The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2003, 09:45 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default To all and esp billr and Paco please read

Gimpy's post on the Senate testimony on republican plan to reduce VA benefits.

We need to talk these are some huge changes that if passedare going to impact the way we (meaning Veterans and their families) are treated for a long time to come.

Peace out....

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2003, 06:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Gimpy's Posts

are right on!

I receive some of the same updates from the DAV, PVA. I am apalled to say the least. All the Service Organizations are against this, from what I understand. It is ridiculous.

We have to begin by contacting your Senators and Congressmen from your state and write an articulate, appropriate letter to them explaining in no uncertain terms how this is not "a promise kept".

I truly believe this is happening to stop concurrent receipt, and that they have no intention of doing this. They will hear the outrage and vote against concurrent receipt saying that it will hurt service-connected vets. It's the ol' Potomac two step. It goes like this.........yeah, you can have concurrent receipt, but you have to give up this....pitting retiree's against just regular SC'd vets. It's sick.

I got the email from the DAV today and will be writing and calling my representitives....PRONTO.

Gimpy, thanks so much for getting this stuff up on the board.

Sis, as always, thanks so much for caring.

I will say this, though.....I have heard retirees at this facility state that they really don't care what happens, as long as they get their disability and their retirement. Not a great attitude.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-25-2003, 09:07 AM

Sis - You're right that this would have a huge impact on future veterans' and their survivors' ability to receive VA benefits. This has drawn fire not just from the DAV but from all the Service Organizations. It appears that the voices of veterans disgusted with this proposal are being heard. This is from an e-mail I received this morning from Armed Forces News.

House Stiffens on Concurrent Receipt Plan
An agreement between House Republican leaders and the White
House for concurrent receipt of military retired pay and VA
disability compensation may face the scrap pile, according
to reports. The plan, which would include a severe cutback
in future VA disability awards, has run into vehement
opposition from several veterans' groups and others.
Meanwhile, in a race against the time clock, House and Senate
lawmakers have shifted priorities from fixing concurrent
receipt to fixing temporary monthly imminent-danger pay
and family-separation allowance increases that are due to
revert Oct. 1. Although the House and Senate agree on
extending the temporary pays, their versions in the fiscal
2004 defense authorization bill vary and must be hammered
together soon or deployed troops will face a reduction in
pays.

Paco - You hit the nail on the head. I agree that this whole thing was a tactic to convince the Conference Committee to remove Concurrent Receipt from the Defense Authorizaiton bill and I believe it will work.

Also, it is hard to believe but there are indeed organizations and individuals that are willing to sacrifice the benefits of future veterans as long as they can get their's now. I would like to see those same 400+ General Officers who signed the letter supporting Concurrent Receipt, come forth with a letter opposing any proposal to short-change future veterans through back-room negotiations.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:07 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default We ALL have a voice

Let`s be sure to make it heard-LOUD AND CLEAR! We can`t sit idly by and be wall flowers at the ball,lest the "Potomac Two-Step" continues.Write,call,or e-mail your reps in Washington and remind them who you are and why they`re there.SUPPORT the Service Organizations (DAV,PAV,VVA,etc.) for without them we would be screwed...worse.

Peace,Griz
Old 09-29-2003, 07:38 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Thank you to those that responded to these two threads and to those that read them.

It was very disturbing to me to read that some fell for the congressional two step and were willing to sell their brothers and sisters down the river.

We may scrap and argue and get to rowdy here with each other but one thing I'm confident of; those I have known for so long on both these sites would fly the international sign of contempt to anyone that would suggest they sell their brother or sister for thirty pieces of silver.

God bless you all from my heart...

Peace out.....

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."