talk to a tree, communicate with a carp?

Are you sure the shrink doesn't need a little help.?

Seriously, If you need someone to unload on send me an PM and we'll hook up on the e-mail. AS a minister I do have privileged communication. And, it sure is a lot better than talking to a tree or a carp.

Keith
Old 09-15-2003, 01:28 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Well

Doc2,
Only talking to trees or fish sounds a bit odd, however not all that bad. For years I would focus all my anger on cord wood (for the fire place). Talking to and smashing the wood with an axe or mall did wonders. It's sort of like being mad and going into the woods to kill something, that always works (for me). But there are those who were concerned about our area being void of birds and little critters so talking to the cord wood seems better for everyone.

Speaking out loud, saying how you really feel is important. If there are things that you would be shy about saying to another person I see nothing wrong with talking to a maple. Avoid talking the hemlock they seem to have no empathy.

Who or what you talk to is important. Do the trees until you get into a group but talk to people as soon as you can. You know sometimes I talk to wood to hear what it sounds like before saying it to a shrink. On some occasions you can actually figure out the problem just from hearing yourself.

Yes, Packo and Keith are the pro's in this field, no doubt there. I'm just a - been there, done that guy. Oh, avoid the fish. Your in the middle of a conversation with a catfish, say something they don't agree with and they'll just turn around and leave.

Stay, Get Healthy,
Andy
Old 09-15-2003, 01:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Most psychiatrists I have met need a psychiatrist. They are only useful for prescribing meds. Vet Centers are the ticket for groups.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Doc.2/47

I really appriciate the responses.Glad I'm not the only one who wonders if this guy is playing with a full deck;thought it might just be me.Seems like a nice enough guy but a little odd.His being from the middle-east (India?Pakistan?)dosen't help much.Keep wondering if I say the wrong thing weather I'll go home and find a 747 sticking out of the roof.

Paco,thank you for the address and phone#.I've written them down and may well give them a call.Only problem is that that is a good 3-4 hr. drive from here.Be quicker to get to Atlanta.Would you happen to know of any groups in northern Ala. or Ga.?

Thanks Keith I very much appriciate the offer.Thing is I'm still not altogether convinced that "talking things out" is such a hot idea.I mean I've spent the last 30-odd years telling myself:"It happened.Get over it.Forget it and move on."While I'm willing to admit that this hasn't worked as well as I might have hoped,I HAVE managed to pretty much put the night deamons to sleep.I don't really want to risk wakeing the rascals back up.One thing I DO know for a fact is that if I just gotta talk it's gonna be with guys like y'all that I don't have to lead by the hand and explain where I'm coming from.

Andy,I am also aware of the value of ax and mall and talking ("swearing" might be more accurate in my case) to(at)cordwood as wood has been the primary sourse of heat in our home for the last 15 years.Unfortuneately we built a new home with central heat and air and I'm going to have to come up with an alternative.Did try talking to the trees while squirrel hunting and and didn't get any response or squirrels.Must be doing something wrong.Added willows (too depressed) and thorn trees (too defensive) to the don't talk to list.Maybe takeing an ax along would help them "open up".Haven't tried the fish yet.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The guy was not totally off. Talking out loud seems to be helpful. My counselor at the Vet Center says if you are having memories coming up and upsetting you, instead of shoving it back down only for it to come up again, talk or cuss it out loud. Stating feelings out loud seems to let some of them out of you.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Doc

Looks like in Alabama: Birmingham and Mobile

Georgia: Atlanta and Savannah

None of these look close but there is one in Chattanooga.

Is that closer?

Here's the address:

Vet Center Chattanooga
951 Eastgate loop Rd Bldg. 5700
Suite 300
Chattanooga Tn 37411

423-855-6570

If that's closer....pick me up some Moon Pies if you go!

Packo

PS Some Vet Centers also do outreach to other communities since they have such few locations. You might call the Atlanta and Chattanooga Centers to find out if they have a group somewhere near. When I worked in Martinsburg, I ran groups in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia, using donated facilities. Once a week the Savannah Vet Center runs a group here in Beaufort. Get my drift? Check it out and good luck.

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Doc.2/47

Thanks a bunch Paco!Chattanooga sounds like just the ticket.I'm about a close to them as I am to Nashville (which I've been told doesn't have group running at present)and it may even be a slightly quicker drive.